This is a first ...

Allan Topp-2
I've had all kinds of niggles with GRAMPS but never a true bug.

But now I have one.

I just added 2 people to the tree and, despite repeated generations of
the web report, they do not show up in either the Individuals or
Surnames lists.  But I guess the latter leads to the former and so it
really is one problem.  I should say that both individuals are in the
database and accessible from links to others and themselves.  They're
just not in the index/indices.

I am using 3.3 and this IS the first additions I have made in this version.

So!  Is this a problem with 3.3?  Or can someone speculate what I might
have done incorrectly and how I can fix it.

TIA.

Re: This is a first ...

Gary Burton
Hello Allan,

The first thing that springs to mind is to check if there is anything about these individuals which conflicts with the settings on the Narrated Web Site Privacy tab. So are they marked as private or is the web report set up to exclude living people & these people are determined as living? If the web report is configured to exclude living people then there is a 'years from death' value to check which the report uses to determine if a person is alive or not.

Bye

Gary

> I've had all kinds of niggles with GRAMPS but never a true bug.
>
> But now I have one.
>
> I just added 2 people to the tree and, despite repeated generations of
> the web report, they do not show up in either the Individuals or
> Surnames lists.  But I guess the latter leads to the former and so it
> really is one problem.  I should say that both individuals are in the
> database and accessible from links to others and themselves.  They're
> just not in the index/indices.
>
> I am using 3.3 and this IS the first additions I have made in this version.
>
> So!  Is this a problem with 3.3?  Or can someone speculate what I might
> have done incorrectly and how I can fix it.
>
> TIA.

Re: This is a first ...

Peter Hewett-2
On Fri, 30 Sep 2011 08:04:03 Allan Topp wrote:

> I've had all kinds of niggles with GRAMPS but never a true bug.
>
> But now I have one.
>
> I just added 2 people to the tree and, despite repeated generations of
> the web report, they do not show up in either the Individuals or
> Surnames lists.  But I guess the latter leads to the former and so it
> really is one problem.  I should say that both individuals are in the
> database and accessible from links to others and themselves.  They're
> just not in the index/indices.
>
> I am using 3.3 and this IS the first additions I have made in this version.
>
> So!  Is this a problem with 3.3?  Or can someone speculate what I might
> have done incorrectly and how I can fix it.

I had similar problem when I inadvertantly entered the surnames into the
surname prefix field.
The prefix field is the first field after the label "Surname:" on the person
dialog box.  It is for prefixes like "van" and such.
In my case, the "missing" people were in the people listing, but they were
right up the top with all the individuals who do not have a surname.

HTH

Peter

Re: This is a first ...

Allan Topp-2
I was caught by the default living filter when I switched to 3.3.  After
the mild heart attack I turned it off ... and there it remains.  Off.

So that isn't the problem.  Unfortunately.  That would be real easy to fix.

On 09/30/2011 03:16 AM, Gary Burton wrote:
> The first thing that springs to mind is to check if there is anything about these individuals which conflicts with the settings on the Narrated Web Site Privacy tab. So are they marked as private or is the web report set up to exclude living people&  these people are determined as living? If the web report is configured to exclude living people then there is a 'years from death' value to check which the report uses to determine if a person is alive or not.

Re: This is a first ...

Allan Topp-2
Bingo!

That's it!!  I also did so inadvertently.

Thanks for your candour.

On 09/30/2011 04:49 AM, Peter Hewett wrote:
> I had similar problem when I inadvertantly entered the surnames into the
> surname prefix field.
> The prefix field is the first field after the label "Surname:" on the person
> dialog box.  It is for prefixes like "van" and such.
> In my case, the "missing" people were in the people listing, but they were
> right up the top with all the individuals who do not have a surname.

Re: This is a first ...

derHeinzi

That makes at least two people making the same mistake on input of data in a dialog. Could the dialog be made more clear? Or give a message (popup) on input of prefix without surname (which is an unlikely combination)?
Just a thought.

> That's it!!  I also did so inadvertently.
>
> Thanks for your candour.
>

> On 09/30/2011 04:49 AM, Peter Hewett wrote:
> > I had similar problem when I inadvertantly entered the
> surnames into the
> > surname prefix field.
> > The prefix field is the first field after the label
> "Surname:" on the person
> > dialog box.  It is for prefixes like "van" and
> such.
> > In my case, the "missing" people were in the people
> listing, but they were
> > right up the top with all the individuals who do not
> have a surname.

> All of the data generated in your IT infrastructure is
> seriously valuable.
> Why? It contains a definitive record of application
> performance, security
> threats, fraudulent activity, and more. Splunk takes this
> data and makes
> http://p.sf.net/sfu/splunk-d2dcopy2

Re: This is a first ...

Allan Topp-2
Dunno.

It certainly is not a mistake I will make again.

As I said, these were my first additions in 3.3.  I think this field is
new in 3.3 (certainly in position) and I didn't have any synapses fire
to warn me that I was inputting incorrectly.  Nor indeed do I have any
ancestors who need the field.

I'd almost think the "qualifier" would be better after the surname, even
if that is totally incorrect and perhaps counter-intuitive ...

2011/9/30 Heinz Brinker <[hidden email]>

That makes at least two people making the same mistake on input of data in a dialog. Could the dialog be made more clear? Or give a message (popup) on input of prefix without surname (which is an unlikely combination)?
Just a thought.

The field does say 'prefix' in light grey. The only other thing we can do is to give the field again a label as in 3.2, but that eats a lot space....

A person with some interface design experience made a mock up and we implemented it.
If we do too much hand holding in the interfaces, things would become really ugly.

Benny

> That's it!!  I also did so inadvertently.
>
> Thanks for your candour.
>

> On 09/30/2011 04:49 AM, Peter Hewett wrote:
> > I had similar problem when I inadvertantly entered the
> surnames into the
> > surname prefix field.
> > The prefix field is the first field after the label
> "Surname:" on the person
> > dialog box.  It is for prefixes like "van" and
> such.
> > In my case, the "missing" people were in the people
> listing, but they were
> > right up the top with all the individuals who do not
> have a surname.

> All of the data generated in your IT infrastructure is
> seriously valuable.
> Why? It contains a definitive record of application
> performance, security
> threats, fraudulent activity, and more. Splunk takes this
> data and makes
> http://p.sf.net/sfu/splunk-d2dcopy2

Re: This is a first ...

Mike Evans-2
On Thursday 06 Oct 2011 10:41:47 Benny Malengier wrote:

> 2011/9/30 Heinz Brinker <[hidden email]>
>
> > That makes at least two people making the same mistake on input of data
> > in a dialog. Could the dialog be made more clear? Or give a message
> > (popup) on input of prefix without surname (which is an unlikely
> > combination)? Just a thought.
>
> The field does say 'prefix' in light grey. The only other thing we can do
> is to give the field again a label as in 3.2, but that eats a lot
> space....
>
> A person with some interface design experience made a mock up and we
> implemented it.
> If we do too much hand holding in the interfaces, things would become
> really ugly.
>
> Benny

What about changing the tab order so that the surname field is after the given
field?  Personally I hardly ever need the other fields and a tab to surname
would be better than the current schema and reduces the likelyhood of filling in
the prefix field accidentally.

Mike E

GPG Key: 1024D/050895C2
Keyserver: http://pgp.mit.edu/
Search String: 0x050895C2

Re: This is a first ...

Benny Malengier

2011/10/6 Mike Evans <[hidden email]>
On Thursday 06 Oct 2011 10:41:47 Benny Malengier wrote:
> 2011/9/30 Heinz Brinker <[hidden email]>
>
> > That makes at least two people making the same mistake on input of data
> > in a dialog. Could the dialog be made more clear? Or give a message
> > (popup) on input of prefix without surname (which is an unlikely
> > combination)? Just a thought.
>
> The field does say 'prefix' in light grey. The only other thing we can do
> is to give the field again a label as in 3.2, but that eats a lot
> space....
>
> A person with some interface design experience made a mock up and we
> implemented it.
> If we do too much hand holding in the interfaces, things would become
> really ugly.
>
> Benny

What about changing the tab order so that the surname field is after the given
field?  Personally I hardly ever need the other fields and a tab to surname
would be better than the current schema and reduces the likelyhood of filling in
the prefix field accidentally.

Personally I need long given name field. 3 Given names that can be long are no exception.

Benny

Mike E

On Thursday 06 Oct 2011 11:12:05 Mike Evans wrote:

> On Thursday 06 Oct 2011 10:41:47 Benny Malengier wrote:
> > 2011/9/30 Heinz Brinker <[hidden email]>
> >
> > > That makes at least two people making the same mistake on input of data
> > > in a dialog. Could the dialog be made more clear? Or give a message
> > > (popup) on input of prefix without surname (which is an unlikely
> > > combination)? Just a thought.
> >
> > The field does say 'prefix' in light grey. The only other thing we can do
> > is to give the field again a label as in 3.2, but that eats a lot
> > space....
> >
> > A person with some interface design experience made a mock up and we
> > implemented it.
> > If we do too much hand holding in the interfaces, things would become
> > really ugly.
> >
> > Benny
>
> What about changing the tab order so that the surname field is after the
> given field?  Personally I hardly ever need the other fields and a tab to
> surname would be better than the current schema and reduces the likelyhood
> of filling in the prefix field accidentally.
>
> Mike E
Just remembered that glade and GTK doesn't support changes in tab ordering.
Mike E

You can catch the tab press however, and then put cursor on a field, but that would be a hack.

Talking of this, I believe we have a bug that Alt+S does not jump to the surname field.
It goes to nothing or sources tab on my PC.

Benny

Mike E

On Thursday 06 Oct 2011 12:19:41 Benny Malengier wrote:

> 2011/10/6 Mike Evans <[hidden email]>

> > data

> > do

> > > What about changing the tab order so that the surname field is after
> > > the given field?  Personally I hardly ever need the other fields and a
> > > tab to surname would be better than the current schema and reduces the
> >
> > likelyhood
> >
> > > of filling in the prefix field accidentally.
> > >
> > > Mike E
> >
> > Just remembered that glade and GTK doesn't support changes in tab
> > ordering.
>
> You can catch the tab press however, and then put cursor on a field, but
> that would be a hack.
>
> Talking of this, I believe we have a bug that Alt+S does not jump to the
> surname field.
> It goes to nothing or sources tab on my PC.
>
> Benny
I can confirm that.  Are you going to file the bug?  There are several duplicate
shortcuts on this form, which is a tad confusing.  There really should only be
unique shortcuts on a form so ALT+S should have only on destination.  Same for
ALT+[i,a,n], ALT+a has FOUR destinations!

Mike E

In other languages it can even be more difficult.
Bug: http://www.gramps-project.org/bugs/view.php?id=5281

Benny

Mike E

GPG Key: 1024D/050895C2
Keyserver: http://pgp.mit.edu/
Search String: 0x050895C2

Re: This is a first ...

Peter Hewett-2
On Thu, 06 Oct 2011 22:41:47 Benny Malengier wrote:

> 2011/9/30 Heinz Brinker <[hidden email]>
>
> > That makes at least two people making the same mistake on input of data
> > in a dialog. Could the dialog be made more clear? Or give a message
> > (popup) on input of prefix without surname (which is an unlikely
> > combination)? Just a thought.
>
> The field does say 'prefix' in light grey. The only other thing we can do
> is to give the field again a label as in 3.2, but that eats a lot
> space....
>
> A person with some interface design experience made a mock up and we
> implemented it.
> If we do too much hand holding in the interfaces, things would become
> really ugly.

I think Heinz's suggestion of a popup might be the most elegant.
This message would appear, saying "are you sure?" or similar, if the user
clicked ok on a person dialog that had a prefix but no surname.

The other thought is, why is the prefix kept in a different field anyway?  I
don't recall seeing surnames handled this way by other genealogy programmes.
It might be rather difficult to make a fundamental change like this, though.

cheers

Peter

Re: This is a first ...

Benny Malengier

2011/10/6 Peter Hewett <[hidden email]>
On Thu, 06 Oct 2011 22:41:47 Benny Malengier wrote:
> 2011/9/30 Heinz Brinker <[hidden email]>
>
> > That makes at least two people making the same mistake on input of data
> > in a dialog. Could the dialog be made more clear? Or give a message
> > (popup) on input of prefix without surname (which is an unlikely
> > combination)? Just a thought.
>
> The field does say 'prefix' in light grey. The only other thing we can do
> is to give the field again a label as in 3.2, but that eats a lot
> space....
>
> A person with some interface design experience made a mock up and we
> implemented it.
> If we do too much hand holding in the interfaces, things would become
> really ugly.

I think Heinz's suggestion of a popup might be the most elegant.
This message would appear, saying "are you sure?" or similar, if the user
clicked ok on a person dialog that had a prefix but no surname.

The other thought is, why is the prefix kept in a different field anyway?  I
don't recall seeing surnames handled this way by other genealogy programmes.

Because Gramps is more international :-)

Benny

It might be rather difficult to make a fundamental change like this, though.

cheers

Peter

Re: This is a first ...

Helge@Gramps

I would like to suggest too to have a tab order having surname behind name and a warning if there is no surname.

In general: It would be great if the user could define his personal tab order for each editor! If I enter data I and I think every user too we all have our personal way to enter data. And we all want to that as easy as possible.
And I would like to do that not as today: enter a value than use the mouse to go to the next field (because there are some time more than 2 fields until the next used typically by me), enter a value than use the mouse to go to the next field etc.
May also be it could be good to have tabular input editor in some cases too for entering data. Than instead a tab order one could use the row order to select his choice of input order.
Is this an idea where more user are interested in? If so, I would add a feature request.

-Helge

Re: This is a first ...

Benny Malengier

2011/10/7 Helge@Gramps <[hidden email]>
Hi,

I would like to suggest too to have a tab order having surname behind name
and a warning if there is no surname.

In general: It would be great if the user could define his personal tab
order for each editor! If I enter data I and I think every user too we all
have our personal way to enter data. And we all want to that as easy as
possible.
And I would like to do that not as today: enter a value than use the mouse
to go to the next field (because there are some time more than 2 fields
until the next used typically by me), enter a value than use the mouse to go
to the next field etc.

Things will always be non-ideal for somebody.
To hit tab two times to move a field (or shift+tab) is, in my opinion, not much of a dealbreaker.

Feel free to make a feature request on a personal tab order. I'm not sure however if you mean here hitting the tab key, or the order of the notebook tabs.

Benny