Translation of norwegian place types

Kjell-Ivar Hosum
Hi,

There are a few translations of place types in the Norwegian bokmål and
Norwegian nynorsk translations that can give some confusion. The
translations will also cause incorrect place types when the display
language is switched to other languages like English. The translation to
Norwegian nynorsk have other translations of some of the the place types.
Is it possible to change the translations so the most correct place type
can be used and the translation to Norwegian bokmål and Norwegian
nynorsk is consistent?

Norwegian bokmål:
    - Borough -> By - Suggestion: Bykommune/Bydel
    - Town -> By - Suggestion: By
    - City -> By - Suggestion: Storby?
    - Village -> Småby - Suggestion: Landsby
    - Province -> Delstat/fylke - Suggestion: Provins (Not used in Norway)
    - County -> Fylke - Suggestion: Fylke
    - Department -> Fylke - Suggestion: Departement (We do not have
"department" in Norway)
    - Municipality -> Prestegjeld - Suggestion: Kommune
    - Parish -> Prestegjeld - Suggestion: Prestegjeld

Norwegian nynorsk:
  - Borough -> Kommune - Suggestion: Bykommune/Bydel
  - Town -> By - Suggestion: By
  - City -> By/Kommune - Suggestion: Storby?
  - Village -> Landsby - Suggestion: Landsby
  - Province -> Provins - Suggestion: Provins (Not used in Norway)
  - County -> Fylke - Suggestion: Fylke
  - Department -> Avdeling - Suggestion: Departement (We do not have
"department" in Norway)
  - Municipality -> Lokalitet - Suggestion: Kommune
  - Parish -> Prestegjeld - Suggestion: Prestegjeld

Kjell-Ivar Hosum

Re: Translation of norwegian place types

Kjell-Ivar Hosum
Hi,

I cannot find the place type "local parish" in a fresh install of Gramps 5.1.1.
Where do you find the "Local Parish" place type?

--
Kjell-Ivar Hosum

On 02.01.2020 17:21, Victor Engel wrote:
[...]

GRAMPS - User mailing list
On 03/01/2020 11:57, Victor Engel wrote:
> It's in zillions of parish records on Norway's digital archives. In
> fact, I would say most records refer to a parish and a local parish.
> The larger parishes were subdivided into local parishes. I can give
> examples, but it is not in Gramps. However, if the data is to be
> recorded in Gramps, shouldn't Gramps be abke to handle it?

Just create a custom type.

The standard list is not comprehensive.  It is missing Townland and
Prefecture for example, and probably many others.

Re: Translation of norwegian place types

Kjell-Ivar Hosum
OK, I understand - Gramps does not have the term "Local Parish" by default.
But it is possible to register whatever place type you want in Gramps by just typing a place type in the place type field.

Would it make sense to translate "Parish" to "Prestegjeld" and then anyone can by themselves add the place type "Local Parish" as "Sogn" (in Norwegian bokmål) and "Sokn" (in Norwegian nynorsk).

--
Kjell-Ivar Hosum