The "People related to <Person>" filter

Ron Johnson
Is that only "blood", or does it mean "people connected in any way to <Person>"?

If it's only blood, is there a filter for "people connected in any way to <Person>"? (That would be really useful for times like when you want to send only part of your tree to someone.)

Re: The "People related to <Person>" filter

Dave Scheipers
Hi Ron,

People related to <Person> is misleading as it finds all people that has a path to the base person no matter how convoluted and not necessarily "related".

When I want to send the actual branches of a particular relative these are the filters I use.

Filter 1
>> Ancestral filters >> Ancestors of <person>
or       >>  Ancestors of <person> not more than <N> generations away

Filter 2
>> Descendent filters >> Descendant family member of <Filter 1> match

This is the filter you actually run after setting the person in Filter 1. The second filter includes spouses but not extended in-laws or second families of spouses which may have step children that you may or may not want. It's To get the extended in-laws and step families...

Filter 3
>> General Filters >> People matching the <Filter 2>
>> Family Filters >> Spouses of <Filter 2> match
>> Family Filters >> Child of <Filter 2> match
>> Family Filters >> Parents of <Filter 2> match
>> Family Filters >> Siblings of <Filter 2> match

Options >> At least one rule must apply

The last filter can include which of the extra people you want or not. And depending on the size of the database, this can take a while to make the selections. The filter does the select spouses, children, etc of relatives again but I haven't figured a way to do these extra selections on just the non-related spouses.

And FYI. Once you create filters that you want to keep from one version to another. Filters are stored custom_filters.xml in your user folder (i.e. gramps42) When gramps50 comes out, you can copy the file to the new folder and not have to recreate the filters above.

Hope this helped, Dave

On Thu, Mar 30, 2017 at 7:07 PM, Ron Johnson <[hidden email]> wrote:
Is that only "blood", or does it mean "people connected in any way to <Person>"?

If it's only blood, is there a filter for "people connected in any way to <Person>"? (That would be really useful for times like when you want to send only part of your tree to someone.)

Re: The "People related to <Person>" filter

Instead of all that work, what if you remove a "strategic link" and then use the "People related to <Person>" filter?

For example, "my" tree is really my children's tree, since it has my wife's tree in it too.  If I only want to send my specific sub-tree to a cousin, why couldn't I remove myself as husband from my Family object and the run "People related to <me>"?  After I extract that sub-tree, I then add myself back to my family.

On 03/30/2017 07:00 PM, Dave Scheipers wrote:
Hi Ron,

People related to <Person> is misleading as it finds all people that has a path to the base person no matter how convoluted and not necessarily "related".

When I want to send the actual branches of a particular relative these are the filters I use.

Filter 1
>> Ancestral filters >> Ancestors of <person>
or       >>  Ancestors of <person> not more than <N> generations away

Filter 2
>> Descendent filters >> Descendant family member of <Filter 1> match

This is the filter you actually run after setting the person in Filter 1. The second filter includes spouses but not extended in-laws or second families of spouses which may have step children that you may or may not want. It's To get the extended in-laws and step families...

Filter 3
>> General Filters >> People matching the <Filter 2>
>> Family Filters >> Spouses of <Filter 2> match
>> Family Filters >> Child of <Filter 2> match
>> Family Filters >> Parents of <Filter 2> match
>> Family Filters >> Siblings of <Filter 2> match

Options >> At least one rule must apply

The last filter can include which of the extra people you want or not. And depending on the size of the database, this can take a while to make the selections. The filter does the select spouses, children, etc of relatives again but I haven't figured a way to do these extra selections on just the non-related spouses.

And FYI. Once you create filters that you want to keep from one version to another. Filters are stored custom_filters.xml in your user folder (i.e. gramps42) When gramps50 comes out, you can copy the file to the new folder and not have to recreate the filters above.

Hope this helped, Dave

On Thu, Mar 30, 2017 at 7:07 PM, Ron Johnson <[hidden email]> wrote:
Is that only "blood", or does it mean "people connected in any way to <Person>"?

If it's only blood, is there a filter for "people connected in any way to <Person>"? (That would be really useful for times like when you want to send only part of your tree to someone.)

Re: The "People related to <Person>" filter

Dave Scheipers
If it works for you, of course you can do that. We each maintain and manipulate our databases as we want. There is no one way to do anything. We share tips and how we do things as suggestions only.

I have a fairly large database so I use the filter option because to keep track of which links I'd have to break or make private would cause me to lose the last few strands of hair on my head. The same filters can be used for other cousins when they want their branch. I just have to change the person in filter1.

Bottom line, if it works for you, do it.

The only strongly worded suggestion anyone should heed... Backup... Backup... backup!

Dave