Ubuntu on an Old PC

Bart Hansen
I have been unable to install the Ubuntu 6.06 CD that I got from the
Shipit source.

In short, it takes a very long time to install; such that I never did
get past step 2
of the process. This completely puzzles me as I have reformatted my HD and
reinstalled Win 98 quickly and successfully, yet this had no effect
on the install
of Ubuntu.

According to the CD sleeve, my seven year old AMD 500MHZ PC with 512 of RAM
should handle 6.06. I have been on the Ubuntu Forum and also Tech Support. The
answer I got from the latter group was that I may need to try one of
the smaller versions
such as Kubuntu or Edubuntu. But these do not support Gramps, do
they? (I did not
tell them that my eventual goal was to run Gramps.)

Has anyone on this list managed to install Ubuntu on an older machine
like mine?

Thanks,
Bart

Re: Ubuntu on an Old PC

Don Allingham
Bart,

About a month ago, I was able successfully installed Ubuntu (6.10) on a
500MHz machine with 512MB of memory. The installation runs rather
nicely, and a friend who as completely upset at Windows, is now happily
running Linux.

My guess is that you probably have a hardware issue somewhere that is
preventing it from running. Are you running the Live (Desktop) CD that
allows you to boot and run Ubuntu from the CD, or are you running a more
traditional install CD?  If you can boot off the Live CD, then you can
install directly from the desktop, and you know that your hardware will
work.

GRAMPS will run just fine under Kubuntu or Edubuntu. Just install it
using Synaptic, or by running the following command from a terminal
window:

  $ sudo apt-get install gramps

Don

On Sat, 2007-02-24 at 08:48 -0500, Bart Hansen wrote:

> I have been unable to install the Ubuntu 6.06 CD that I got from the
> Shipit source.
>
> In short, it takes a very long time to install; such that I never did
> get past step 2
> of the process. This completely puzzles me as I have reformatted my HD and
> reinstalled Win 98 quickly and successfully, yet this had no effect
> on the install
> of Ubuntu.
>
> According to the CD sleeve, my seven year old AMD 500MHZ PC with 512 of RAM
> should handle 6.06. I have been on the Ubuntu Forum and also Tech Support. The
> answer I got from the latter group was that I may need to try one of
> the smaller versions
> such as Kubuntu or Edubuntu. But these do not support Gramps, do
> they? (I did not
> tell them that my eventual goal was to run Gramps.)
>
> Has anyone on this list managed to install Ubuntu on an older machine
> like mine?
>
> Thanks,
> Bart

Re: Ubuntu on an Old PC

Anton Huber
Hallo Bart,
Ubuntu is a great Linux, but perhaps on your machine it works slow.
You could test xubuntu, an *ubuntu part using xfce.
Xfce is gtk based like Gnome but without many libaries. It would run perfect
on your machine and you can install gramps with apt-get install gramps
without installing many other libaries.
Kubuntu uses KDE, needs RAM like Gnome and Edubuntu uses Gnome, too but with
another theme (a school-using-distro)

Best regards,

Anton

Am Samstag Februar 24 2007 17:26:50 schrieb Don Allingham:

> Bart,
>
> About a month ago, I was able successfully installed Ubuntu (6.10) on a
> 500MHz machine with 512MB of memory. The installation runs rather
> nicely, and a friend who as completely upset at Windows, is now happily
> running Linux.
>
> My guess is that you probably have a hardware issue somewhere that is
> preventing it from running. Are you running the Live (Desktop) CD that
> allows you to boot and run Ubuntu from the CD, or are you running a more
> traditional install CD?  If you can boot off the Live CD, then you can
> install directly from the desktop, and you know that your hardware will
> work.
>
> GRAMPS will run just fine under Kubuntu or Edubuntu. Just install it
> using Synaptic, or by running the following command from a terminal
> window:
>
>   $ sudo apt-get install gramps
>
> Don
>
> On Sat, 2007-02-24 at 08:48 -0500, Bart Hansen wrote:
> > I have been unable to install the Ubuntu 6.06 CD that I got from the
> > Shipit source.
> >
> > In short, it takes a very long time to install; such that I never did
> > get past step 2
> > of the process. This completely puzzles me as I have reformatted my HD
> > and reinstalled Win 98 quickly and successfully, yet this had no effect
> > on the install
> > of Ubuntu.
> >
> > According to the CD sleeve, my seven year old AMD 500MHZ PC with 512 of
> > RAM should handle 6.06. I have been on the Ubuntu Forum and also Tech
> > Support. The answer I got from the latter group was that I may need to
> > try one of the smaller versions
> > such as Kubuntu or Edubuntu. But these do not support Gramps, do
> > they? (I did not
> > tell them that my eventual goal was to run Gramps.)
> >
> > Has anyone on this list managed to install Ubuntu on an older machine
> > like mine?
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Bart

Re: Ubuntu on an Old PC

Serge Noiraud-2
Le/The Samedi 24 Février 2007 13:48, Bart Hansen a écrit/wrote :
> I have been unable to install the Ubuntu 6.06 CD that I got from the
> Shipit source.

> Has anyone on this list managed to install Ubuntu on an older machine
> like mine?
Yes, mine ( proxy ) is a 350mhz AMD with 256MiB. with 2 disks :
root@10.0.0.2's password:
Last login: Sat Feb 24 21:32:55 2007
Linux ip-89 2.6.15-27-386 #1 PREEMPT Fri Dec 8 17:51:56 UTC 2006 i586 GNU/Linux

The programs included with the Ubuntu system are free software;
the exact distribution terms for each program are described in the
individual files in /usr/share/doc/*/copyright.

Ubuntu comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY, to the extent permitted by
applicable law.
root@ip-89:~# more /proc/cpuinfo
processor       : 0
vendor_id       : AuthenticAMD
cpu family      : 5
model           : 8
model name      : AMD-K6(tm) 3D processor
stepping        : 12
cpu MHz         : 350.852
cache size      : 64 KB
fdiv_bug        : no
hlt_bug         : no
f00f_bug        : no
coma_bug        : no
fpu             : yes
fpu_exception   : yes
cpuid level     : 1
wp              : yes
flags           : fpu vme de pse tsc msr mce cx8 pge mmx syscall 3dnow k6_mtrr
bogomips        : 702.93

root@ip-89:~#fdisk -l

Disque /dev/hda: 3228 Mo, 3228696576 octets
128 têtes, 63 secteurs/piste, 782 cylindres
Unités = cylindres de 8064 * 512 = 4128768 octets

Périphérique Amorce    Début         Fin      Blocs    Id  Système
/dev/hda1   *           1          62      249952+  82  Linux swap / Solaris
/dev/hda2              63         782     2903040    5  Extended
/dev/hda5              63         782     2903008+  83  Linux

Disque /dev/hdb: 545 Mo, 545513472 octets
32 têtes, 63 secteurs/piste, 528 cylindres
Unités = cylindres de 2016 * 512 = 1032192 octets

Périphérique Amorce    Début         Fin      Blocs    Id  Système
/dev/hdb1   *           1         528      532192+  83  Linux
root@ip-89:~#cat /etc/*release
DISTRIB_ID=Ubuntu
DISTRIB_RELEASE=6.06
DISTRIB_CODENAME=dapper
DISTRIB_DESCRIPTION="Ubuntu 6.06.1 LTS"
root@ip-89:~# free
             total       used       free     shared    buffers     cached
Mem:        256296     251744       4552          0      66144      78808
-/+ buffers/cache:     106792     149504
Swap:       249944      18856     231088
root@ip-89:~#