Thanks

Harvey Nimmo
Thanks to all those heroes who have been making gramps 5 work. It looks
very good!

Cheers

Harvey

Re: Thanks

Simon C. Tremblay
Hello guys,

I'm eager to test out that brand new v5.0. Would I run into trouble if I open the db in 5.0 64 bits on one machine and then on 4.2.8 32 bits on an other one?

Simon

On Mon, 30 Jul 2018 at 17:25, Harvey Nimmo <[hidden email]> wrote:
Thanks to all those heroes who have been making gramps 5 work. It looks
very good!

Cheers

Harvey

Re: Thanks

Nick Hall
On 31/07/18 13:32, Simon C. Tremblay wrote:
> I'm eager to test out that brand new v5.0. Would I run into trouble if
> I open the db in 5.0 64 bits on one machine and then on 4.2.8 32 bits
> on an other one?

There is a minor database schema upgrade between v4.2 and v5.0, but the
XML schema remains the same.

You should be able to open a v5.0 XML backup in v4.2, but I haven't
tested it.

Re: Thanks

Harvey Nimmo
On Tue, 2018-07-31 at 13:48 +0100, Nick Hall wrote:

> On 31/07/18 13:32, Simon C. Tremblay wrote:
> > I'm eager to test out that brand new v5.0. Would I run into trouble
> > if
> > I open the db in 5.0 64 bits on one machine and then on 4.2.8 32
> > bits
> > on an other one?
> >

> There is a minor database schema upgrade between v4.2 and v5.0, but
> the
> XML schema remains the same.
>
> You should be able to open a v5.0 XML backup in v4.2, but I haven't
> tested it.
>
> Nick.

I would advise you to use an XML backup without media. I tried to
create a SQLite database by importing an XML file with media and it
complained about an invalid token on line 1 col 9. Importing the
equivalent XML without media worked perfectly and found the media as
well (because I hadn't moved them anyway).

Cheers
Harvey

Re: Thanks

enno
Hello Harvey,

> I would advise you to use an XML backup without media. I tried to
> create a SQLite database by importing an XML file with media and it
> complained about an invalid token on line 1 col 9.
I see no reason for Gramps complaining, except in case of a bug.

Can you reproduce this, and maybe attach the XML with media to a bug
report? It may be too big, and in that case, sharing the file on Dropbox
may work better.