Twins sharing birth event?

Chris Darnell
Hi,

As I've come across a set of twins in my research, I'm now left to wonder which approach is better. Do I create individual events, or do I let them share the birth event?

Really, what it boils down to is whether letting them share the event would cause any problems with reports.

Thank you for your advice,
Chris

Re: Twins sharing birth event?

Ron Johnson
I'd do separate events.  That way, each can have their own birth certificate
attached, etc.

On 09/20/2016 09:26 PM, Chris Darnell wrote:

> Hi,
>
> As I've come across a set of twins in my research, I'm now left to wonder
> which approach is better. Do I create individual events, or do I let them
> share the birth event?
>
> Really, what it boils down to is whether letting them share the event
> would cause any problems with reports.
>
> Thank you for your advice,
> Chris

Re: Twins sharing birth event?

Brad Rogers
On Tue, 20 Sep 2016 22:26:54 -0400
Chris Darnell <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hello Chris,

>which approach is better. Do I create individual events, or do I let
>them share the birth event?

Personally, I share the event, adding an attribute to each individual
for "Time" (of birth).

Being aware of Ron's response;  If you wish to attach scans of birth
certs to the event it would certainly be less confusing to create
individual events.  Personally, I don't bother where I have a paper copy
of the certificate.

--
 Regards  _
An old custom to sell your daughter

Re: Twins sharing birth event?

Sebastian Schubert
On 21.09.2016 04:26, Chris Darnell wrote:
> Hi,
>
> As I've come across a set of twins in my research, I'm now left to
> wonder which approach is better. Do I create individual events, or do I
> let them share the birth event?

I'd use separate events. The actual birth day could be different. Child
A born at 11.55 pm, Child B at 0.05 am next day. Probably unlikely but
could happen. Also, as Ron, I have different birth certificates.

Cheers,
Sebastian

Re: Twins sharing birth event?

Martnal
Sebastian beat me to it on births on different days, but also the event could be different for each birth.  One might be natural and one assisted in various ways.  One might be stillborn.  For multiple births beyond twins it would get more complicated.  Having several twins in my tree, I realise that I had recorded them as separate events without even thinking about it.

Martin

Martin, SW London

Gedmatch DNA Kit H062246.
FT-DNA Kit B388093.

Names: Loughborough and Loughbrough, (London, Hull, Pirton and Hartlepool);
Watson, (Bedlington, Jarrow & H'pool);
Ballard & Glassop (E. London);
Leggett (Corton, Scarborough, Hartlepool);
Young & Wilson, (Hartlepool).

I am using GrampsAIO64-5.0.0-1 on Windows 10.

Re: Twins sharing birth event?

Dave Scheipers
I put Twin, triplet in the description and almost always use separate events. The only time I use the same event is when the exact same citation is used. Different citation, different event. Same goes for common baptisms.

Dave

On Wed, Sep 21, 2016 at 6:00 AM, Martnal <[hidden email]> wrote:
Sebastian beat me to it on births on different days, but also the event could
be different for each birth.  One might be natural and one assisted in
various ways.  One might be stillborn.  For multiple births beyond twins it
would get more complicated.  Having several twins in my tree, I realise that
I had recorded them as separate events without even thinking about it.

Martin

-----

Martin, SW London

I am using GRAMPS 4.2.3-1 on Windows 10.

I am researching surnames Loughborough, (London and Hartlepool), Watson, (Jarrow and Hartlepool), Ballard and Glassop (E. London), Mowbray, Pounder and Bulmer, (all Hartlepool), Leggett (Middlesborough and Prescot).

Re: Twins sharing birth event?

Brad Rogers
On Wed, 21 Sep 2016 06:58:26 -0500
Ron Johnson <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hello Ron,

>Note that events can share a citation.

True, but Dave makes a valid point.  It's possible that birth indexes may
have the twins on separate pages(1).  Under those circumstances, I'd use
separate events myself.  As I would if the dates differed as suggested
by Sebastian.  Two case types I hadn't considered.

Martnal's comments regarding assisted/natural, etc. don't impinge on
English/Welsh birth events; the certificate makes no distinction.  In
any case, I'd use Attributes and/or Notes for such things.

(1) Certainly possible the way the GRO indexes births in England/Wales.
Similar things would be possible in Scotland and Ireland where indexes
are similar in style to those used in England and Wales.

--
 Regards  _
You only see me for the clothes that I wear

Re: Twins sharing birth event?

Chris Darnell

Hello again,

Thank you all for your input. I've decided to use a single event since it is quite a long time ago, and it is from the same source and citation.

I agree though, that if there were any details that were different that it would warrant separate events.

Chris

Re: Twins sharing birth event?

Of course, there's nothing to stop you from sometimes sharing an event and
sometimes having individual events.

(In fact, the more I think about it... I recall that I made a custom Event
type "Multiple Birth Child" (separate from "Birth", of which each of the
twins has one of).

On 09/21/2016 10:39 AM, Chris Darnell wrote:

> Hello again,
>
> Thank you all for your input. I've decided to use a single event since it
> is quite a long time ago, and it is from the same source and citation.
>
> I agree though, that if there were any details that were different that it
> would warrant separate events.

Re: Twins sharing birth event?

Hugh Paterson III
Is there any other special relationship between the two twins? Is there any way of indication a bi-directional relationship between the two entities (twins), so that when each record is viewed, that it also points to the other record as one of two twins?

- Hugh

On Wed, Sep 21, 2016 at 9:10 AM, Ron Johnson <[hidden email]> wrote:
Of course, there's nothing to stop you from sometimes sharing an event and
sometimes having individual events.

(In fact, the more I think about it... I recall that I made a custom Event
type "Multiple Birth Child" (separate from "Birth", of which each of the
twins has one of).

On 09/21/2016 10:39 AM, Chris Darnell wrote:

> Hello again,
>
> Thank you all for your input. I've decided to use a single event since it
> is quite a long time ago, and it is from the same source and citation.
>
> I agree though, that if there were any details that were different that it
> would warrant separate events.

Re: Twins sharing birth event?

Not to my knowledge.  A note would work, as would an Attribute (probably the technically correct optiom) but I decided on this, since it's more "in your face".