Three new problems have appeared

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
7 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Three new problems have appeared

DexterB
A few days ago, in another post, I mentioned my first experience of "black
screen of death" events for my Gramps software, triggered by making a change
then selecting "OK". Strangely, the Gramps top selection bar remains visible
and the view returns when I make a selection on this bar!

Now, I have three additional problems I've never seen before.

1 Sometimes when I hover the mouse over a selection, it goes into a
fast-flickering "loop" of the "Click to make this person active" pop-up. I
can't duplicate this problem every time.

2 Every time that I switch to another view (like selecting an "Edit" button
in the window), the window in the new view resizes and hides the "Cancel /
OK" buttons. I then have to resize the window to reveal them. This can be
reproduced every time, but not from the top selection bar.

3 Sometimes, a selection button highlights when pressed, but the action
doesn't take place.

I have a Mac desktop using MacOS 10.13.6 and Gramps 5.0.1.

The only system change in the last week is the disk drive which was
replaced. The disk contents were copied from the old drive onto the new
drive. When I re-started, a re-installation of MacOS was required. It's too
much of a coincidence for this hardware change not to be a factor.

Should the old Gramps configs be refreshed after this sort of change? If so,
how do I do that?
Or, should I reload Gramps, or reload MacOS or reload both?



--
Sent from: http://gramps.1791082.n4.nabble.com/GRAMPS-User-f1807095.html


--
Gramps-users mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/gramps-users
https://gramps-project.org
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Three new problems have appeared

prculley
I suspect that the reinstall of MacOS is the culprit.  I would recommend reinstalling Gramps, that may help; you may want to consider using the more recent Gramps 5.1.1 version.  If the current one works well enough to make a backup, do that first.

Paul C.

P.S. if that doesn't help, let us know, there have been quite a few issues with the Mac version but we have a fairly active developer for the Mac who may have other suggestions.

On Sun, Dec 15, 2019 at 11:06 PM DexterB <[hidden email]> wrote:
A few days ago, in another post, I mentioned my first experience of "black
screen of death" events for my Gramps software, triggered by making a change
then selecting "OK". Strangely, the Gramps top selection bar remains visible
and the view returns when I make a selection on this bar!

Now, I have three additional problems I've never seen before.

1 Sometimes when I hover the mouse over a selection, it goes into a
fast-flickering "loop" of the "Click to make this person active" pop-up. I
can't duplicate this problem every time.

2 Every time that I switch to another view (like selecting an "Edit" button
in the window), the window in the new view resizes and hides the "Cancel /
OK" buttons. I then have to resize the window to reveal them. This can be
reproduced every time, but not from the top selection bar.

3 Sometimes, a selection button highlights when pressed, but the action
doesn't take place.

I have a Mac desktop using MacOS 10.13.6 and Gramps 5.0.1.

The only system change in the last week is the disk drive which was
replaced. The disk contents were copied from the old drive onto the new
drive. When I re-started, a re-installation of MacOS was required. It's too
much of a coincidence for this hardware change not to be a factor.

Should the old Gramps configs be refreshed after this sort of change? If so,
how do I do that?
Or, should I reload Gramps, or reload MacOS or reload both?



--
Sent from: http://gramps.1791082.n4.nabble.com/GRAMPS-User-f1807095.html


--
Gramps-users mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/gramps-users
https://gramps-project.org


--
Gramps-users mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/gramps-users
https://gramps-project.org
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Three new problems have appeared

DexterB
Reloaded Gramps 5.1.1. The window sizing problem persists, but I haven't been
able to reproduce the flickering selection.
Also, although a selection button highlights when hovered over, the
selection can be made with the cursor considerably below it. I'm not sure
how to test whether the cursor is correctly positioned.

I tried running MacOS 10.13.6 in safe mode, then trying Gramps again. I
could not detect a difference.

Would a macOS reinstallation be recommended?



--
Sent from: http://gramps.1791082.n4.nabble.com/GRAMPS-User-f1807095.html


--
Gramps-users mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/gramps-users
https://gramps-project.org
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Three new problems have appeared

GRAMPS - User mailing list
In reply to this post by DexterB
On 16/12/2019 05:12, DexterB wrote:
> 1 Sometimes when I hover the mouse over a selection, it goes into a
> fast-flickering "loop" of the "Click to make this person active" pop-up. I
> can't duplicate this problem every time.

Something like this has occurred before, but I can't remember the cause.

Nick.




--
Gramps-users mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/gramps-users
https://gramps-project.org
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Three new problems have appeared

Bill Gee

I wonder if this is a problem I saw a while back where tooltips would flicker when hovering. The workaround seems rather unlikely, but it was quite easy.

 

Add a line to ~/.config/gtk-3.0/settings.ini

 

gtk-cursor-theme-size = 16

 

And then restart Gramps. The problem affects all GTK applications.

 

A bit of background is at https://gitlab.gnome.org/GNOME/gtk/issues/1371

--

Bill Gee

 

 


On Tuesday, December 17, 2019 4:02:18 AM CST Nick Hall via Gramps-users wrote:

> On 16/12/2019 05:12, DexterB wrote:

> > 1 Sometimes when I hover the mouse over a selection, it goes into a

> > fast-flickering "loop" of the "Click to make this person active" pop-up. I

> > can't duplicate this problem every time.

>

> Something like this has occurred before, but I can't remember the cause.

>

> Nick.

>

>

>

>

>

 

 



--
Gramps-users mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/gramps-users
https://gramps-project.org
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Three new problems have appeared

GRAMPS - User mailing list
In reply to this post by GRAMPS - User mailing list
Is this the thread you were recalling?

[Gramps-users] Rapidly flashing notice



On Tue, Dec 17, 2019 at 4:04, Nick Hall via Gramps-users
On 16/12/2019 05:12, DexterB wrote:
> 1 Sometimes when I hover the mouse over a selection, it goes into a
> fast-flickering "loop" of the "Click to make this person active" pop-up. I
> can't duplicate this problem every time.

Something like this has occurred before, but I can't remember the cause.

Nick.


--
Gramps-users mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/gramps-users
https://gramps-project.org
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Three new problems have appeared

GRAMPS - User mailing list
On 17/12/2019 13:17, Emyoulation--- via Gramps-users wrote:
Is this the thread you were recalling?

[Gramps-users] Rapidly flashing notice

Yes.  Thanks for finding it for me.


Nick.




--
Gramps-users mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/gramps-users
https://gramps-project.org