Tmg2GrampsScript

Andrew Diamond
Jérôme, where is this Tmg2Gramps script you refer to?  I just installed a trial of TMG and have Family Tree Maker 2010 installed.  If I use this script, would it be best to export from FTM 2010 to FTM 2008/2009 format, and then import this file into TMG, and then run this script?  Would this preserve more data?  You guys lost me with all the XML talk!  Don't get me wrong, I know what XML is, just not how I'm supposed to use it!

Re: Tmg2GrampsScript

Benny Malengier

2011/9/15 Andrew Diamond <[hidden email]>
Jérôme, where is this Tmg2Gramps script you refer to?  I just installed a trial of TMG and have Family Tree Maker 2010 installed.  If I use this script, would it be best to export from FTM 2010 to FTM 2008/2009 format, and then import this file into TMG, and then run this script?  Would this preserve more data?  You guys lost me with all the XML talk!  Don't get me wrong, I know what XML is, just not how I'm supposed to use it!

There is a link on this wiki page: http://gramps-project.org/wiki/index.php?title=Import_from_another_program#Ancestrologie

See that there is also a script given to fix FTM gedcom output. Try that also.
Keep backup copies of everything before you run any script/import on the data in case they contain bugs.

Re: Tmg2GrampsScript

Andrew,

> If I use this script, would it be best to export from FTM 2010 to FTM 2008/2009
> format, and then import this file into TMG, and then run this script?

I do not know !
But, if possible (trial version), try to export to TMG file format !

http://gramps-project.org/wiki/index.php?title=Import_from_another_program#The_Master_Genealogist_.28TMG.29

>  Would this preserve more data?

I think so ! Else, this could be a bad promotion for its product :
GenBridge (tm)...

Well, I guess the primary user who has migrated from tmg to gramps is
Dianne?

There is a README file for instructions:
http://www.cohsoft.com.au/tmg2gramps/README.tmg2gramps

The script works for Gramps 2.2.6 !
The generated Gramps XML file should still be properly imported and
upgraded into last releases. Else we can try to use Gramps 3.x as
migration step...

Requirements seem to be :
* MySQL server available on localhost
* Perl
* xBase DBI

Note, the script seems to be broken !
http://www.cohsoft.com.au/tmg2gramps/tmg2gramps.tar.gz

Does someone have a copy ?

Regards,
Jérôme

Andrew Diamond a écrit :

> Jérôme, where is this Tmg2Gramps script you refer to?  I just installed
> a trial of TMG and have Family Tree Maker 2010 installed.  If I use this
> script, would it be best to export from FTM 2010 to FTM 2008/2009
> format, and then import this file into TMG, and then run this script?
>  Would this preserve more data?  You guys lost me with all the XML talk!
>  Don't get me wrong, I know what XML is, just not how I'm supposed to
> use it!

> Doing More with Less: The Next Generation Virtual Desktop
> What are the key obstacles that have prevented many mid-market businesses
> from deploying virtual desktops?   How do next-generation virtual desktops
> provide companies an easier-to-deploy, easier-to-manage and more affordable
> virtual desktop model.http://www.accelacomm.com/jaw/sfnl/114/51426474/

Re: Tmg2GrampsScript

http://gramps-project.org/wiki/index.php?title=Import_from_another_program#Programs_for_fixing_some_of_the_known_problems_2

Benny Malengier a écrit :

> 2011/9/15 Andrew Diamond <[hidden email]
> <mailto:[hidden email]>>
>
>     Jérôme, where is this Tmg2Gramps script you refer to?  I just
>     installed a trial of TMG and have Family Tree Maker 2010 installed.
>      If I use this script, would it be best to export from FTM 2010 to
>     FTM 2008/2009 format, and then import this file into TMG, and then
>     run this script?  Would this preserve more data?  You guys lost me
>     with all the XML talk!  Don't get me wrong, I know what XML is, just
>     not how I'm supposed to use it!
>

> There is a link on this wiki page:
> http://gramps-project.org/wiki/index.php?title=Import_from_another_program#Ancestrologie
>

> See that there is also a script given to fix FTM gedcom output. Try that
> also.
> Keep backup copies of everything before you run any script/import on the
> data in case they contain bugs.
>
> Benny

>     Doing More with Less: The Next Generation Virtual Desktop
>     What are the key obstacles that have prevented many mid-market
>     businesses
>     from deploying virtual desktops?   How do next-generation virtual
>     desktops
>     provide companies an easier-to-deploy, easier-to-manage and more
>     affordable
>     virtual desktop model.http://www.accelacomm.com/jaw/sfnl/114/51426474/

> Doing More with Less: The Next Generation Virtual Desktop
> What are the key obstacles that have prevented many mid-market businesses
> from deploying virtual desktops?   How do next-generation virtual desktops
> provide companies an easier-to-deploy, easier-to-manage and more affordable
> virtual desktop model.http://www.accelacomm.com/jaw/sfnl/114/51426474/

Re: Tmg2GrampsScript

jerome
Hello,

Note, we also tried to support (and fix some problems) on gedcoms
generated by FTM. http://www.gramps-project.org/bugs/view.php?id=4455

We commited a change on trunk for the last FTM gedcom's header
(FTW is now FTM)...
http://www.gramps-project.org/bugs/view.php?id=4843

If we need this on Gramps 3.3.x, maybe this could be added after testing?

As pointed out by Benny, under plugins->lib->libgedcom.py:
"If FTW is like FTM, please change the line"

def __header_sour(self, line, state):
         if line.data.strip() == "FTW":
             self.is_ftw = True
into
         if line.data.strip() in ["FTW", "FTM"]:
             self.is_ftw = True

Why not commited into Gramps 3.3.x ?
Because we do not have some samples of gedcoms generated by last FTM
versions... Maybe we do not need this extra code anymore because 'FTW'
was no more existing, so no change on parsing ? To use the last hearder
might generate new issues ???

Jérôme