Two Freezes in Two Days

Tony Gordon
I have just had my second freeze in two days that has required an
undignified exit from the program. The freezes have occurred with two
different databases.

As suggested after the earlier freeze, I had started Gramps from the
terminal. I had finished editing an event and wasn't actively doing
anything when I got a message that Gramps was not responding and did I
want to wait or quit. I clicked wait. Nothing happened for some time so
I killed Gramps using the System Manager. The only messages on the
terminal before I used the System Manager to kill Gramps were two lines
saying:
"GTK-Message: GtkDialog mapped without a transient parent. This is
discouraged."

I reopened Gramps, broke the lock and the database opened okay with the
changes I had made. On quitting Gramps, the following appeared in the
terminal:
/usr/lib/python3.4/site-packages/gramps/gui/widgets/undoableentry.py:113: Warning:
g_value_get_int: assertion 'G_VALUE_HOLDS_INT (value)' failed
   Gtk.Entry.set_text(self, text)

I do not know if any of these terminal comments mean anything. Can
someone advise me if they do, and what they mean.

I have recently upgraded my system (to Fedora 21) and this may have
something to do with it; I installed Gramps from the repository.

Fortunately I have backups, but the freezes are making me worried about
the security of my data going forwards.

Regards
Tony

System Information:
===================
Python version: 3.4.1 (default, Nov 3 2014, 14:38:10) [GCC 4.9.1
20140930 (Red Hat 4.9.1-11)]
BSDDB version: 6.0.1 (5, 3, 28)
Gramps version: 4.1.1
LANG: en_NZ.UTF-8
OS: Linux
GTK version : 3.14.6
gobject version: 3.14.0
cairo version : (1, 10, 0)

Re: Two Freezes in Two Days

Nick Hall
On 04/01/15 08:30, Tony Gordon wrote:
> I reopened Gramps, broke the lock and the database opened okay with the
> changes I had made. On quitting Gramps, the following appeared in the
> terminal:
> /usr/lib/python3.4/site-packages/gramps/gui/widgets/undoableentry.py:113: Warning:
> g_value_get_int: assertion 'G_VALUE_HOLDS_INT (value)' failed
>     Gtk.Entry.set_text(self, text)
>
> I do not know if any of these terminal comments mean anything. Can
> someone advise me if they do, and what they mean.

This is a known issue.  See:

8029: Gtk3 warning and custom undoableentry widget

It is safe to ignore, but I have disabled the warnings in the next minor
release (v4.1.2).

Re: Two Freezes in Two Days

On 04/01/15 08:30, Tony Gordon wrote:
> I killed Gramps using the System Manager. The only messages on the
> terminal before I used the System Manager to kill Gramps were two lines
> saying:
> "GTK-Message: GtkDialog mapped without a transient parent. This is
> discouraged."

Which dialog did you open to produce this message?

Re: Two Freezes in Two Days

On 04/01/15 08:30, Tony Gordon wrote:
> As suggested after the earlier freeze, I had started Gramps from the
> terminal. I had finished editing an event and wasn't actively doing
> anything when I got a message that Gramps was not responding and did I
> want to wait or quit.

What exactly do you mean by "wasn't actively doing anything"?

Are you saying that clicking the "OK" button in the event editor didn't
cause the freeze?

Perhaps you moved the mouse pointer across the Gramps window, or moved
another window in front of it.  This could trigger a Gtk event.

Re: Two Freezes in Two Days

Tom Hughes
On 05/01/15 15:56, Nick Hall wrote:

> On 04/01/15 08:30, Tony Gordon wrote:
>> As suggested after the earlier freeze, I had started Gramps from the
>> terminal. I had finished editing an event and wasn't actively doing
>> anything when I got a message that Gramps was not responding and did I
>> want to wait or quit.
>
> What exactly do you mean by "wasn't actively doing anything"?
>
> Are you saying that clicking the "OK" button in the event editor didn't
> cause the freeze?

If it's the same freeze I'm working on then it is triggered by the OK
and I'm getting close to pinning it down I think.

I have a breakpoint set in gdb at the moment that I hope is going to
trigger next time it happens to me...

Tom

--
Tom Hughes ([hidden email])
http://compton.nu/

Re: Two Freezes in Two Days

Tom Hughes
On 05/01/15 15:44, Nick Hall wrote:
> On 04/01/15 08:30, Tony Gordon wrote:
>> I killed Gramps using the System Manager. The only messages on the
>> terminal before I used the System Manager to kill Gramps were two lines
>> saying:
>> "GTK-Message: GtkDialog mapped without a transient parent. This is
>> discouraged."
>>

> Which dialog did you open to produce this message?

One which I know does it (it isn't related to the freezing) is the
clipboard.

Tom

--
Tom Hughes ([hidden email])
http://compton.nu/

Re: Two Freezes in Two Days

On 05/01/15 16:27, Tom Hughes wrote:
>> Are you saying that clicking the "OK" button in the event editor didn't
>> cause the freeze?
>
> If it's the same freeze I'm working on then it is triggered by the OK
> and I'm getting close to pinning it down I think.
>
> I have a breakpoint set in gdb at the moment that I hope is going to
> trigger next time it happens to me...

Most reports suggest that it is triggered by clicking "OK" in an editor.

Thanks for investigating.  None of the developers are able to reproduce
the problem, which makes it almost impossible to track down.

Re: Two Freezes in Two Days

On 05/01/15 16:27, Tom Hughes wrote:
>> Which dialog did you open to produce this message?
>
> One which I know does it (it isn't related to the freezing) is the
> clipboard.

I don't see the message when opening the clipboard.  What Gtk version
are you using?

Re: Two Freezes in Two Days

Tom Hughes
On 05/01/15 17:49, Nick Hall wrote:
> On 05/01/15 16:27, Tom Hughes wrote:
>>> Which dialog did you open to produce this message?
>>
>> One which I know does it (it isn't related to the freezing) is the
>> clipboard.
>
> I don't see the message when opening the clipboard.  What Gtk version
> are you using?

3.14.6

Tom

--
Tom Hughes ([hidden email])
http://compton.nu/

Re: Two Freezes in Two Days

Nick Hall
On 05/01/15 17:54, Tom Hughes wrote:

>>> One which I know does it (it isn't related to the freezing) is the
>>> clipboard.
>>
>> I don't see the message when opening the clipboard.  What Gtk version
>> are you using?
>
> 3.14.6

I'm still using 3.10.  It looks like I need a more up-to-date
development environment.

Thanks.

Re: Two Freezes in Two Days

Josip
5.1.2015. u 16:44, Nick Hall je napisao/la:

> On 04/01/15 08:30, Tony Gordon wrote:
>> I killed Gramps using the System Manager. The only messages on the
>> terminal before I used the System Manager to kill Gramps were two lines
>> saying:
>> "GTK-Message: GtkDialog mapped without a transient parent. This is
>> discouraged."
>>

> Which dialog did you open to produce this message?
>
> Nick.

Clipboard (main menu --> Edit --> Clipboard)
SaveChanges (add new preson, in person editor click button cancel) that
dialog sometimes hide below other windows
Cannot save person (click OK in add new person editor without editing
anything, also like to hide)
Cannot merge people
Preferences
Configure (from any view)
Event comparison filter selection
Find Possible Duplicate People
Undo History Warning

Plus some other that behave strangely:
Report-->Book after displayed over top sometimes jump to hide below main
window, Tip Of The Day also do that (not always it is somewhat random)

All that with Gtk-3.14.6 in Windows-8.1

You said to use Gtk-3.10 that brings Deprecation of GtkStock, GtkAction,
GtkUIManager, etc
If started with "python -Wd Gramps.py" warning list is endless :-)

--
Josip

Re: Two Freezes in Two Days

Eric Doutreleau
Hi

i m using gramps 4.1.1 in fedora21 but with python2.
i was able to reproduice the problem and i got a backtrace under gdb by
typing ctrl C during a loop.

here is the backtrace
http://pastebin.com/A7uxrStb

I don't know if it can be useful or not

Le 05/01/2015 18:48, Nick Hall a écrit :

> On 05/01/15 16:27, Tom Hughes wrote:
>>> Are you saying that clicking the "OK" button in the event editor didn't
>>> cause the freeze?
>> If it's the same freeze I'm working on then it is triggered by the OK
>> and I'm getting close to pinning it down I think.
>>
>> I have a breakpoint set in gdb at the moment that I hope is going to
>> trigger next time it happens to me...
>>
> Most reports suggest that it is triggered by clicking "OK" in an editor.
>
> Thanks for investigating.  None of the developers are able to reproduce
> the problem, which makes it almost impossible to track down.
>
> Nick.

Re: Two Freezes in Two Days

Tom Hughes
On 06/01/15 08:16, Eric Doutreleau wrote:

> i m using gramps 4.1.1 in fedora21 but with python2.
> i was able to reproduice the problem and i got a backtrace under gdb by
> typing ctrl C during a loop.
>
> here is the backtrace
> http://pastebin.com/A7uxrStb
>
> I don't know if it can be useful or not

That is not the same hang I am investigating.

That looks like it is probably much higher up in the python code. The
one I am looking at is very low down in the X event handling.

Tom

--
Tom Hughes ([hidden email])
http://compton.nu/

Re: Two Freezes in Two Days

jerome
There is maybe something common: GObject introspection?

http://python-gtk-3-tutorial.readthedocs.org/en/latest/objects.html

True, one is a "python representation" (gi binding), the other one is the "core lib".

Note, there is maybe a possible test to do: to try to use keyboard only!
Either remove your mouse on your config (or not), then navigate with keys (gtk+ and gramps).
https://gramps-project.org/wiki/index.php?title=Gramps_4.1_Wiki_Manual_-_Keybindings

Can you also reproduce it?

I cannot reproduce it, and did not test Wayland and related (old Xorg environment).

 Objet: Re: [Gramps-users] Two Freezes in Two Days
 À: "Eric Doutreleau" <[hidden email]>, [hidden email]
 Date: Mardi 6 janvier 2015, 9h29

 On 06/01/15 08:16, Eric
 Doutreleau wrote:

 > i m
 using gramps 4.1.1 in fedora21 but with python2.
 > i was able to reproduice the problem and i
 got a backtrace under gdb by
 > typing
 ctrl C during a loop.

 http://pastebin.com/A7uxrStb

 > I don't know if
 it can be useful or not

 That is not the same hang I am
 investigating.

 That looks
 like it is probably much higher up in the python code. The

 one I am looking at is very low down in the
 X event handling.

 Tom

 --
 Tom Hughes
 ([hidden email])
 http://compton.nu/

 and developed in partnership with Slashdot Media, is your
 hub for all things parallel software
 development, from weekly thought
 leadership
 blogs to news, videos, case studies, tutorials and more.
 Take a
 look and join the conversation now.
 http://goparallel.sourceforge.net

Re: Two Freezes in Two Days

On 06/01/15 08:16, Eric Doutreleau wrote:
> i m using gramps 4.1.1 in fedora21 but with python2.
> i was able to reproduice the problem and i got a backtrace under gdb by
> typing ctrl C during a loop.
>
> here is the backtrace
> http://pastebin.com/A7uxrStb
>
> I don't know if it can be useful or not

Yes, that is very useful.

It shows that the active person has changed after a merge.  The
relationship view then tries to refresh but gets stuck in a loop.

The person_update method in gramps/plugins/view/relview.py could get
stuck in a loop if the change_person method never returns True.  You
could easily check this by putting a debug in the loop at line 230.