Transferring filters

Douglas Bainbridge
Keeping gramps family trees synchronised between two
computers is mostly OK; but on exporting a gpkg one loses
all the custom filters defined on the PC.
Where are the filters kept? Can one just copy the folder
over to the other machine? Are there any problems in
transferring filters defined in 3.4.8 to 4.1.x?

Doug

Re: Transferring filters

Brad Rogers
On Thu, 28 Aug 2014 14:57:23 +0100
Douglas Bainbridge <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hello Douglas,

>Where are the filters kept? Can one just copy the folder

On a Linux machine, they're in ~/.gramps/grampsXX/custom_filters.xml,
where XX is the version of Gramps (for me it's gramps40).  IDK where
Windows/Mac machines keep their profiles.

>over to the other machine? Are there any problems in
>transferring filters defined in 3.4.8 to 4.1.x?

Looking at several filter files, it /seems/ (to me, at least) that
they're interchangeable.  I accept no responsibility if just copying the
file from one place to another causes all your hair to fall out.  OTOH,
if everything works as you'd hope it to, you owe me a beer.   :-)

--
 Regards  _
To the ends of the earth, you look for sense in it

Re: Transferring filters

Douglas Bainbridge
On 28/08/14 15:42, Brad Rogers wrote:

> On Thu, 28 Aug 2014 14:57:23 +0100
> Douglas Bainbridge <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hello Douglas,
>
>> Where are the filters kept? Can one just copy the folder
> On a Linux machine, they're in ~/.gramps/grampsXX/custom_filters.xml,
> where XX is the version of Gramps (for me it's gramps40).  IDK where
> Windows/Mac machines keep their profiles.
>
>> over to the other machine? Are there any problems in
>> transferring filters defined in 3.4.8 to 4.1.x?
> Looking at several filter files, it /seems/ (to me, at least) that
> they're interchangeable.  I accept no responsibility if just copying the
> file from one place to another causes all your hair to fall out.  OTOH,
> if everything works as you'd hope it to, you owe me a beer.   :-)

Brad, many thanks. I'll let you know presently if you've
earned your beer;-)

Doug

Re: Transferring filters

Brad Rogers
On Fri, 29 Aug 2014 13:27:23 +0100
Douglas Bainbridge <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hello Douglas,

>Brad, many thanks. I'll let you know presently if you've

YW, Doug.

>earned your beer;-)

I look forward to finding out.  Thanks.   ;-D

--
 Regards  _
I must be hallucinating, watching angels celebrating

Re: Transferring filters

Douglas Bainbridge
On 29/08/14 13:48, Brad Rogers wrote:

> On Fri, 29 Aug 2014 13:27:23 +0100
> Douglas Bainbridge <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hello Douglas,
>
>> Brad, many thanks. I'll let you know presently if you've
> YW, Doug.
>
>> earned your beer;-)
> I look forward to finding out.  Thanks.   ;-D

Brad, a small beer :-)

It mostly works: I've tried copying custom filters 3.3=>3.4,
4.0=>3.4, 4.1=>3.4 and running 3.4.8 - they're fine.
4.0=>4.1 and running 4.1.1 likewise. But my 3.4.8 filters
crash 4.1.1gramps on startup with an uninformative error
message.
It looks as though it's usually OK but incompatible
filter(s) can occur. How you track down which ones I've no
idea (other than by elimination).
Cheers,

Doug

Re: Transferring filters

Brad Rogers
On Sat, 30 Aug 2014 13:42:11 +0100
Douglas Bainbridge <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hello Douglas,

>Brad, a small beer :-)

Ah, okay.  Sounds as though things worked, but with an issue or two.

>It looks as though it's usually OK but incompatible

Now I'm glad I used the word "seems" in my original reply to you.  If
only because I didn't test rigorously.  Plus, I'm only up to v4.0.4 here
(Debian testing).

>filter(s) can occur. How you track down which ones I've no
>idea (other than by elimination).

I was going to suggest just that.  If you've only a handful of filters,
it's not too onerous, but with several dozen it's could be a right
PITA.  However, if you cut (NOTE: keeps a backup of the original) one
half of the rules, then fire up 4.1 and see what happens.  If
everything's fine, you know the problem exists in the other half of your
rules.  Cut half of them, then fire up Gramps with just this new set of
rules.  Again, if everything's fine, you know the fault lies in the
remaining untested quarter of your original set.  If at any point Gramps
crashes with a subset of your rules, you know that the problem lies in
that set, and you should cut half of those the retry.  Using this "rule
of halfs" you can cut through things quite quickly compared with the
"one at a time" method.

I hope the above description makes sense to you.

Once you've found the rule that fails, you can rewrite it in Gramps 4.1
and see what is different between that and your existing 3.8 rule.

--
 Regards  _
A friend of a friend he got beaten

Re: Transferring filters

Douglas Bainbridge
Hi Brad,

On 30/08/14 14:14, Brad Rogers wrote:

> On Sat, 30 Aug 2014 13:42:11 +0100
> Douglas Bainbridge <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hello Douglas,
>
>> Brad, a small beer :-)
> Ah, okay.  Sounds as though things worked, but with an issue or two.
>
>> It looks as though it's usually OK but incompatible
> Now I'm glad I used the word "seems" in my original reply to you.  If
> only because I didn't test rigorously.  Plus, I'm only up to v4.0.4 here
> (Debian testing).
>
>> filter(s) can occur. How you track down which ones I've no
>> idea (other than by elimination).
> I was going to suggest just that.  If you've only a handful of filters,
> it's not too onerous, but with several dozen it's could be a right
> PITA.  However, if you cut (NOTE: keeps a backup of the original) one
> half of the rules, then fire up 4.1 and see what happens.  If
> everything's fine, you know the problem exists in the other half of your
> rules.  Cut half of them, then fire up Gramps with just this new set of
> rules.  Again, if everything's fine, you know the fault lies in the
> remaining untested quarter of your original set.  If at any point Gramps
> crashes with a subset of your rules, you know that the problem lies in
> that set, and you should cut half of those the retry.  Using this "rule
> of halfs" you can cut through things quite quickly compared with the
> "one at a time" method.
I had that in mind: alas I've accumulated several dozen
filters; so it will be a real PITA to use Gramps for the
binary cuts :-(

I think I'll try to understand custom_filters; if so, I'll
run successive edits of the XML file and see where that gets
me.

Doug

Re: Transferring filters

Brad Rogers
On Sun, 31 Aug 2014 12:12:13 +0100
Douglas Bainbridge <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hello Douglas,

>I think I'll try to understand custom_filters; if so, I'll
>run successive edits of the XML file and see where that gets
>me.

That's what I meant;  Direct editing of the XML in a stop-start cycle of
Gramps.  Sorry I didn't make that clear.  It's easy enough to figure out
where each filter starts & ends.

--
 Regards  _
Bet you think you're king but you're really a pawn

Re: Transferring filters

On 31/08/14 12:12, Douglas Bainbridge wrote:
> I think I'll try to understand custom_filters; if so, I'll
> run successive edits of the XML file and see where that gets
> me.

The filter parser will attempt to upgrade filters written in older
versions of Gramps.

The following rules can be upgraded:

Person rules - HasNameOf, HasEvent, HasTextMatchingSubstringOf

Family rules - FatherHasNameOf, MotherHasNameOf, ChildHasNameOf

Place rule - HasPlace

Have a look at the __upgrade method in the filter parser
(gramps/gen/filters/_filterparser.py) for details.

Re: Transferring filters

Douglas Bainbridge
On 31/08/14 12:51, Nick Hall wrote:

> On 31/08/14 12:12, Douglas Bainbridge wrote:
>> I think I'll try to understand custom_filters; if so, I'll
>> run successive edits of the XML file and see where that gets
>> me.
> The filter parser will attempt to upgrade filters written in older
> versions of Gramps.
>
> The following rules can be upgraded:
>
> Person rules - HasNameOf, HasEvent, HasTextMatchingSubstringOf
>
> Family rules - FatherHasNameOf, MotherHasNameOf, ChildHasNameOf
>
> Place rule - HasPlace
>
> Have a look at the __upgrade method in the filter parser
> (gramps/gen/filters/_filterparser.py) for details.
>

> Nick.
Thanks, Nick, I see what to look for.

However, how is the filter parser in 4.1 supposed to work?
I assumed that when you create a new family tree and import
a 3.4.8 .gramps it should attempt to update the 3.4
custom_filters to 4.1.
But the custom filters I see after import are just those
belonging to a pre-existing 4.1 tree - nothing has been
carried over.

On the other hand I don't see how one could apply the parser
to 3.4.8 custom_filters.xml (particularly when this crashes
gramps on startup)

Doug

Re: Transferring filters

Brad Rogers
On Mon, 01 Sep 2014 12:37:44 +0100
Douglas Bainbridge <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hello Douglas,

>But the custom filters I see after import are just those
>belonging to a pre-existing 4.1 tree - nothing has been
>carried over.

Purely a guess on my part; The importer checks for the existence of a
filter XML file and if one already exists, does not copy/update a
version from a previous install for fear of overwriting rules.

I'm no programmer, but I'd place a small wager that coding to check for
duplicates and selectively importing filters isn't entirely trivial.

--
 Regards  _
Kill joy, bad guy, big talking, small fry

Re: Transferring filters

On 01/09/14 12:37, Douglas Bainbridge wrote:
> However, how is the filter parser in 4.1 supposed to work?
> I assumed that when you create a new family tree and import a 3.4.8
> .gramps it should attempt to update the 3.4 custom_filters to 4.1.
> But the custom filters I see after import are just those belonging to
> a pre-existing 4.1 tree - nothing has been carried over.
>
> On the other hand I don't see how one could apply the parser to 3.4.8
> custom_filters.xml (particularly when this crashes gramps on startup)

The filters are not saved with the database.  There is a
custom_filters.xml file for each version.  You can find the v3.4 file in
the ~/.gramps/gramps34 directory.

It doesn't look like any changes have been made to the rules since v3.4.7.

What error do you get at startup?

Re: Transferring filters

Douglas Bainbridge
On 01/09/14 14:24, Nick Hall wrote:

> On 01/09/14 12:37, Douglas Bainbridge wrote:
>> However, how is the filter parser in 4.1 supposed to work?
>> I assumed that when you create a new family tree and
>> import a 3.4.8 .gramps it should attempt to update the
>> 3.4 custom_filters to 4.1.
>> But the custom filters I see after import are just those
>> belonging to a pre-existing 4.1 tree - nothing has been
>> carried over.
>>
>> On the other hand I don't see how one could apply the
>> parser to 3.4.8 custom_filters.xml (particularly when
>> this crashes gramps on startup)
>
> The filters are not saved with the database.  There is a
> custom_filters.xml file for each version.  You can find
> the v3.4 file in the ~/.gramps/gramps34 directory.
>
> It doesn't look like any changes have been made to the
> rules since v3.4.7.
>
> What error do you get at startup?
>
> Nick
Yes, I've been taking the custom_filters.xml files from
various .gramps/grampsxx directories to try them out with
3.4.8 (on one machine) or 4.1.1 (on another).

The error message I got when trying a 3.4.8
custom_filters.xml in 4.4.1 gramps was:

Error Details:
===================

2847: ERROR: grampsgui.py: line 399:
Gramps failed to start. Please report a bug about this.
This could be because of an error in a (third party) View on
startup.
To use another view, don't load a Family Tree, change view,
and then load your Family Tree.
You can also change manually the startup view in the
gramps.ini file
by changing the last-view parameter.
Traceback (most recent call last):
   File "/home/dougb/Gramps/gramps/gui/grampsgui.py", line
368, in __startgramps
     Gramps(argparser)
   File "/home/dougb/Gramps/gramps/gui/grampsgui.py", line
251, in __init__
     from . import viewmanager
   File "/home/dougb/Gramps/gramps/gui/viewmanager.py", line
77, in <module>
     from .plug import (PluginWindows, ReportPluginDialog,
ToolPluginDialog)
ImportError: cannot import name PluginWindows

System Information:
===================

Python version: 3.3.3 (default, Nov 27 2013, 17:12:35) [GCC
4.8.2]
BSDDB version: 5.3.0 (5, 3, 28)
Gramps version: 4.1.1
LANG: en_GB.UTF-8
OS: Linux

GTK version    : 3.8.4
gobject version: 3.8.2
cairo version  : (1, 10, 0)

Which doesn't seem to have any obvious relation to filters.

Doug

Re: Transferring filters

Nick Hall
On 01/09/14 18:27, Douglas Bainbridge wrote:

> Yes, I've been taking the custom_filters.xml files from various
> .gramps/grampsxx directories to try them out with 3.4.8 (on one
> machine) or 4.1.1 (on another).
>
> The error message I got when trying a 3.4.8 custom_filters.xml in
> 4.4.1 gramps was:
>
> Error Details:
> ===================
>
> 2847: ERROR: grampsgui.py: line 399:
> Gramps failed to start. Please report a bug about this.
> This could be because of an error in a (third party) View on startup.
> To use another view, don't load a Family Tree, change view, and then
> load your Family Tree.
> You can also change manually the startup view in the gramps.ini file
> by changing the last-view parameter.
> Traceback (most recent call last):
>   File "/home/dougb/Gramps/gramps/gui/grampsgui.py", line 368, in
> __startgramps
>     Gramps(argparser)
>   File "/home/dougb/Gramps/gramps/gui/grampsgui.py", line 251, in
> __init__
>     from . import viewmanager
>   File "/home/dougb/Gramps/gramps/gui/viewmanager.py", line 77, in
> <module>
>     from .plug import (PluginWindows, ReportPluginDialog,
> ToolPluginDialog)
> ImportError: cannot import name PluginWindows
>
> System Information:
> ===================
>
> Python version: 3.3.3 (default, Nov 27 2013, 17:12:35) [GCC 4.8.2]
> BSDDB version: 5.3.0 (5, 3, 28)
> Gramps version: 4.1.1
> LANG: en_GB.UTF-8
> OS: Linux
>
> GTK version    : 3.8.4
> gobject version: 3.8.2
> cairo version  : (1, 10, 0)
>

> Which doesn't seem to have any obvious relation to filters.

At a first glance, there seems to be something wrong with your
installation.  I wouldn't normally expect to see an error like this.

Re: Transferring filters

Douglas Bainbridge
On 01/09/14 22:41, Nick Hall wrote:

> On 01/09/14 18:27, Douglas Bainbridge wrote:
>> Yes, I've been taking the custom_filters.xml files from
>> various .gramps/grampsxx directories to try them out with
>> 3.4.8 (on one machine) or 4.1.1 (on another).
>>
>> The error message I got when trying a 3.4.8
>> custom_filters.xml in 4.4.1 gramps was:
>>
>> Error Details:
>> ===================
>>
>> 2847: ERROR: grampsgui.py: line 399:
>> Gramps failed to start. Please report a bug about this.
>> This could be because of an error in a (third party) View
>> on startup.
>> To use another view, don't load a Family Tree, change
>> view, and then load your Family Tree.
>> You can also change manually the startup view in the
>> gramps.ini file
>> by changing the last-view parameter.
>> Traceback (most recent call last):
>>   File "/home/dougb/Gramps/gramps/gui/grampsgui.py", line
>> 368, in __startgramps
>>     Gramps(argparser)
>>   File "/home/dougb/Gramps/gramps/gui/grampsgui.py", line
>> 251, in __init__
>>     from . import viewmanager
>>   File "/home/dougb/Gramps/gramps/gui/viewmanager.py",
>> line 77, in <module>
>>     from .plug import (PluginWindows, ReportPluginDialog,
>> ToolPluginDialog)
>> ImportError: cannot import name PluginWindows
>>
>> System Information:
>> ===================
>>
>> Python version: 3.3.3 (default, Nov 27 2013, 17:12:35)
>> [GCC 4.8.2]
>> BSDDB version: 5.3.0 (5, 3, 28)
>> Gramps version: 4.1.1
>> LANG: en_GB.UTF-8
>> OS: Linux
>>
>> GTK version    : 3.8.4
>> gobject version: 3.8.2
>> cairo version  : (1, 10, 0)
>>

>> Which doesn't seem to have any obvious relation to filters.
>
> At a first glance, there seems to be something wrong with
> your installation.  I wouldn't normally expect to see an
> error like this.
>
> Nick

It looks like that, I agree.
But it runs quite normally with its own custom_filters.xml
or with a (much simpler) set of filters from another 3.4
gramps (earlier than 3.4.8)

Doug

Re: Transferring filters

Nick Hall
On 02/09/14 10:55, Douglas Bainbridge wrote:
> It looks like that, I agree.
> But it runs quite normally with its own custom_filters.xml or with a
> (much simpler) set of filters from another 3.4 gramps (earlier than
> 3.4.8)

If you send me your custom_filters.xml I'll have a look at it for you.

Re: Transferring filters

Douglas Bainbridge
On 03/09/14 23:32, Nick Hall wrote:

> On 02/09/14 10:55, Douglas Bainbridge wrote:
>> It looks like that, I agree.
>> But it runs quite normally with its own
>> custom_filters.xml or with a (much simpler) set of
>> filters from another 3.4 gramps (earlier than 3.4.8)
>
> If you send me your custom_filters.xml I'll have a look at
> it for you.
>
> Nick.

I've finally tracked down the 3.4.8 filter causing 4.1.1 to
crash.

It's a media filter, constructed as follows:

Media objects changed after the <datetime>; Changed after:=
"2014-01-01"
Media objects having notes containing <text>; Text:= "cohn"
All rules must apply

Removing this filter allows the 3.4.8 custom_filters.xml to
run OK in 4.1.1 gramps.

Re-creating it in the imported 3.4.8 custom_filters.xml in
4.1.1, exactly as above, causes no problem, either after
creation or on re-starting gramps.

Bizarre!

Doug

FOLLOW-UP: Re: Transferring filters

Douglas Bainbridge
On 15/09/14 18:00, Douglas Bainbridge wrote:

> On 03/09/14 23:32, Nick Hall wrote:
>> On 02/09/14 10:55, Douglas Bainbridge wrote:
>>> It looks like that, I agree.
>>> But it runs quite normally with its own
>>> custom_filters.xml or with a (much simpler) set of
>>> filters from another 3.4 gramps (earlier than 3.4.8)
>> If you send me your custom_filters.xml I'll have a look at
>> it for you.
>>
>> Nick.
>>

> I've finally tracked down the 3.4.8 filter causing 4.1.1 to
> crash.
>
> It's a media filter, constructed as follows:
>
> Media objects changed after the <datetime>; Changed after:=
> "2014-01-01"
> Media objects having notes containing <text>; Text:= "cohn"
> All rules must apply
>

> Removing this filter allows the 3.4.8 custom_filters.xml to
> run OK in 4.1.1 gramps.
>
> Re-creating it in the imported 3.4.8 custom_filters.xml in
> 4.1.1, exactly as above, causes no problem, either after
> creation or on re-starting gramps.
>
> Bizarre!
>
> Doug

Further testing: 4.1.1->3.4.8->4.1.1

The custom_filters.xml with the media filter recreated in
4.1.1 (as above) was imported into the 3.4.8 gramps. It runs OK.
The custom_filters.xml now in 3.4.8 was then imported back -
without change - into 4.1.1. Gramps crashes as described.

Is this due to some python incompatibility showing up? 3.4.8
is python 2.7.5+; 4.1.1 is python 3.3

Doug

Re: FOLLOW-UP: Re: Transferring filters

enno
Douglas,
> Further testing: 4.1.1->3.4.8->4.1.1
>
> The custom_filters.xml with the media filter recreated in
> 4.1.1 (as above) was imported into the 3.4.8 gramps. It runs OK.
> The custom_filters.xml now in 3.4.8 was then imported back -
> without change - into 4.1.1. Gramps crashes as described.
>
> Is this due to some python incompatibility showing up? 3.4.8
> is python 2.7.5+; 4.1.1 is python 3.3
How do you mean 4.1.1 is python 3.3? 4.1.1 runs with 2 or 3 depending on
the installation. The Windows AIO is definitely Python 2.

regards,

On 16/09/14 11:51, Enno Borgsteede wrote:

> Douglas,
>> Further testing: 4.1.1->3.4.8->4.1.1
>>
>> The custom_filters.xml with the media filter recreated in
>> 4.1.1 (as above) was imported into the 3.4.8 gramps. It runs OK.
>> The custom_filters.xml now in 3.4.8 was then imported back -
>> without change - into 4.1.1. Gramps crashes as described.
>>
>> Is this due to some python incompatibility showing up? 3.4.8
>> is python 2.7.5+; 4.1.1 is python 3.3
> How do you mean 4.1.1 is python 3.3? 4.1.1 runs with 2 or 3 depending on
> the installation. The Windows AIO is definitely Python 2.
>
> regards,
>
> Enno
Sorry, maybe I was too succinct.
My OS is Linux Mint Debian Edition update 9 on both a PC and
a laptop.
My version of gramps on the PC is 3.4.8.
My gramps on the laptop is 4.1.1.

I originally installed the 4.1 version a while back to use
as a testbed - gramps was then migrating to python3 and gtk3
- in order to help list the compatible and incompatible
add-ons (at that time there was a wiki page to show which
had been converted).

Now that 4.1 has settled down I use it as my laptop version,
and transfer dbs between the two machines for travelling.

Regards,
Doug