US Birth, Marriage, and Death templates for new Form Gramplet

US Birth, Marriage, and Death templates for new Form Gramplet

David L McMurray

Anyone else played around with any US Birth, Marriage, and Death Certificate templates for the new form gramplet? I’ve thrown some together and experimented with them and they seem to work for me and would be willing to share them for comments if there are no plans for any “official” versions to be distributed. I went with designing for more fields than are present on most of the forms since they vary greatly by state and year.

Re: US Birth, Marriage, and Death templates for new Form Gramplet

link
Dave,

I've played around with an SSDI form to get my feet wet but even with that simple data structure, I have not finished it.

I was wondering how to create a single marriage form for Washington state.  The required fields have changed over time.  Seems like it would be worse trying for a common form for the entire country.  We could have multiple forms by jurisdiction and year like the census forms.  Lots of nearly identical forms in the end.

What has really kept me from exploring forms is a lack of understanding how data from a form is automatically put into events and attributes.  In Washington, a marriage certificate can have the two persons being wedded, the official, witnesses, dates for the license, wedding, signing and filing, residences, birth places, ages and other things I can't remember off the top of my head.  I hate the idea of entering that data into a form and then re-entering it into events.

This goes along with messages I've seen in the last day or two--that it takes a lot of screens to enter the data.

Maybe it is there in the forms gramplet and I just haven't dug into enough.

One way though to deal with it is to rewrite the gramplet (sorry developers) so data fields can be grouped to be an event.  Other data can be identified as attributes. Then the gramplet harvests the data and puts it into the events.

And it gets tricky when you update data in the form and the events need to be updated automatically.

I have not thought this out in detail, just rambling for now.

Doug

On 17/01/16 03:43, David L McMurray wrote:

Anyone else played around with any US Birth, Marriage, and Death Certificate templates for the new form gramplet? I’ve thrown some together and experimented with them and they seem to work for me and would be willing to share them for comments if there are no plans for any “official” versions to be distributed. I went with designing for more fields than are present on most of the forms since they vary greatly by state and year.

I have no plans to create definitions for US certificates.

Please discuss on this list and then submit the definitions when there is agreement.  I will be happy to include them in the standard definitions.  Perhaps we could have a co-ordinator for each country?

On 18/01/16 04:58, Lingenbrink Doug wrote:
> What has really kept me from exploring forms is a lack of
> understanding how data from a form is automatically put into events
> and attributes.  In Washington, a marriage certificate can have the
> two persons being wedded, the official, witnesses, dates for the
> license, wedding, signing and filing, residences, birth places, ages
> and other things I can't remember off the top of my head.  I hate the
> idea of entering that data into a form and then re-entering it into
> events.

The form only creates an event for the main event.  The remaining source
information is stored as attributes.  Different attributes can be stored
depending on the role a person has in this main event.

> This goes along with messages I've seen in the last day or two--that
> it takes a lot of screens to enter the data.
>
> Maybe it is there in the forms gramplet and I just haven't dug into
> enough.
>
> One way though to deal with it is to rewrite the gramplet (sorry
> developers) so data fields can be grouped to be an event.  Other data
> can be identified as attributes. Then the gramplet harvests the data
> and puts it into the events.

This would be quite easy, but is it what we want?  Consider three
"secondary" events:  Birth, Occupation and Residence.

1. Birth

Do we want multiple birth events?  I suggest that if we went down this
route we would need some way to aggregate/consolidate them.

2. Occupation

Does an occupation recorded on a form actually correspond to an event?
It is not like an employment contract or apprenticeship certificate.

3. Residence

It would be useful to create events here.  However, they tend to clutter
reports, so aggregation/consolidation would also be useful here.

> And it gets tricky when you update data in the form and the events
> need to be updated automatically.

Correct.

Re: US Birth, Marriage, and Death templates for new Form Gramplet

David L McMurray

Not sure I want to be a coordinator for the US, but I’ve posted my definitions on the census testing page. Please feel free to take target practice at them. It should go without saying, but please don’t test them on your good database and blame me for the mess!

https://gramps-project.org/wiki/index.php?title=Census_Testing#Definitions

Dave