The definition of "private"

Don Allingham
I'm doing some final clean up on the new web page generator, and I'm
looking for some clarity on what to do with people marked as "private".

Currently, anyone marked "private" does not have a page, and appears in
the listings as only "Private".

The question is:

How should the marriage information of a person be displayed when the
spouse is marked private, but the person is not?

The current implementation displays the marriage data, but identifies
the spouse as "Private". Is this sufficient, or should we suppress the
person's marriage information even though they are not marked as
private?

An example of the current implementation can be seen at:

http://gramps-project.org/samples/narrative/0BALTPRMA3H3V42NW.html

Don

Re: The definition of "private"

Eero Tamminen
Hi,

> I'm doing some final clean up on the new web page generator, and I'm
> looking for some clarity on what to do with people marked as "private".
>
> Currently, anyone marked "private" does not have a page, and appears in
> the listings as only "Private".

What if person has (e.g. non-legitimate) child, is the information that
there is a child shown even if the information about the child itself is
not shown (when child is marked as private)?

(The reason why I ask about this is that recently in Finland there was
a lawsuit about a genealogy book that had revealed such a child, and
the publisher lost.)

> The question is:
>
> How should the marriage information of a person be displayed when the
> spouse is marked private, but the person is not?
>
> The current implementation displays the marriage data, but identifies
> the spouse as "Private". Is this sufficient, or should we suppress the
> person's marriage information even though they are not marked as
> private?

Well, if it's a registered union between two people, the information is
public, right?

So, maybe this should be consider the type of the "marriage"...

        - Eero

> An example of the current implementation can be seen at:
>
> http://gramps-project.org/samples/narrative/0BALTPRMA3H3V42NW.html
>
> Don

Re: The definition of "private"

Theo Carr-Brion
I have lots of problems with the gramps web site generator and privacy. I
would like to show dates of birth on the index page as it helps when lots of
people have the same name but this shows the dates of birth for everyone.

I have been given information for my family tree by lots of people sometimes
via a third party. I have no way of contacting and asking permission for all
people who may be still living so I wish to show as little as possible. I
would like an option to either completely hide living people or just show
them without their first names. An option to selectively include living
people could also be useful.

Theo Carr-Brion