Uncollected Objects

Alan Heywood-Jones
What are the Uncollected Objects?  They do not seem to be related to a particular tree but rather to the database as a whole.  Sometimes when I try to refresh the list of these objects Gramps casts an error and advises me to quit and restart.

I am using GRAMPS: 4.2.4 // Python: 3.4.3 (default, Aug 16 2016, 18:17:24) // BSDDB: 5.3.0 (4, 8, 30) // LANG: en_GB.UTF-8 // OS: Darwin // Distribution: 15.6.0.

Best wishes
Alan

Re: Uncollected Objects

prculley
The Uncollected Object Plugin is a developer tool.  It is intended to list the low-level Python objects that are left around in memory and cannot be (easily) automatically deleted when they are no longer in use.  Developers use it to try to identify the source of memory 'leaks', which cause Gramps to continually use more and more memory, the longer it is used.

Because the tool is trying to display objects that might still be getting deleted, it sometimes has some trouble.  We should probably find a way to prevent its display/install unless in debug mode.

Paul C.