Unable to find environment

Michel Vuijlsteke
First time this happens to me:

-30973, 'BDB0087 DB_RUNRECOVERY: Fatal error, run database recovery -- BDB1544 process-private: unable to find environment'

I did nothing special, the computer did not crash. I just tried to open Gramps this morning and it gave me this.

This is GrampsAIO64-4.2.5-1 on Windows 10, and https://gramps-project.org/wiki/index.php?title=Recover_corrupted_family_tree#Windows_OS is pretty unhelpful./

There's a link to download Oracle tools; according to Help > About I should get 6.1.0 (6,0,30), but the linked page tells me Berkeley DB 12cR1 (12.1.6.0.30) is no longer available for download.

The wiki then just says "...TO COMPLETE...".

Any ideas, anyone?

Michel

Re: Unable to find environment

enno
Op 7-4-2017 om 18:26 schreef Michel Vuijlsteke:

> First time this happens to me:
>
> -30973, 'BDB0087 DB_RUNRECOVERY: Fatal error, run database recovery --
> BDB1544 process-private: unable to find environment'
>
> I did nothing special, the computer did not crash. I just tried to
> open Gramps this morning and it gave me this.
>
> This is GrampsAIO64-4.2.5-1 on Windows 10, and
> https://gramps-project.org/wiki/index.php?title=Recover_corrupted_family_tree#Windows_OS
> is pretty unhelpful./
>
> There's a link to download Oracle tools; according to Help > About I
> should get 6.1.0 (6,0,30), but the linked page tells me Berkeley DB
> 12cR1 (12.1.6.0.30) is no longer available for download.
>
> The wiki then just says "...TO COMPLETE...".
>
> Any ideas, anyone?
Yes. Forget the Oracle tools. Start Gramps again, and close the error
window. You will then have a Gramps instance without a tree, and can try
the built-in repair from the Family Tree manager as shown here:

https://gramps-project.org/wiki/index.php?title=Database_Formats#Repairing_a_Corrupt_Database

If that fails, create a new tree, and import your latest backup.

regards,

Reloading Media

Oldest1
In an effort to embed some more descriptive metadata in some of my media files using XnViewMP, I am wondering how best to make Gramps (Win 4.2.5 AIO) to reload and display the data.
Among other things, Media verify seems to indicate that the file modified file is missing.

Presumably, modifying the metadata changes the file's MD5 digest and so I need to relink it to the proper place?

TIA for any comments.

Re: Reloading Media

On 04/07/2017 04:18 PM, [hidden email] wrote:
[snip]
Presumably, modifying the metadata changes the file's MD5 digest

Yup.

Re: Reloading Media

Any modification of the raw media file will create a different checksum which was set when the gramps media record was created. Media verify will not 'see" the raw file even though the media record shows that the raw file is there.

Running the Check and Repair tool says it is updating the checksums but you may still have to open the media link in the media record to reselect the file again before Media Verify says it's okay.

Hope this helps, Dave

On Fri, Apr 7, 2017 at 5:18 PM, <[hidden email]> wrote:
In an effort to embed some more descriptive metadata in some of my media files using XnViewMP, I am wondering how best to make Gramps (Win 4.2.5 AIO) to reload and display the data.
Among other things, Media verify seems to indicate that the file modified file is missing.

Presumably, modifying the metadata changes the file's MD5 digest and so I need to relink it to the proper place?

TIA for any comments.

Re: Unable to find environment

Josip
7.4.2017. u 18:26, Michel Vuijlsteke je napisao/la:

> First time this happens to me:
>
> -30973, 'BDB0087 DB_RUNRECOVERY: Fatal error, run database recovery --
> BDB1544 process-private: unable to find environment'
>
> I did nothing special, the computer did not crash. I just tried to open
> Gramps this morning and it gave me this.
>
> This is GrampsAIO64-4.2.5-1 on Windows 10, and
> https://gramps-project.org/wiki/index.php?title=Recover_corrupted_family_tree#Windows_OS
> is pretty unhelpful./
>
> There's a link to download Oracle tools; according to Help > About I should
> get 6.1.0 (6,0,30), but the linked page tells me Berkeley DB 12cR1
> (12.1.6.0.30) is no longer available for download.
>
> The wiki then just says "...TO COMPLETE...".
>
> Any ideas, anyone?
>
> Michel

Did you first make backup of database directory as advised in
https://gramps-project.org/wiki/index.php?title=Recover_corrupted_family_tree#What_to_do_now.3F

You can try to use db-tools from previous AIO64 versions (4.2.4, 4.2.3
etc), they are in theirs bin folder.

If you fail to recover it yourself or if recover miss to much data then
if you wish use bug-tracker to send data privately to developers to try
to recover them.

--
Josip

Re: Unable to find environment

Michel Vuijlsteke
I did make a backup of the corrupted data -- if you're interested I can zip it and send it over.

But I had a manual backup that was only a couple of days old, so I just redid a weekend's work. :)

Thanks anyway!

8.4.2017. u 15:41, Michel Vuijlsteke je napisao/la:

> I did make a backup of the corrupted data -- if you're interested I can zip
> it and send it over.
>
> But I had a manual backup that was only a couple of days old, so I just
> redid a weekend's work. :)
>
> Thanks anyway!
>
> On 8 April 2017 at 14:43, Josip <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> 7.4.2017. u 18:26, Michel Vuijlsteke je napisao/la:
>>> First time this happens to me:
>>>
>>> -30973, 'BDB0087 DB_RUNRECOVERY: Fatal error, run database recovery --
>>> BDB1544 process-private: unable to find environment'
>>>
>>> I did nothing special, the computer did not crash. I just tried to open
>>> Gramps this morning and it gave me this.
>>>
>>> This is GrampsAIO64-4.2.5-1 on Windows 10, and
>>> https://gramps-project.org/wiki/index.php?title=Recover_
>> corrupted_family_tree#Windows_OS
>>> is pretty unhelpful./
>>>
>>> There's a link to download Oracle tools; according to Help > About I
>> should
>>> get 6.1.0 (6,0,30), but the linked page tells me Berkeley DB 12cR1
>>> (12.1.6.0.30) is no longer available for download.
>>>
>>> The wiki then just says "...TO COMPLETE...".
>>>
>>> Any ideas, anyone?
>>>
>>> Michel
>>>

>> Did you first make backup of database directory as advised in
>> https://gramps-project.org/wiki/index.php?title=Recover_
>> corrupted_family_tree#What_to_do_now.3F
>>
>> You can try to use db-tools from previous AIO64 versions (4.2.4, 4.2.3
>> etc), they are in theirs bin folder.
>>
>> If you fail to recover it yourself or if recover miss to much data then
>> if you wish use bug-tracker to send data privately to developers to try
>> to recover them.
>>

>> --
>> Josip

If it is fine by you it is fine by as.