Unknown surnames

diannereuby
I've just installed the latest version of gramps, on Ubuntu 6.06 LTS,
and imported a Gedcom file from my fathers genealogy program.

I have several people with no known surname (family name), mostly wives
whose birth name is not known, or people from a long way back in the
family tree.

These all appear at the beginning of the People list, with dashes,
question marks, etc replacing the surname. How should I deal with these
entries in gramps?

TIA

Dianne Reuby

Re: Unknown surnames

Brad Rogers
On Tue, 01 May 2007 15:13:45 +0100
Dianne Reuby <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hello Dianne,

> These all appear at the beginning of the People list, with dashes,
> question marks, etc replacing the surname. How should I deal with
> these entries in gramps?

Entirely up to you, but what I do is use the married name, in brackets,
until I discover the birth name.

For example, James ROGERS' wife might be Mary (ROGERS) until I get
information from a marriage cert etc. which gives her maiden name as
HOGBEN.

Other use UNKNOWN as a name in this instance.  Unfortunately, that can
become quite a large family.  The advantage of using a married name is
that it's immediately obvious where abouts the person fits in your tree.

--
 Regards  _

Kill joy, bad guy, big talking, small fry
Death On Two Legs - Queen

Re: Unknown surnames

Johan Grönqvist
Dianne Reuby skrev:
> I have several people with no known surname (family name), mostly wives
> whose birth name is not known, or people from a long way back in the
> family tree.

I also have several people missing family names. They all have blank
family names, and appear at the top in the persons view. Most do have
names from their fathers, but no family name.

> These all appear at the beginning of the People list, with dashes,
> question marks, etc replacing the surname. How should I deal with these
> entries in gramps?

As all my persons in this category have the same family name (the empty
string, ""), I have them all appearing in one category, and I do not
find that annoying, as I have no suggestion where they should be placed
instead.

If they have different family names, and thus appear as different names
in the person view, I suggest they be given blank names so that they
only use one category.

Apart from that I can not help.

Johan

Re: Unknown surnames

Duncan Lithgow-2
On Tue, 2007-05-01 at 16:48 +0100, Brad Rogers wrote:

> On Tue, 01 May 2007 15:13:45 +0100
> Dianne Reuby <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hello Dianne,
>
> > These all appear at the beginning of the People list, with dashes,
> > question marks, etc replacing the surname. How should I deal with
> > these entries in gramps?
>
> Entirely up to you, but what I do is use the married name, in brackets,
> until I discover the birth name.
If I have any name I use it - just make sure the notes make clear where
the name is from.

Because of how they look in reports I've begun using [no record] for
missing name fields. I would rather that gramps reports did this
themselves for missing values - but so far I haven't managed to get this
to happen. The advantage of this is that a reader of a report can
understand it, whereas a blank field or even worse the 'unknown' text
which I've seen in the descendant report can cause problems with family
members who insist they know who the father is but won't tell anyone who
it is...

I've also more recently begun writing things like [son of Robert
William]. That brings other problems.

Duncan

Re: Unknown surnames

Brad Rogers
On Wed, 02 May 2007 08:49:01 +0200
Duncan Lithgow <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hello Duncan,

> > Entirely up to you, but what I do is use the married name, in
> > brackets, until I discover the birth name.
> If I have any name I use it - just make sure the notes make clear
> where the name is from.

Something I've been poor at, until recently, is making adequate use of
the Notes fields.  But certainly, this is a prime candidate for using
the Notes field.

> Because of how they look in reports I've begun using [no record] for
> missing name fields. I would rather that gramps reports did this

Something that, so far, has not occurred in my tree (no name, that
is).

> which I've seen in the descendant report can cause problems with
> family members who insist they know who the father is but won't tell
> anyone who it is...

I loathe that sort of attitude;

*I* know, but I'm not going to tell *you*.

It says to me that they _will_ tell me, but only after a suitable
amount of begging and ingratiating behaviour from me.  If they weren't
going to tell me, they would just keep quiet.

> I've also more recently begun writing things like [son of Robert
> William]. That brings other problems.

The only places on my tree where the father is unknown is illegitimate
children.  Of the three that I have, there's strong circumstantial
evidence to point to the father.  For the other two, so far, attempts
to locate a potential father have proved fruitless.

--
 Regards  _

Two sides to every story
Public Image - Public Image Ltd

Re: Unknown Surnames

David Rowell
A few months back there was a long discussion of this topic on alt.genealogy.  For a whole bunch of reasons the consensus was that unknown names should be entered as [--?--].  The double dash is the normal keyboard equivalent of the "em dash".  You might want to visit the archives and follow that thread.  There were a number of considerations that had never entered my mind so I spend an afternoon "fixing" all the unknown names, both family and given.

David Rowell - Gramps 2.2.6-1 on Ubuntu 7.04

Re: Unknown surnames

Jean Johnson

On 5/1/07, Dianne Reuby <[hidden email]> wrote:
I have several people with no known surname (family name), mostly wives
whose birth name is not known, or people from a long way back in the
family tree.

These all appear at the beginning of the People list, with dashes,
question marks, etc replacing the surname. How should I deal with these
entries in gramps?

Hello Dianne,
I do something similar to two other people who answered. Most of mine without a surname are wives. I list them as:

"Sarah w/o John" in the given name field with husband's last name in the surname field.

Most reports read a little stilted but understandable and better than if Unknown had been used. I like grouping them with their husband's family if I cannot group them with their own family much better than using Unknown.

Jean