Unstable 2.1.6 released

Don Allingham
Version 2.1.6 of the unstable development branch has been released and
is available for download at http://sf.net/project/gramps

We are slowly becoming more stable, and next week will probably be our
first beta release (2.1.90). That that point, we will start releasing
some packages.

Thanks to Jerome, who provided test case GEDCOMs from 28 different
programs. This helped us vastly improve the GEDCOM import in this
release.

Version 2.1.6

2.2 translations

Duncan Lithgow
With talk of betas comming out soon I thought I'd bring up translations.
Is there some kind of list of translators so they can be given a nudge
to see if they're interested for 2.2?

I'd personally love a timetable, and then I'll make a go of the Danish
translation. But I'd like to know if the text strings are stable yet,
especially those in the reports, which have changed a lot between 2.0
and 2.0.11

GRAMPS is so naturally a multilingual app, it'd be a shame to miss out
on any possible translations.

Duncan

PS. Does the release of a beta mean a feature freeze? I'm hopeless at
getting around to things without deadlines...

--
Linux user: 372812 | GPG key ID: 21A8C63A | http://lithgow-schmidt.dk

Re: 2.2 translations

Stefan Björk
> With talk of betas comming out soon I thought I'd bring up translations.
> Is there some kind of list of translators so they can be given a nudge
> to see if they're interested for 2.2?

I am the current maintainer for the swedish translation. Unfortunately,
I can not run 2.1 on my computer since I have an old distribution (FC3).
I can only run gramps 2.1 at the university, which I will not regularly
visit until fall 2007 (I will stay home with my son a year or so).

I will do my best to update the swedish translation, but do not count on
it.

Stefan

Re: 2.2 translations

Alex Roitman
Duncan,

On Tue, 2006-06-20 at 23:38 +0200, Duncan Lithgow wrote:
> With talk of betas comming out soon I thought I'd bring up translations.
> Is there some kind of list of translators so they can be given a nudge
> to see if they're interested for 2.2?

This list is also the one for translators.
There's no separate translator's list.

> I'd personally love a timetable, and then I'll make a go of the Danish
> translation. But I'd like to know if the text strings are stable yet,
> especially those in the reports, which have changed a lot between 2.0
> and 2.0.11

Nope, they're not stable as of know.

[snip]

> PS. Does the release of a beta mean a feature freeze? I'm hopeless at
> getting around to things without deadlines...

I personally won't start working on my translation until we have
released 2.1.95. The plan is to get 2.1.90 out within a week or so.
This will have packages, not just tarball like before. So we are
looking into fixing a lot of bugs after 2.1.90 and changing a lot
of strings.

Then we will do 2.1.95 and that will probably be a feature freeze.
Still the strings may change somewhat, where they're incorrect
or misleading, but not as fast and not as much as before.

Then there will be a 2.1.99 which will be a string freeze.
So any string changes will be strongly discouraged, unless
absolutely necessary.

Then we will do 2.2.0-rc1 and -rc2 and -rc3 and so on, until it
feels right to release. Maybe just -rc1 -- it will all depend
on how many bugs are found, and how soon.

As for the real time terms: We will try to do 2.1.90
by the end of June. Then probably a few more weeks until
2.1.95 and a couple more for 2.1.99. Then we will see.
Roughly, we should see 2.2 by the end of the summer, but this
is all flaky scheduling, don't take it too seriously :-)

My personal opinion is that 2.1.95 release is a good time
to start working on translation. 2.1.90 may be too unstable
yet, and 2.1.99 is too late. But this is personal: some people
like keeping it in sync through the unstable periods as well.
Do what you like, and we'll see how that goes.

Alex