Transferring data from imported gedcom to main database

Transferring data from imported gedcom to main database

diannereuby
Hi all,

I'm running Gramps 3.3.1-1 on Ubuntu 12.04LTS.

I have part of my tree online at WikiTree, and a recently discovered
relative-in-law has added some people, and added data to people I've
already included. I can download this as a gedcom, and I know I can
import it into an empty database, but can I then copy or move those
individuals to my main database without having to retype all the data
manually?

Thanks,

Dianne

Re: Transferring data from imported gedcom to main database

Ron Johnson
After loading the GEDCOM into a fresh database, I'd create a filter with the
new people and export it to then be loaded into your tree.  Don't know what
I'd do about the modified people.

(Have you tried upgrading to v3.4.8?)

--
My word, man!  Don't you know your quantum statistics?

Re: Transferring data from imported gedcom to main database

J. Allen Crider-2
If you are able to generate a file that contains only new people and
modified people, you can import that into your tree and then merge the
modified people with the original people in your tree.  If there are not
a lot of modified people, the merge shouldn't be too difficult and would
be easier than making all of the modifications manually.

On 07/21/2014 04:32 AM, Ron Johnson wrote:

> After loading the GEDCOM into a fresh database, I'd create a filter with the
> new people and export it to then be loaded into your tree.  Don't know what
> I'd do about the modified people.
>
> (Have you tried upgrading to v3.4.8?)
>
> On 07/21/2014 02:10 AM, Dianne wrote:
>> Hi all,
>>
>> I'm running Gramps 3.3.1-1 on Ubuntu 12.04LTS.
>>
>> I have part of my tree online at WikiTree, and a recently discovered
>> relative-in-law has added some people, and added data to people I've
>> already included. I can download this as a gedcom, and I know I can
>> import it into an empty database, but can I then copy or move those
>> individuals to my main database without having to retype all the data
>> manually?
>>
>> Thanks,
>>
>> Dianne

Re: Transferring data from imported gedcom to main database

Hi Dianne,
> I have part of my tree online at WikiTree, and a recently discovered
> relative-in-law has added some people, and added data to people I've
> already included. I can download this as a gedcom, and I know I can
> import it into an empty database, but can I then copy or move those
> individuals to my main database without having to retype all the data
> manually?
I second Ron's advice, also about upgrading to Gramps 3.4.8. You can
download that here:

http://sourceforge.net/projects/gramps/files/Stable/3.4.8/gramps_3.4.8_all.deb/download

As a former wikitree member, I know that their GEDCOMs have some
peculiarities, which make it a good idea indeed to import those into a
new database. That is because wikitree export names into fields that are
not understood by Gramps. Because of that, you may loose birth and
middle names. If you see that happen, you will probably find those in
GEDCOM import notes that are attached to the imported persons. You may
wish to move baptism and burial information from the biography, which is
imported into Gramps as a note, to the appropriate events in Gramps.
Same for sources. Putting all that in the biography was easy for
wikitree, but it can be quite a nuisance for you. And by importing the
wikitree GEDCOM into an empty database, you can keep the mess out of
your main database.

There's a couple of other things to consider in this cleaning process
too. One is that in Gramps it is not always easy to pick individuals for
export to the main database. You might need to add tags to them, and
only export persons with those tags, but maybe it's easier to remove
most persons that have no changes from your wikitree database, and then
export all that are left to your main database. I use the word most
here, because if there are new persons in the wikitree GEDCOM, it is
easier to keep the existing person that they are connected too, even if
that person has no new data at all. So, if that GEDCOM has new
ancestors, do not remove the existing ancestor that they're connected
to. If you leave that ancestor in the imported database, you can merge
him or her with the existing ancestor in your main database, which is
easier than connecting two parents. Same for new cousins on wikitree. If
you import those with their parent(s), and then merge with their
duplicate(s) in the main database, you get the connections right away.

Once that the cleaning is done, you can best use the Gramps XML format
for export, and then import the resulting data.gramps file into your
main database.

regards,

Re: Transferring data from imported gedcom to main database

diannereuby
Thanks for all that advice.

I haven't upgraded gramps yet - I have been waiting for the Ubuntu
12.04LTS to 14.04LTS update to be released, which was due this month,
though it hasn't appeared yet.

But is it worth going ahead with the gramps update before I update Ubuntu?

TIA
Dianne

Re: Transferring data from imported gedcom to main database

enno
Dianne,
> I haven't upgraded gramps yet - I have been waiting for the Ubuntu
> 12.04LTS to 14.04LTS update to be released, which was due this month,
> though it hasn't appeared yet.
Ubuntu 14.04 was released in April 2014. There is no direct update from
12.04 to 14.04 however, which probably explains why you didn't any
notification about that. You can download the new version here:

http://www.ubuntu.com/download/desktop/
> But is it worth going ahead with the gramps update before I update Ubuntu?
Not this time. In general I recommend downloading new Gramps versions
when we release those, but in this case, I think that upgrading Ubuntu
is more important now. Once you have that, you can download the new
Gramps version released with Ubuntu 14.04, or get our own 4.0.4.

regards,