Thoughts about a "Person of Interest" feature?

Thoughts about a "Person of Interest" feature?

Jesse Meyer
Hello,

I use Gramps as my main research organization tool.  As is probably the case with many other genealogists (amateur or professional) I tend to find people who I can't "fit" into a family relationship, but I would like to continue to research.

For example, a next-door neighbor or boarder with the same surname, or old photos with names but an unknown relationship to the family.  Many are suspected but unproven relatives.

These aren't family members until proven, so I don't want to link them into the family tree with traditional links.  However, I also don't want to leave them dangling unconnected to anyone.  And I'd prefer to have the same abilities as any other individual in the tree when it comes to adding events, sources, media, etc.

Is there a way to easily do this?  I cannot find one.

Which makes me think - perhaps we can have a "person of interest" relationship for individuals or families.  For example, if I have a "John Smith" family already linked into the family tree, and there's a "Robert Smith" as his next-door neighbor, I would be suspicious of a link.  So I could add "Robert Smith" as a "person of interest" relationship to John Smith, which would show up in the "Relationships" view (and on various reports, etc).

Later, if a link is proven, "Robert Smith" could be moved to the appropriate place in the family tree.

Thoughts?

Re: Thoughts about a "Person of Interest" feature?

enno
Hi Jesse,
[...]

You can create any kind of association in the way described for godfather/godmother here:

http://www.gramps-project.org/wiki/index.php?title=Add_a_godfather-godmother

All you have to do for that is follow the instructions written there, replacing the Godfather Association type by your own definition of the relationship . You can type that where you read Godfather right away, and I think that the definition will be memorized by Gramps, so that you can choose it from the drop down list next time.

As far as I know, associations don't show in the relationships view, and I have no experience with reports. They will be visible in the references Gramplet though.

regards,

Problem with gedcom export on version 4.0.0

Hivernat Emmanuel
Hello,

I'm using Gramps 4.0.0 (french) for one week, i have a problem with
GedCom export I have the following message :

65114: ERROR: _exportassistant.py: line 600: Erreur lors de
l'exportation de votre arbre familial
Traceback (most recent call last):
   File
"/usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/gramps/gui/plug/export/_exportassistant.py",
line 596, in save
     self.option_box_instance)
   File
"/usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/gramps/plugins/export/exportgedcom.py", line
1455, in export_data
     ret = ged_write.write_gedcom_file(filename)
   File
"/usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/gramps/plugins/export/exportgedcom.py", line
242, in write_gedcom_file
     self._individuals()
   File
"/usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/gramps/plugins/export/exportgedcom.py", line
400, in _individuals
     self._person(self.dbase.get_person_from_handle(data[1]))
   File
"/usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/gramps/plugins/export/exportgedcom.py", line
445, in _person
     self._addresses(person)
   File
"/usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/gramps/plugins/export/exportgedcom.py", line
666, in _addresses
     self.__date(2, addr.get_date_object())
AttributeError: 'GedcomWriter' object has no attribute '_GedcomWriter__date'

i've checked python 2.7 and 3.3 are both install  I don't understand
what happens
Does somebody have an idea?

Thanks
Best Regards

-- Manu --

Re: Problem with gedcom export on version 4.0.0

enno
Hello Manu,
> I'm using Gramps 4.0.0 (french) for one week, i have a problem with
> GedCom export
This is a known problem when exporting persons with addresses, and it's
solved in version 4.0.1, which is not available for download yet. You
can't do much about this yourself, sorry about that.

regards,

Re: Problem with gedcom export on version 4.0.0

Paul Franklin-5
Depending on your skill level, and what you feel comfortable
doing, at least two possibilities are available, if you don't
want to wait for gramps 4.0.1 (which is tentatively scheduled
to be released in late June).

One possibility is that you could find the relevant file on your
machine and manually edit it.  The file is called exportgedcom.py
(but there may be more than one, depending on what you
have done on your machine in the past).  There are two lines
which need changing and they can be seen in this:
http://sourceforge.net/p/gramps/code/22424/tree//branches/maintenance/gramps40/gramps/plugins/export/exportgedcom.py?diff=5074d46abfc09e08ccc81d4d:22423

The other possibility is that having found that file, you could
rename it to something (such as exportgedcom.py.orig) and
then replace it with a downloaded file which has the correct lines:
http://sourceforge.net/p/gramps/code/22424/tree/branches/maintenance/gramps40/gramps/plugins/export/exportgedcom.py?format=raw

You should do either one of those with gramps not running
of course.  In either case the next time that gramps is run it
will use the new file instead of the old file.

On 06/02/2013 03:19 PM, Enno Borgsteede wrote:
> Hello Manu,
>> I'm using Gramps 4.0.0 (french) for one week, i have a problem with
>> GedCom export
> This is a known problem when exporting persons with addresses, and it's
> solved in version 4.0.1, which is not available for download yet. You
> can't do much about this yourself, sorry about that.

Never use version x.0.0, huh? :)

--
"There are no solutions; there are only tradeoffs."
Thomas Sowell

Re: Problem with gedcom export on version 4.0.0

Hivernat Emmanuel
Thanks for all

I've modified the file exportgedcom.py  and it works fine

Thanks to  Paul Franklin and Enno Borgsteede for your efficient support

Regards

-- Manu --

On Sun, Jun 2, 2013 at 12:56 PM, Enno Borgsteede <[hidden email]> wrote:
You can create any kind of association in the way described for godfather/godmother here:

http://www.gramps-project.org/wiki/index.php?title=Add_a_godfather-godmother

All you have to do for that is follow the instructions written there, replacing the Godfather Association type by your own definition of the relationship . You can type that where you read Godfather right away, and I think that the definition will be memorized by Gramps, so that you can choose it from the drop down list next time.

As far as I know, associations don't show in the relationships view, and I have no experience with reports. They will be visible in the references Gramplet though.

Thanks!  I didn't know about associations.

Is there any reason why associations shouldn't display in relationships view?  It seems kind of useful.  Perhaps that's the feature I should request.

2013/6/2 Ron Johnson <[hidden email]>
On 06/02/2013 03:19 PM, Enno Borgsteede wrote:
> Hello Manu,
>> I'm using Gramps 4.0.0 (french) for one week, i have a problem with
>> GedCom export
> This is a known problem when exporting persons with addresses, and it's
> solved in version 4.0.1, which is not available for download yet. You
> can't do much about this yourself, sorry about that.

Never use version x.0.0, huh? :)

The reason this bug slipped through is probably because most developers don't use address. See:

http://www.gramps-project.org/wiki/index.php?title=Why_residence_event_and_not_Address%3F

On 02-06-13 23:00, Emmanuel Hivernat wrote:
Thanks for all

I've modified the file exportgedcom.py  and it works fine
Good. I didn't mention that, because I didn't know whether you would dare to modify files outside your home directory.

But now that you do, you may choose to go all the way, and run a developer version of Gramps. It may be a bit risky sometimes, but I do it all the time for 3.4.x.

If you're interested, you can start here

http://www.gramps-project.org/wiki/index.php?title=Portal:Developers

or here

http://www.gramps-project.org/wiki/index.php?title=Brief_introduction_to_SVN

to get detailed directions to download and run 4.0.x. That's the code labeled as gramps40 on this page.

Running gramps40 is about as safe as the gramp34 that I use. Just don't use trunk on your working file.

cheers,

Re: Thoughts about a "Person of Interest" feature?

Hi Jesse,
> Is there any reason why associations shouldn't display in
> relationships view?  It seems kind of useful.
I can imagine that the relationship view was designed with families in
mind, and as such is full enough already.
> Perhaps that's the feature I should request.
I think so, yes. Of course, the actual building of that feature will
depend on volunteers, so there is no guarantee that it will be
implemented soon, but I like the idea.

There are other places where I think that associations can or should be
supported too, like in reports, but I'm no expert on that.

cheers,

Re: Thoughts about a "Person of Interest" feature?

Craig Treleaven
At 11:54 AM +0200 6/4/13, Enno Borgsteede wrote:

>Hi Jesse,
>>  Is there any reason why associations shouldn't display in
>>  relationships view?  It seems kind of useful.
>I can imagine that the relationship view was designed with families in
>mind, and as such is full enough already.
>>  Perhaps that's the feature I should request.
>I think so, yes. Of course, the actual building of that feature will
>depend on volunteers, so there is no guarantee that it will be
>implemented soon, but I like the idea.
>
>There are other places where I think that associations can or should be
>supported too, like in reports, but I'm no expert on that.

I don't know that any software program can really model all the
relationships that people have in real life.  Life-long friendships,
associations through business or common interests, neighbours, etc.
Sometimes we're closely connected with non-blood relatives--the
obvious ones being through marriage (parents/brothers/sisters-in-law,
nieces/nephews, etc).  In these days of the internet, one can feel a
connection to persons you've never met face-to-face*!

A handful of times, I've found something that lists the pallbearers
at a funeral.  Some of the connections are obvious and other times
you learn something new about that person or family.

Craig

*Do we want to record every 'Facebook friend' in our genealogy research?!?

On Tue, Jun 4, 2013 at 6:20 AM, Craig Treleaven <[hidden email]> wrote:
I don't know that any software program can really model all the
relationships that people have in real life.  Life-long friendships,
associations through business or common interests, neighbours, etc.
Sometimes we're closely connected with non-blood relatives--the
obvious ones being through marriage (parents/brothers/sisters-in-law,
nieces/nephews, etc).  In these days of the internet, one can feel a
connection to persons you've never met face-to-face*.

In my first email in this thread, I explained that the problem I was having
is finding (suspected) relatives of an unknown relationship to a specific
family or person and wondering how to link them.

For example, I have a specific individual in my tree with the name of
"Mary".  Mary's ancestry is unknown.  Living in the same small isolated
area is a "Samuel" and a "Margret"[sic], both of who share the same last name
as Mary, and are roughly within 10 years of her age.  They could be cousins,
they could be siblings, or it could even be a coincidence.

I create two new individuals - Samuel and Margret, and start adding records
to both of them.  With further research, I can link Samuel and Margret together
as siblings, with the names of their parents.  But this family is not linked at
all to Mary, except as an association.

I'd rather not make a separate tree, since if I prove a link, I'd have to merge
the two trees, as well as rectify the redundant sources, repositories, etc.

So thoughts?

Re: Thoughts about a "Person of Interest" feature?

Ron Johnson
On 06/04/2013 02:01 PM, Jesse Meyer wrote:
On Tue, Jun 4, 2013 at 6:20 AM, Craig Treleaven <[hidden email]> wrote:
[snip]
[...]

Just let her dangle out there...

--
"There are no solutions; there are only tradeoffs."
Thomas Sowell

Re: Thoughts about a "Person of Interest" feature?

Benny Malengier

2013/6/5 Philip Weiss <[hidden email]>

That's what i do. I have a louis solle who lived with my 2nd great grandfather william solle for one census in 1870. They currently only share the census event and no other connection at the moment.

I think the question is, how do you make it clear in the interface that you know those people are possible duplicates?

I don't know. Would 'Possible Duplicate' Event they both share be a solution? Like that you easily retrieve them from the person editor, or have an overview in the event list view.

B.