Trying to make small DB for upload to developers - help

Trying to make small DB for upload to developers - help

Rich Lakey
First, what is a goal for size? I reduced my people from 17,000+ to 7. That reduced the size from 6.0 GB to 4.3 GB.
Just saw on the bug site 8 mb is the maximum. I have a ways to go.

But I still have 37,685 events. I would like to remove all events numbered less than 47,000
I filtered to show only 2 events and yet they all export. How do I delete the records not selected by the filter?

I have over 6,000 places, how can I reduce that

I have over 10,000 citations how can I reduce them.

I want to leave my sources alone as that is where the problem lies.

I believe filters may be the answer but I and filters have never got along. I think I have had 2 successful filters in the last 7 years.
I would appreciate some help. I've been working on this bug for weeks.
Rich

--
Have you backed up your files today?

Re: Trying to make small DB for upload to developers - help

Ron Johnson
In the "Export options" section of "Export Tree" is the Reference Filter.  I always have it set to "Do not include records not linked to a selected person".

If that doesn't work, then in the restored and still too large database, run Tools->"Family Tree Repair"->"Remove Unused Objects".  (You'll have to run it multiple times.)

You might then have to export/import that to make a smaller set of BSDDB files (which you'd then compress).

On 02/01/2017 04:09 PM, Rich wrote:
[...]

This is for bug 9920.  I tried what Ron suggested but that removes all sources records not associated with the 7 people. I need to trim everything but the sources. I cannot even delete anyone source record or the problem goes away.
The problem occurs on two machines, both Linux mint 18.1 One is up to date on patches  and since the problem first appeared I don't have any patches on the other. One is 4.2.3 and the other 4.2.5 and they both fail.
Rich

On 02/01/2017 04:30 PM, Dave Scheipers wrote:
[...]

Paul Franklin-5
I haven't been following your problem, or this thread.
(Since it seems GUI related and I know very little there.)

But I can't imagine anything you want to upload which
should be measured in gigabytes!

If you want to export your family tree, choose "File=>Export"
(or just type ctrl-E), and then choose "gramps XML" format.
Don't choose the one which includes copies of your media
(which is the only way I can imagine GBs of data).

Then on one of the next screens, over in the lower-left
corner, there is a box saying something about "compressed".
Make sure that box is /not/ checked.  Then you will get an
uncompressed (not zipped) "gramps XML" file.  It's just a
text file (and you can look at it with any editor you like).

If you want to remove things, I suggest you do it by editing
that (text) file.  But I doubt it'll be measured in gigabytes.

HTH.