Unofficial adoptions

diannereuby
My great-grandmother had ten of her own children, but still took in 3
other children who would otherwise have gone to the workhouse.

These children kept their own family names, but are listed on the 1901
and 1911 census returns as "adopted", although as far as I can tell they
weren't officially adopted as we would recognise now.

I'm trying to decide whether to include them - they're not related, but
I have photos of them, and my mother often spoke of them, so it seems
harsh not to. But some poor genealogist in the future may waste hours
searching for their adoption records, which I don't think will exist.

Anyone else dealt with this situation before, and how did you tackle it?

TIA
Dianne

Re: Unofficial adoptions

Ron Johnson
On 04/06/2013 01:03 PM, Dianne Reuby wrote:

> My great-grandmother had ten of her own children, but still took in 3
> other children who would otherwise have gone to the workhouse.
>
> These children kept their own family names, but are listed on the 1901
> and 1911 census returns as "adopted", although as far as I can tell they
> weren't officially adopted as we would recognise now.
>
> I'm trying to decide whether to include them - they're not related, but
> I have photos of them, and my mother often spoke of them, so it seems
> harsh not to. But some poor genealogist in the future may waste hours
> searching for their adoption records, which I don't think will exist.
>
> Anyone else dealt with this situation before, and how did you tackle it?

In the Child Reference Editor, you can set the Relationship To Mother as
"None" and put in the Note field how she came to have them.

--
"There are no solutions; there are only tradeoffs."
Thomas Sowell

Re: Unofficial adoptions

David L McMurray
Dianne,

Here's my personal solution. I added another option to the relationship list
called "Reared By" when the maternal grandparents took in my father and his
two siblings when his mother died a week after his birth. I used the term
"Reared" because of a quote by a school teacher of my fathers. She said,
"You raise corn, you rear children." That might be more of a southern US
term, though.

David

Re: Unofficial adoptions

Brad Rogers
On Sat, 06 Apr 2013 19:03:55 +0100
Dianne Reuby <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hello Dianne,

>These children kept their own family names, but are listed on the 1901
>and 1911 census returns as "adopted", although as far as I can tell they
>weren't officially adopted as we would recognise now.

At that time, they couldn't have been.  Legal adoption, as we know it
now, didn't come into being until 1927, IIRC(1).  Any arrangement prior
to then was purely an informal, private deal between parties involved.

As has been suggested, you can use "None" as parental relationship, or
make up one you find more suitable or less impersonal.

(1) To clarify; I'm talking about the UK only.  I have no idea what the
would have been in other jurisdictions.

--
 Regards  _
Loaded like a freight train flyin' like an aeroplane

Re: Unofficial adoptions

Martin Steer-2
On Sat, Apr 06, 2013 at 08:39:32PM +0100, Brad Rogers wrote:

>On Sat, 06 Apr 2013 19:03:55 +0100
>Dianne Reuby <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>Hello Dianne,
>
>>These children kept their own family names, but are listed on the 1901
>>and 1911 census returns as "adopted", although as far as I can tell they
>>weren't officially adopted as we would recognise now.
>
>At that time, they couldn't have been.  Legal adoption, as we know it
>now, didn't come into being until 1927, IIRC(1).  Any arrangement prior
>to then was purely an informal, private deal between parties involved.
>
>As has been suggested, you can use "None" as parental relationship, or
>make up one you find more suitable or less impersonal.
>
>(1) To clarify; I'm talking about the UK only.  I have no idea what the
>would have been in other jurisdictions.

I'd record the children as adopted, just as the sources do. The practice
of adoption is much older than our modern conventions.

Wikipedia has a very interesting article at:

<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adoption>

M.

Re: Unofficial adoptions

Brad Rogers
On Sun, 7 Apr 2013 17:20:12 +1000
Martin Steer <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hello Martin,

>I'd record the children as adopted, just as the sources do. The practice
>of adoption is much older than our modern conventions.

I don't disagree.  I simply wished to make the distinction between
informal (pre-legislation) and formal (i.e. post legislation) adoption.
Personally, I'd make some sort of distinction.

--
 Regards  _
We don't give a damn