URL's in PDF reports

Elvin Birth
I am trying to open an image from within a report in .pdf. The report is stored in the same folder as the images.

The Note, "File://Images/002030.jpeg" appears in the .pdf  report as a link. Clicking on it attempts to access the file but it does not open in the default application.

Can someone help me with the correct syntax, please?

Regards, Elvin Birth

Re: URL's in PDF reports

prculley
The syntax may depend on the OS.  On my Windows machine the underlying URI is "file:///c:/users/you/pictures/test.jpg"
The file:/// part indicates the local machine.  Or it could be file://remotemachine/c:/users/you/pictures/test.jpg
How did the URI get into the report?  It may depend on how the source of the URI is parsed by the application to be placed into the pdf file.

Paul C.

On Mon, May 18, 2020 at 2:40 PM Elvin Birth <[hidden email]> wrote:
I am trying to open an image from within a report in .pdf. The report is stored in the same folder as the images.

The Note, "File://Images/002030.jpeg" appears in the .pdf  report as a link. Clicking on it attempts to access the file but it does not open in the default application.

Can someone help me with the correct syntax, please?

Regards, Elvin Birth

Re: URL's in PDF reports

dbareis
Hi,

My guess is if its not being prevented by security then  "File://Images/002030.jpeg" could be the text of the link.  The URL of the link for that should I believe look like: "file://///Images/002030.jpeg", why it from a browser in any case to work out how it needs to look.

---
Thanks
Dennis

On Tue, 19 May 2020 at 07:44, Paul Culley <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

I am using Mac OSX 10.4.6 with the Safari browser.

When I open an image in Safari, the absolute path is shown in the address field. This address can be copied into the Gramps Note Editor and marked as a Link in a Note of type Link. The text of the Link Note is underlined.

When Gramps copies this note into a report in PDF format it works as a link to the image with the exception that it must be limited to one line. Anything more than one line in the report is not seen and the link fails.

Since my purpose is to share reports with others, the absolute path is not likely to work on any system other than mine. I need a relative path link that works so long as report and images are in the same directory/folder. So far I have plowed into a stump.

Regards, Elvin Birth

From: Dennis Bareis <[hidden email]>

Date: Tue, 19 May 2020 15:14:06 +1000

Subject: Re: [Gramps-users] URL's in PDF reports

To: Paul Culley <[hidden email]>

Cc: Elvin Birth <[hidden email]>,

gramps-users lists <[hidden email]>

--000000000000511cf605a5f95b72

My guess is if its not being prevented by security then

"File://Images/002030.jpeg" could be the text of the link.  The URL of the

link for that should I believe look like: "file://///Images/002030.jpeg",

why it from a browser in any case to work out how it needs to look.

---

Thanks

Dennis

On Tue, 19 May 2020 at 07:44, Paul Culley <[hidden email]> wrote:

> The syntax may depend on the OS.  On my Windows machine the underlying URI

> is "file:///c:/users/you/pictures/test.jpg"

> The file:/// part indicates the local machine.  Or it could be

> file://remotemachine/c:/users/you/pictures/test.jpg

> How did the URI get into the report?  It may depend on how the source of

> the URI is parsed by the application to be placed into the pdf file.

> Paul C.

> On Mon, May 18, 2020 at 2:40 PM Elvin Birth <[hidden email]> wrote:

>> I am trying to open an image from within a report in .pdf. The report is

>> stored in the same folder as the images.

>> The Note, "File://Images/002030.jpeg" appears in the .pdf  report as a

>> link. Clicking on it attempts to access the file but it does not open in

>> the default application.

>> Can someone help me with the correct syntax, please?

>> Regards, Elvin Birth

Re: URL's in PDF reports

dbareis
Hi,

Who are you sharing this with?  If internal then use a share as suggested, if external either embed the images or put them on google drive, dropbox or similar (otherwise how are they getting them, zipped?).  I don't think relative directories are supported and I assume you have tried, but have you tried "file:///./SomeFile.jpg"

---
Thanks
Dennis

From: Dennis Bareis <[hidden email]>

Date: Tue, 19 May 2020 15:14:06 +1000

To: Paul Culley <[hidden email]>

Cc: Elvin Birth <[hidden email]>,

gramps-users lists <[hidden email]>

--000000000000511cf605a5f95b72

My guess is if its not being prevented by security then

"File://Images/002030.jpeg" could be the text of the link.  The URL of the

link for that should I believe look like: "file://///Images/002030.jpeg",

why it from a browser in any case to work out how it needs to look.

---

Thanks

Dennis

On Tue, 19 May 2020 at 07:44, Paul Culley <[hidden email]> wrote:

> The syntax may depend on the OS.  On my Windows machine the underlying URI

> is "file:///c:/users/you/pictures/test.jpg"

> The file:/// part indicates the local machine.  Or it could be

> file://remotemachine/c:/users/you/pictures/test.jpg

> How did the URI get into the report?  It may depend on how the source of

> the URI is parsed by the application to be placed into the pdf file.

> Paul C.

> On Mon, May 18, 2020 at 2:40 PM Elvin Birth <[hidden email]> wrote:

>> I am trying to open an image from within a report in .pdf. The report is

>> stored in the same folder as the images.

>> The Note, "File://Images/002030.jpeg" appears in the .pdf  report as a

>> link. Clicking on it attempts to access the file but it does not open in

>> the default application.

>> Can someone help me with the correct syntax, please?

>> Regards, Elvin Birth

Re: URL's in PDF reports

Patrick Gerlier

Le 21/05/2020 à 01:05, Dennis Bareis a écrit :
[...]

Is the link on several lines in Gramps itself? By "several lines", I mean: have you real "returns" in the link? or are they only an effect of line wrap?

I have very long URLs in notes (they are query URLs to archive sites with many arguments) which extend on 5 "lines" average due to the typical window width, but I make sure there is no "return" in them. When my Narrative Web is generated, these URLs convert without problem to links with all the arguments.

If you have no physical "return" in your URL as recorded by Gramps, is this an artefact of PDF export?

Since my purpose is to share reports with others, the absolute path is not likely to work on any system other than mine. I need a relative path link that works so long as report and images are in the same directory/folder. So far I have plowed into a stump.

Regards, Elvin Birth

Re: URL's in PDF reports

Sean DALY
Elvin Birth,

If you really are using OS X v10.4 Tiger, you should be aware that your software is many years out of date. That operating system and Safari v4.1.3, in principle the highest Safari version compatible with OS X v10.4, have not been supported by Apple for the past ten years and likely have a number of serious security vulnerabilities.

I still have a 2003 iBook which boots up Tiger, and it is a stable machine which runs well, but I wouldn't dream of using a web browser on it. I use mine as a zone-free DVD player and to run UNIX utilities.

Regards

Sean

From: Dennis Bareis <[hidden email]>

Date: Tue, 19 May 2020 15:14:06 +1000

To: Paul Culley <[hidden email]>

Cc: Elvin Birth <[hidden email]>,

From: Dennis Bareis <[hidden email]>

Date: Tue, 19 May 2020 15:14:06 +1000

To: Paul Culley <[hidden email]>

Cc: Elvin Birth <[hidden email]>,

From: Dennis Bareis <[hidden email]>

Date: Tue, 19 May 2020 15:14:06 +1000

To: Paul Culley <[hidden email]>

Cc: Elvin Birth <[hidden email]>,

gramps-users lists <[hidden email]>

--000000000000511cf605a5f95b72

My guess is if its not being prevented by security then

"File://Images/002030.jpeg" could be the text of the link.  The URL of the

link for that should I believe look like: "file://///Images/002030.jpeg",

why it from a browser in any case to work out how it needs to look.

---

Thanks

Dennis

On Tue, 19 May 2020 at 07:44, Paul Culley <[hidden email]> wrote:

> The syntax may depend on the OS.  On my Windows machine the underlying URI

> is "file:///c:/users/you/pictures/test.jpg"

> The file:/// part indicates the local machine.  Or it could be

> file://remotemachine/c:/users/you/pictures/test.jpg

> How did the URI get into the report?  It may depend on how the source of

> the URI is parsed by the application to be placed into the pdf file.

> Paul C.

> On Mon, May 18, 2020 at 2:40 PM Elvin Birth <[hidden email]> wrote:

>> I am trying to open an image from within a report in .pdf. The report is

>> stored in the same folder as the images.

>> The Note, "File://Images/002030.jpeg" appears in the .pdf  report as a

>> link. Clicking on it attempts to access the file but it does not open in

>> the default application.

>> Can someone help me with the correct syntax, please?

>> Regards, Elvin Birth

Re: URL's in PDF reports

Elvin Birth
When the second line of a File:// link in pdf fails to open the file, it does open the last folder shown on the first line of the link. The Link Note window, source of the link, shows the link on one line with no returns.

When I shorten the folder names, the link is displayed in the pdf file on one line and works properly. It appears to be a Gramps problem.

Re: URL's in PDF reports

Dave Scheipers
Try setting the Note record with a URL  link with the "Html code" note Type.

Another tool you might test out is the Note Cleanup Tool.  Even if you do not embed the URL with a text link it may "set" it as a single URL that will properly open.

On Fri, May 22, 2020 at 5:28 PM Elvin Birth <[hidden email]> wrote:
When the second line of a File:// link in pdf fails to open the file, it does open the last folder shown on the first line of the link. The Link Note window, source of the link, shows the link on one line with no returns.

When I shorten the folder names, the link is displayed in the pdf file on one line and works properly. It appears to be a Gramps problem.

Re: URL's in PDF reports

Elvin Birth
I don't understand html well enough to use it properly.

My need to reference an external file seems to be a major road block.

Thank you for your input.

Regards, Elvin

Re :Re: URL's in PDF reports

GRAMPS - User mailing list
I agree that if you want to export on a cd, html could be the best as link in consubstantial with html...
You can find a report that do the trick ....

Le dim., mai 24, 2020 à 21:30, Elvin Birth
<[hidden email]> a écrit :sent to export on a

Untitled Download Attachment
Untitled (206 bytes) Download Attachment

Re: URL's in PDF reports

Elvin Birth
The word WEB had paralyzed me because I fear disclosing details to wrong persons and I believe history without details is bland.

Thank you, one and all, for enlightening me!

Regards, Elvin