Unable to collapse places and people

Martnal
Ever since I upgraded to version GrampsAIO64-4.2.5-1 I've had a problem in that I am unable to collapse places and people. I get this problem when I try to select a 'surrounded by' place, or to select people for adding to a relationship. They stay fully expanded.

Previously they were collapsed by default.

I can only select an entry by dragging the window slider.
 This might be a feature but I don't think so.

Martin

Martin, SW London

Gedmatch DNA Kit H062246.
FT-DNA Kit B388093.

Names: Loughborough and Loughbrough, (London, Hull, Pirton and Hartlepool);
Watson, (Bedlington, Jarrow & H'pool);
Ballard & Glassop (E. London);
Leggett (Corton, Scarborough, Hartlepool);
Young & Wilson, (Hartlepool).

I am using GrampsAIO64-5.0.0-1 on Windows 10.

Re: Unable to collapse places and people

Dave Scheipers
Hi Martin.

I too have issues with this change that was requested and there are bug fixes still open advocating a reversal.

Nick H posted a quick fix that works for me (4.2.5 on Win10)

You can edit line 56, in the gramps/gui/selectors/baseselector.py file, change "expand=True" to "expand=False".

Copy the file baseselector.py to a temp location, edit the line, then copy the file back to the original location. You may wish to rename the original file (ie baseselector_ORIG.py) so you have the original if there's an issue. PY files are simple text files but I use the free Code Writer app to make the edit.

Hope this helps, Dave

On Fri, Apr 21, 2017 at 5:34 PM, Martnal <[hidden email]> wrote:
Ever since I upgraded to version GrampsAIO64-4.2.5-1 I've had a problem in
that I am unable to collapse places and people. I get this problem when I
try to select a 'surrounded by' place, or to select people for adding to a
relationship. They stay fully expanded.

Previously they were collapsed by default.

I can only select an entry by dragging the window slider.
 This might be a feature but I don't think so.

Martin

-----

Martin, SW London

I am using GRAMPS 4.2.3-1 on Windows 10.

I am researching surnames Loughborough, (London and Hartlepool), Watson, (Jarrow and Hartlepool), Ballard and Glassop (E. London), Mowbray, Pounder and Bulmer, (all Hartlepool), Leggett (Middlesborough and Prescot).

Re: Unable to collapse places and people

Dave Scheipers
This was the change to put citations back to the collapsed hierarchy.

Don't know if you can manually change yours back.

Right now the "fix" for people and places is manual by the user in 4.2.5 and last I saw in 5.0. I've advocated for a way to let the user choose.

I find the expanded lists too unwieldy and think it defeats the purpose of the hierarchical structure. I often have to scroll through Sources to select an underlying citation. Citations are lost when using Find on a source. And often, scrolling through places is easier than filtering with Find

On Fri, Apr 21, 2017 at 9:54 PM, Ron Johnson <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

J. Allen Crider-2
Maybe there is another solution to your bug.  I never encountered a
problem with the way these dialogs worked prior to 4.2.4, but it now
takes as much as a minute for the Select People dialog to open for my
database compared to at most a few seconds before.  That is especially
annoying when entering census information using the Forms gramplet where
it can take five minutes or more to select all of the people for a
medium size family and over ten minutes for a large family.  Even the
Select Place dialog can take several seconds to open with nearly eleven
thousand places in my database.  I don't really like the quick fix for
selecting existing people because it doesn't open on the current person,
but it is still much faster to use than the way it has worked since
4.2.4 was released.

On 04/21/2017 08:54 PM, Ron Johnson wrote:

> It was changed in 4.2.4 because of a ER bug which I submitted, and I'd
> be mighty irked if People and Places reverted to "collapsed" in 4.2.5.
>
> How do I revert to expanded Source/citations?
>
> On 04/21/2017 08:35 PM, Dave Scheipers wrote:
>> The select existing places or person. The old default was a collapsed
>> hierarchy. This was changed in 4.2.4 to an automatic expanded list.
>> Source/citations were changed back in 4.2.5 but not so for selecting
>> existing people or places. The fix above makes all select existing
>> items display a collapsed hierarchy that can be manually expanded
>> where needed.
>>
>> On Fri, Apr 21, 2017 at 9:13 PM, Ron Johnson <[hidden email]
>> <mailto:[hidden email]>> wrote:
>>

>>     Are you referring to the Select Place window?
>>
>>     On 04/21/2017 05:19 PM, Dave Scheipers wrote:
>>>     Hi Martin.
>>>
>>>     I too have issues with this change that was requested and there
>>>     are bug fixes still open advocating a reversal.
>>>
>>>     Nick H posted a quick fix that works for me (4.2.5 on Win10)
>>>
>>>     You can edit line 56, in the gramps/gui/selectors/baseselector.py
>>>     file, change "expand=True" to "expand=False".
>>>
>>>     Copy the file baseselector.py to a temp location, edit the line,
>>>     then copy the file back to the original location. You may wish to
>>>     rename the original file (ie baseselector_ORIG.py) so you have
>>>     the original if there's an issue. PY files are simple text files
>>>     but I use the free Code Writer app to make the edit.
>>>
>>>     Hope this helps, Dave
>>>
>>>     On Fri, Apr 21, 2017 at 5:34 PM, Martnal
>>>     <[hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]>>
>>>     wrote:
>>>
>>>         Ever since I upgraded to version GrampsAIO64-4.2.5-1 I've had
>>>         a problem in
>>>         that I am unable to collapse places and people. I get this
>>>         problem when I
>>>         try to select a 'surrounded by' place, or to select people
>>>         for adding to a
>>>         relationship. They stay fully expanded.
>>>
>>>         Previously they were collapsed by default.
>>>
>>>         I can only select an entry by dragging the window slider.
>>>          This might be a feature but I don't think so.
>>>
>>>         Martin
>>>

> --
> World Peace Through Nuclear Pacification

I am using GrampsAIO64-5.0.0-1 on Windows 10.

Re: Unable to collapse places and people

Rich Lakey
I opened problem 9880 for this in January.  With 4.2.3 only the last surname used is open, the rest are closed. But apparently a feature request was made by one person to have all surnames open.  I question how Gramps developers decide if a feature is warranted by a request from just one person without a opinion of the general user base.  Anyhow the change was made in 4.2.4 . The patch that causes all surnames to open closed is not good for me as it doesn't leave me at the last surname used but at the beginning of the list. Still much slower for that reason. So I went back to 4.2.3 until this bug that was implemented in 4.2.4 is corrected. Hopefully they just put the 4.2.3 code back in place like it was.
Rich

[hidden email]> wrote:

    Are you referring to the Select Place window?

    On 04/21/2017 05:19 PM, Dave Scheipers wrote:
    Hi Martin.

    I too have issues with this change that was requested and there
    are bug fixes still open advocating a reversal.

    Nick H posted a quick fix that works for me (4.2.5 on Win10)

    You can edit line 56, in the gramps/gui/selectors/baseselector.py
    file, change "expand=True" to "expand=False".

    Copy the file baseselector.py to a temp location, edit the line,
    then copy the file back to the original location. You may wish to
    rename the original file (ie baseselector_ORIG.py) so you have
    the original if there's an issue. PY files are simple text files
    but I use the free Code Writer app to make the edit.

    Hope this helps, Dave

    On Fri, Apr 21, 2017 at 5:34 PM, Martnal
    <[hidden email] [hidden email]>
    wrote:

        Ever since I upgraded to version GrampsAIO64-4.2.5-1 I've had
        a problem in
        that I am unable to collapse places and people. I get this
        problem when I
        try to select a 'surrounded by' place, or to select people
        for adding to a
        relationship. They stay fully expanded.

        Previously they were collapsed by default.

        I can only select an entry by dragging the window slider.
         This might be a feature but I don't think so.

        Martin

Have you backed up your files today?

Re: Unable to collapse places and people

Dave Scheipers
Hi Rich,

I too question how/when a feature request is implemented when it changes an existing function. I opened reports (9700, 9814) on this issue and avoided 4.2.4. I now use 4.2.5 when it reversed the Source/Citation "fix". I rarely use the select Person feature and the select Place list was somewhat usable except when trying to find any place named Washington.

Have you tried the manual fix modifying the baseselctor.py file? It works and all selectors now open with a collapsed hierarchy.

Dave

    wrote:

        Ever since I upgraded to version GrampsAIO64-4.2.5-1 I've had
        a problem in
        that I am unable to collapse places and people. I get this
        problem when I
        try to select a 'surrounded by' place, or to select people
        for adding to a
        relationship. They stay fully expanded.

        Previously they were collapsed by default.

        I can only select an entry by dragging the window slider.
         This might be a feature but I don't think so.

        Martin

Have you backed up your files today?

Re: Unable to collapse places and people

Rich Lakey
I tried the patch Nick sent me.
At line 56, in the gramps/gui/selectors/baseselecor.py file, change
"expand=True" to "expand=False".
Is there another patch?
But it leaves all surnames closed and pointing at the beginning of the list. 4.2.3 leaves the last surname used expanded and pointing to the last person referenced so that the next person is usually close. Much quicker when doing a bunch of persons.
I don't have any pressing reason to use 4.2.5, will cross that bridge when it happens.
Rich

_________________________

On 23/04/17 16:40, Rich wrote:
> I question how Gramps developers decide if a feature is warranted by a
> request from just one person without a opinion of the general user base

Changes to the user interface are normally discussed on the development
list.  If the change is large, an enhancement proposal (GEPS) will also
be written.  In this case, I think the developer implementing the change
would have considered it to be minor. They almost certainly didn't
realise the performance implications for large databases.

https://gramps-project.org/wiki/index.php?title=Category:GEPS

Ultimately decisions are made by the administrators (Benny, Brian and
myself).  However, Benny and Brian are not currently active, so I will
only get them involved if I need advice.

Getting the opinions of the user base is an interesting idea. How do you
suggest we do this?

Re: Unable to collapse places and people

Rich Lakey
Nick, that is a good question. I suspect even if the request were published for a vote, I wouldn't know the implications of the change.  But it is worthy of thinking about. Perhaps it should take a second on the request before implementing it, or make it available for testing before committing to it. Is there no recourse to remove a feature if it is later determined to be more grief than it is worth? Perhaps other changes were made in the vicinity of this change that makes reverting back to 4.2.3 implementation not practical.  But in hind-site to give the user an option is another alternative.
I tested with 4.2.3 version of baseselector.py on 4.2.5 just to see. It worked several times and then crashed. So apparently there are other changes in the mix.
Maybe one of our bright people on this forum will have a good suggestion.
Rich

On 04/23/2017 01:56 PM, Nick Hall wrote:
On 23/04/17 16:40, Rich wrote:
[...]

Hi Nick,

First, Thank You for all you do making Gramps a great product.

I don't know what the solution is and I don't know if this issue is typical. Maybe one of the problems was the initial bug (8785) should have been a feature request because there was never anything wrong with the code. The user wanted the code to do something different.

I submitted my first bug (9700) because 4.2.4 was doing something vastly different than 4.2.3. I could never use 4.3.4 and I thought of abandoning Gramps as a result of the code change resulting from 8785.

The Gramps-Bugs mailing list seems to be underutilized. don't know how many subscribers compared to the user mailing list. Maybe if it were renamed to be the forum to explore new features, enhancements and the like. Maybe a list devoted to "What's Next" would draw more subscribers.

On this list issue, I've tried to offer ways to accommodate those wanting the expanded lists and those wanting the collapsed list. Additionally I've opined on other ways to enhance the lists. But in the bug tracker, you (the developers) only want one "fix" per report, which I understand. But if the issue were fleshed out via the mailing list, you'd have a much clearer picture of what's needed and wanted.

Would feature requests automatically link to this mailing list for discussion or who would post it? Maybe some feature requests are no-brainers that don't need user input?  Users posting their ideas on an issue via the forum seems to be a better idea than having everyone adding notes to the bug tracker list on any issue.

Don't know if any of this helps or even makes sense. Maybe others have other ideas.

Again, thank You for all you and the others have done making Gramps a useful tool, Dave

On Sun, Apr 23, 2017 at 2:56 PM, Nick Hall <[hidden email]> wrote:
On 23/04/17 16:40, Rich wrote:
> I question how Gramps developers decide if a feature is warranted by a
> request from just one person without a opinion of the general user base

Changes to the user interface are normally discussed on the development
list.  If the change is large, an enhancement proposal (GEPS) will also
be written.  In this case, I think the developer implementing the change
would have considered it to be minor. They almost certainly didn't
realise the performance implications for large databases.

https://gramps-project.org/wiki/index.php?title=Category:GEPS

Ultimately decisions are made by the administrators (Benny, Brian and
myself).  However, Benny and Brian are not currently active, so I will
only get them involved if I need advice.

Getting the opinions of the user base is an interesting idea. How do you
suggest we do this?

Re: Unable to collapse places and people

Doug-11
On 23/04/17 22:20, Dave Scheipers wrote:
[...]

<snip>

FWIW, I've usually (but I have to admit, not scrupulously) posted the mailing list together with a link to the issue number when I've submitted a feature request or reported a bug. Or referred back to mailing list posts when reporting an issue. Sometimes it's provoked comment, sometimes not. But when it has, it's usually led to a better approach to the issue.
Maybe it could be made more automatic.

Doug