Quantcast

Too many media files are getting cumbersome.

Too many media files are getting cumbersome.

Martnal
I am approaching 1,000 media files in the specified folder.  I am considering splitting them into multiple folders.  I'd be grateful for any suggestions, warnings and how-tos, beyond "Do a backup first".

I am sure that I don't understand all the implications of what I want to do, but the current arrangement is just too cumbersome.

Thanks, Martin

I am considering the following next-level folders.

BMD B
BMD M
BMD D
Census 1841
Census 1851
Census 1861
Census 1871
Census 1881
Census 1891
Census 1901
Census 1911
Doc Occ
Doc Res
House
Map
Misc ??
News
Person
Photo/Place
Tree

Martin, SW London

I am using GRAMPS 4.2.3-1 on Windows 10.

I am researching surnames Loughborough, (London and Hartlepool), Watson, (Jarrow and Hartlepool), Ballard and Glassop (E. London), Mowbray, Pounder and Bulmer, (all Hartlepool), Leggett (Middlesborough and Prescot).

Re: Too many media files are getting cumbersome.

Philip Weiss
Get the Media Verify plugin.  That will allow you to move your files around and not have to go edit their location in Gramps.  The plugin can find them and update the file locations for you.

As for good directory structure, I've gone over my structure at length a couple of months ago. It easily handles thousands of files.  The one thing I would recommend if you don't want to use my methods is to consider how well what you decide will work when you get 5000 or 10000 or more files.  In other words, don't just plan for this file re-organization.  Plan for the next one.  For instance, I got a box of 3000 photos or so when my great aunt died.  One directory for all 3000 photos, with no subdirectories, is going to have the same issues you have right now.

Phil.

-----

Martin, SW London

I am using GRAMPS 4.2.3-1 on Windows 10.

I am researching surnames Loughborough, (London and Hartlepool), Watson, (Jarrow and Hartlepool), Ballard and Glassop (E. London), Mowbray, Pounder and Bulmer, (all Hartlepool), Leggett (Middlesborough and Prescot).

I am researching surnames Loughborough, (London and Hartlepool), Watson, (Jarrow and Hartlepool), Ballard and Glassop (E. London), Mowbray, Pounder and Bulmer, (all Hartlepool), Leggett (Middlesborough and Prescot).

Re: Too many media files are getting cumbersome.

Dave Scheipers
Hi Martin,

I have subfolders for my media and when one type files seems to overwhelm their folder, I too think about a split.

Right now mine are:

Births
Books *
Burial
Census-Canada }
Census-State     } recently split from one directory
Census-UK        }
Census-US        }
Church
Deaths
Government -- Passports Apps, Naturalizations etc
Marriages
Military
Other
Photos -- People
Photos-Misc  -- odd ball other non-document photos
Travel -- ship manifests, etc

Books has more subdirectories where I store mostly PDF files of books or pages from books

Note: after you make all of your changes, gramps will create new thumbnail records even if they previously existed without deleting the old thumbnails. Once every thing is pretty much how you want them and have updated their paths in the media records, you may want to delete the files in the thumbnail directory and rerunning the Thumbnail generator tool. This can take a while (I do mine over night) so plan appropriately.

Dave

On Fri, May 5, 2017 at 12:18 PM, Martnal <[hidden email]> wrote:
Philip, thank you.  I have the Media Verify plugin, and have used it a little
but, but I am a bit apprehensive.  I can't see my volume increasing VERY
much, but I can't really decide on whether I want as many new folders as I
originally suggested, or whether I should nest them a bit more, say a
MEDIA\CENSUS\ folder and then each decade under that.  And a MEDIA\BMD\
folder and the supporting B, M and D files under that.

Martin

-----

Martin, SW London

I am using GRAMPS 4.2.3-1 on Windows 10.

I am researching surnames Loughborough, (London and Hartlepool), Watson, (Jarrow and Hartlepool), Ballard and Glassop (E. London), Mowbray, Pounder and Bulmer, (all Hartlepool), Leggett (Middlesborough and Prescot).

Re: Too many media files are getting cumbersome.

Rich Lakey
I have about 2,000 files.  I had your problem some time ago and came up with 18 sub-folders.
Audio
Biography
Birth Certificate
Cemeteries
Census
Death Records
Directories
Grave Markers
Histories
Maps
Marriage Documents
Military records
Newspaper Clipping
Obituary
Photos
Ships List
Wills

It is a time consuming problem moving from the main directory to the sub-directories, so Philip, thank you for your suggestion of using the Media Verify tool. I will have to try it. So far I have only been moving files as I access them for other purposes or add new ones. I still have 980 to go. I have most family pictures in a more structured file system. For Gramps I only copy important ones to the Gallery. I have 155 census records that all start with the year, so they are grouped together under one sub-directory. If fact my naming convention for most of the sub-directories start with the year so they sort in the sub-directory..

Rich

On 05/05/2017 11:00 AM, Martnal wrote:
[...]

Have you backed up your files today?

Re: Too many media files are getting cumbersome.

Martnal
Hello, Dave.  I'm trying to build a step by step plan.

Firstly I will create the new sub folders of \Media.

Then do I manually move the files to their new location using a file manager (Explorer)?

Then do I use Media Manager to "replace substrings in the path"?  (I'm unclear there...)

Martin

Martin, SW London

I am using GRAMPS 4.2.3-1 on Windows 10.

I am researching surnames Loughborough, (London and Hartlepool), Watson, (Jarrow and Hartlepool), Ballard and Glassop (E. London), Mowbray, Pounder and Bulmer, (all Hartlepool), Leggett (Middlesborough and Prescot).

Re: Too many media files are getting cumbersome.

Philip Weiss
1. Get Media Verify addon
2. Run "Generate" in Media Verify to recognize where all the files are and fingerprint them.
3. Move files around around using file manager to where you like them, as long as all files remain under the root media directory.
4. Run "Verify" in Media Verify and it will find where the files have moved to, giving you a list
5. Run "Fix" in Media Verify to fix the file paths within Gramps.

Phil.

On Fri, May 5, 2017 at 9:59 AM, Martnal <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hello, Dave.  I'm trying to build a step by step plan.

Firstly I will create the new sub folders of \Media.

Then do I manually move the files to their new location using a file manager
(Explorer)?

Then do I use Media Manager to "replace substrings in the path"?  (I'm
unclear there...)

Martin

-----

Martin, SW London

I am using GRAMPS 4.2.3-1 on Windows 10.

I am researching surnames Loughborough, (London and Hartlepool), Watson, (Jarrow and Hartlepool), Ballard and Glassop (E. London), Mowbray, Pounder and Bulmer, (all Hartlepool), Leggett (Middlesborough and Prescot).

Re: Too many media files are getting cumbersome.

Peter (chamdo4ever)
Hi Martin,

I'm pretty sure that Phil will agree with me on this as I think he and
I have both talked about it on here at some length in the past; Tony
Proctor's method of organizing files by source has proven to me to be
phenomenally helpful:

http://parallax-viewpoint.blogspot.com/2015/01/hierarchical-sources.html

To each their own, but that's how I do it.

Hope that helps,

Peter

On Fri, May 5, 2017 at 12:18 PM, Martnal <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Philip, thank you.  I have the Media Verify plugin, and have used it a little
> but, but I am a bit apprehensive.  I can't see my volume increasing VERY
> much, but I can't really decide on whether I want as many new folders as I
> originally suggested, or whether I should nest them a bit more, say a
> MEDIA\CENSUS\ folder and then each decade under that.  And a MEDIA\BMD\
> folder and the supporting B, M and D files under that.
>
> Martin
>

> -----
>

> Martin, SW London
>
> I am using GRAMPS 4.2.3-1 on Windows 10.
>
> I am researching surnames Loughborough, (London and Hartlepool), Watson, (Jarrow and Hartlepool), Ballard and Glassop (E. London), Mowbray, Pounder and Bulmer, (all Hartlepool), Leggett (Middlesborough and Prescot).

Re: Too many media files are getting cumbersome.

Brad Rogers
On Fri, 5 May 2017 09:00:35 -0700 (PDT)
Martnal <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hello Martnal,

>I am considering the following next-level folders.

I have top level as;

Under each of those I divide into decades (for example);

Under those, I might have;
1890USACensus
1891ScotlandCensus
1891UKCensus

BMD certs get filed in the relevant directory (example);
Birth_year_mo_day_Surname_Forename(s).{png|jpg|bmp|gif}

I have a directory for People, under which are directories for
Individuals and Groups (even if I can determine when it was taken).
These are further subdivided by letters of the Alphabet.

Same sort of thing applies to the Buildings directory;
Churches
Schools
Hospitals   (this includes workhouses, since many became hospitals)
then houses (or other private/commercial properties) are sorted under the
relevant Country (mostly UK for me), although I have very few, due to
the uncertainty factor here where streets get their buildings renumbered
(seemingly) ad nauseam.

I have a directory for Military subdivided by service, and under each
service I have directories for any series (I know these could go into
the decade directories, but I find it easier to keep military records
separate since some of the series would repeat over several decades);

Army
  WO393
  WO394
Navy
  ADM139
AirForce
 (So far, no RAF in my tree)

Each of the series directories is subdivided by Alphabet.

I have a directory for ships (Vessels) at top level.

I also have a directory Flags at top level containing UK City, UK County
& US State subdirectories.  So far, other countries are in the top
directory, since there aren't too many, and few seem to have relevant
(to me) sub-national flags anyway.

--
 Regards  _
Going round on the Circle Line trying to find a way out

Re: Too many media files are getting cumbersome.

Dave Scheipers
Other than my Books directory, I stay away from subdirectories.

I come back from my research and transfer what I found to either the media folder or the books folder. There I make any cropping needed, etc and make sure I have used the same naming convention as the other files already on file. Then it's a matter of dropping the file into the folder then adding the record to gramps. To have to constantly move between layers... too much for me.

In the Books folder, all other sub folders are just at one layer so the same process takes place as above.

Not criticizing how anyone else has set themselves up. Just putting what I have found useful out there for others to ponder.

Dave

On Fri, May 5, 2017 at 1:40 PM, Brad Rogers <[hidden email]> wrote:
On Fri, 5 May 2017 09:00:35 -0700 (PDT)
Martnal <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hello Martnal,

>I am considering the following next-level folders.

I have top level as;

Under each of those I divide into decades (for example);

Under those, I might have;
1890USACensus
1891ScotlandCensus
1891UKCensus

BMD certs get filed in the relevant directory (example);
Birth_year_mo_day_Surname_Forename(s).{png|jpg|bmp|gif}

I have a directory for People, under which are directories for
Individuals and Groups (even if I can determine when it was taken).
These are further subdivided by letters of the Alphabet.

Same sort of thing applies to the Buildings directory;
Churches
Schools
Hospitals   (this includes workhouses, since many became hospitals)
then houses (or other private/commercial properties) are sorted under the
relevant Country (mostly UK for me), although I have very few, due to
the uncertainty factor here where streets get their buildings renumbered
(seemingly) ad nauseam.

I have a directory for Military subdivided by service, and under each
service I have directories for any series (I know these could go into
the decade directories, but I find it easier to keep military records
separate since some of the series would repeat over several decades);

Army
  WO393
  WO394
Navy
  ADM139
AirForce
 (So far, no RAF in my tree)

Each of the series directories is subdivided by Alphabet.

I have a directory for ships (Vessels) at top level.

I also have a directory Flags at top level containing UK City, UK County
& US State subdirectories.  So far, other countries are in the top
directory, since there aren't too many, and few seem to have relevant
(to me) sub-national flags anyway.

--
 Regards  _
         / )           "The blindingly obvious is
        / _)rad        never immediately apparent"
Going round on the Circle Line trying to find a way out
Titanic (My Over) Reaction - 999

Re: Too many media files are getting cumbersome.

Brad Rogers
On Fri, 5 May 2017 15:51:43 -0400
Dave Scheipers <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hello Dave,

>the record to gramps. To have to constantly move between layers... too
>much for me.

Once the file is recorded in Gramps, you're done.  Admittedly, adding
files can get a bit tedious, but usually when adding stuff I find I want
to add a few at a time to the same directory.

>Not criticizing how anyone else has set themselves up. Just putting
>what I have found useful out there for others to ponder.

It's good to have options.  We *like* options.   :-)

Ultimately, it's a case of "each to their own".

--
 Regards  _
No you can't hop into my shower

Re: Too many media files are getting cumbersome.

meikamona
Martin,

consider my travails, perhaps too much for most but it will help those who come after you, and by this type of thinking you recognise those who worked before you,

https://formeika.wordpress.com/2017/03/11/metasource_date_datapoints/

examples at

cheers meika

Re: Too many media files are getting cumbersome.

Hi Brad,

True, we each set up a system that works for us. Maybe if I had started with a multiple layered directory I'd feel differently.  In an earlier post I mentioned I recently split all my census records. The way it is now was not my first attempt. I first went from Census to subdirectories under census. Having subdirectories disrupted my previous 'flow' of action,

Dave

On Fri, May 5, 2017 at 6:56 PM, Brad Rogers <[hidden email]> wrote:
On Fri, 5 May 2017 15:51:43 -0400
Dave Scheipers <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hello Dave,

>the record to gramps. To have to constantly move between layers... too
>much for me.

Once the file is recorded in Gramps, you're done.  Admittedly, adding
files can get a bit tedious, but usually when adding stuff I find I want
to add a few at a time to the same directory.

>Not criticizing how anyone else has set themselves up. Just putting
>what I have found useful out there for others to ponder.

It's good to have options.  We *like* options.   :-)

Ultimately, it's a case of "each to their own".

--
 Regards  _
         / )           "The blindingly obvious is
        / _)rad        never immediately apparent"
No you can't hop into my shower
Leave Me Alone (I'm Lonely) - P!nk

I am researching surnames Loughborough, (London and Hartlepool), Watson, (Jarrow and Hartlepool), Ballard and Glassop (E. London), Mowbray, Pounder and Bulmer, (all Hartlepool), Leggett (Middlesborough and Prescot).

Re: Too many media files are getting cumbersome.

Peter Merchant
On 07/05/17 17:35, Martnal wrote:

>   Thank you for all your replies. I've been away for a couple of days but be
> assured that I am working through them .  Probably more questions to follow.
>
> Martin
>

> -----
>

> Martin, SW London
>
> I am using GRAMPS 4.2.3-1 on Windows 10.
>
> I am researching surnames Loughborough, (London and Hartlepool), Watson, (Jarrow and Hartlepool), Ballard and Glassop (E. London), Mowbray, Pounder and Bulmer, (all Hartlepool), Leggett (Middlesborough and Prescot).
> --
Hi Martin, I notice that you are researching a number of surnames, so
just to throw my two-bits worth in, in my folder for ancestry, I have
sub-folders for each surname  that I am researching. This does give the
need for duplicate  data sometimes, such as the marriage certificate for
two people from different families, but I like it this way for ease of
finding information about any particular individual.

Regards,
Peter M.

Re: Too many media files are getting cumbersome.

Martnal
This post was updated on .
Thank you for all the help so far.  I have read these thoroughly, and practiced what I want to do on a small test database.  I have created my new folder structure.

The one thing I'm not clear in is this.  After moving the files with a file manager to their new location, and running Media Verify, how do I get rid of the old path mappings to the files in their original position?

Is that what I use Media Manager for?  I'm unclear.

I would hate to have to do it manually.  Thanks.  I won't forget the extra safety backup!