To Brian's priorities

PeterPower
Hi,

Gramps userbase has increased in Finland. We have collected some joint
wishes to list:

- possibility to install Gramps easily between official versions. For
many of us it is too complicated to go long route starting translation
from sources. By more easily way Gramps would get more testers for new
functions and translations.

- more simple process to build language package from gramps.pot would
help to keep translations uptodate and covering. Positive outcome is,
attracts more non-english users.

- reports of non-family-line relations would be nice. E.g. relations of
godparents of family children to each other and to family tree.
Relatives, neighbours, professional colleague etc.

BR

Pekka Valta

Re: To Brian's priorities

Nick Hall
On 17/04/18 13:57, [hidden email] wrote:
> Gramps userbase has increased in Finland. We have collected some joint
> wishes to list:
>
> - possibility to install Gramps easily between official versions. For
> many of us it is too complicated to go long route starting translation
> from sources. By more easily way Gramps would get more testers for new
> functions and translations.

I would generally recommend that you use the following instructions to
run a development version of Gramps:

https://gramps-project.org/wiki/index.php?title=Running_a_development_version_of_Gramps

However, you could install from a source distribution using distutils.
 From a command line type:

 > python setup.py install

> - more simple process to build language package from gramps.pot would
> help to keep translations uptodate and covering. Positive outcome is,
> attracts more non-english users.

See the instructions here:

https://gramps-project.org/wiki/index.php?title=Translating_Gramps

You could compile the Finnish translation with:

 > msgfmt fi.po -o fi.mo

> - reports of non-family-line relations would be nice. E.g. relations
> of godparents of family children to each other and to family tree.
> Relatives, neighbours, professional colleague etc.

I suggest that you open a separate feature request for each report.
Hopefully someone will volunteer to write them as third-party addons.