Ubuntu 18.04?

Paul Womack-2
I have just upgrade from 16.04 LTS to 18.04 LTS.

I am having 2 issues with gramps, both non-critical. My installation of Gramps is done from locally compiled source, since I make a couple of source additions//changes to suit my priorities and preferences.

1) in both 4.2.6 and 5.0.1 the background behind the text in the Dashboard view doesn't actually get drawn. So I can still see my desktop through gramps!! This is a non issue, since I don't use the Dashboard view.

2) In 4.2.6 the pins in the geography view have become *tiny*. This is slightly irksome, but not fatal.

I don't know wether this is a gramps fault, an Ubuntu fault, or a mismatch between the two fault.

Any and all advice welcome.

 BugBear

Re: Ubuntu 18.04?

Paul Womack-2
On Fri, 26 Apr 2019 at 12:20, Paul Womack <[hidden email]> wrote:

1) in both 4.2.6 and 5.0.1 the background behind the text in the Dashboard view doesn't actually get drawn. So I can still see my desktop through gramps!! This is a non issue, since I don't use the Dashboard view.

"darn".

The drawing issue also effect the display of "Notes" :-(

   BugBear

Re: Ubuntu 18.04?

GRAMPS - User mailing list
Looks like it isn't limited to Gramps. GIMP users report the same issue accross several year... last post on the following thread was 3/19/2019

There's a 'Profile' prefernce feature in the OS for making the Terminal window background transparent. Might be possible bleed-through of a similar setting or setting corruption.

This thread suggests restarting Unity...

-Brian

On Fri, Apr 26, 2019 at 8:12, Paul Womack

Untitled Download Attachment
Untitled (268 bytes) Download Attachment

Re: Ubuntu 18.04?

Peter (chamdo4ever)
For what it's worth, I rather recently upgraded to 18.04 from 14.04
(via 16.04) and there were no problems with my Gramps 5.0.0 (which had
not been compiled from source). Everything is working just fine,
however I decided to go with a Gnome desktop and not Unity (it seems
to be the direction it's going, so I figured I may as well start now).

I am having no problems with Gramps nor with Gimp.

Over the summer I am desperately hoping to build a new system and will
be doing a clean 18.04 install and a clean install of all software,
including Gramps...

Peter

On Fri, Apr 26, 2019 at 9:56 AM Emyoulation--- via Gramps-users
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Looks like it isn't limited to Gramps. GIMP users report the same issue accross several year... last post on the following thread was 3/19/2019
>
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/gimp/+bug/1371928
>
> There's a 'Profile' prefernce feature in the OS for making the Terminal window background transparent. Might be possible bleed-through of a similar setting or setting corruption.
>
> This thread suggests restarting Unity...
> https://askubuntu.com/questions/755084/popup-dialogs-transparent-instead-of-showing-any-content/789258#789258
>

> -Brian
>
> On Fri, Apr 26, 2019 at 8:12, Paul Womack

Re: Ubuntu 18.04?

Richard Nairn

Under Application Style - Check your GTK2/GTK3 Theme. I have switched them around to make Gramps look more pleasing with theme and fonts and I don't have those issues.

Ubuntu/KDE/Plasma