Upgrading or downgrading?

GRAMPS - User mailing list
I recently did a major upgrade of  my linux (gentoo) machine. Gramps was among all programs that was updated. However, I didn't start gramps directly after the upgrade and now a few days later when I start gramps and try to load a database i get this message:

"The Family Tree you are tying to load is in the Bsddb version (6, 0, 30) format. This version of Gramps uses Bsddb version (5,3,28). So you are trying to load data created in a newer format into an older program, and this is bound to fail.
You should start your newer version of Gramps and make a backup of your Family Tree. You can then import this backup into this version of Gramps."

Now I'm really confused. I upgraded Gramps from an older version to a newer version 4.2.8. I can't remember exactly which version I upgraded from. The error message from gramps seems to indicate that I in fact downgraded gramps during the upgrade of my linux machine. Can that be case? Strange?

The about dialog in the new version say:

GRAMPS: 4.2.8
Python: 3.6.5 (default, Jun 19 2019, 04:33:19) [...
BSDDB: 6.2.4 (5, 3, 28)
LANG: en_US.UTF-8
OS: Linux

A few questions:
What version of gramps am I suppose to install to be able to read the database?

The version number in the error message seems to be the version number of the Berkeley Database used by gramps. Is the Berkeley Database version used fixed for every Gramps version? Is it possible that I upgraded the Gramps, but somehow downgraded the libraries for handling the Berkeley Database format?

Regards
/ Karl-Johan Karlsson

Re: Upgrading or downgrading?

prculley
The error message is about the BSDDB version.  It seems that the Gentoo Linux that you have recently installed came with an older version of BSDDB than was previously used with Gramps.

Possibly at some time in the previous installation of your machine the BSDDB had gotten upgraded.

If you want to open and use your database directly, you will have to find an update to the BSDDB  (6, 0, 30) or later.  Otherwise follow the instructions in the error message to make a backup XML from the current version of Gramps, then start a new tree (chose a new name) and import your backup file.  As long as you don't get errors in the creation of your backup, it is quite likely that no data will be lost.

Please don't attempt to make changes to your original tree with the older BSDDB you have now, writing to the database is very likely to cause issues that may not be recoverable.

P.S. Gramps is currently at version 5.0.1.
Paul C.

On Tue, Jul 16, 2019 at 5:41 AM karl-johan karlsson via Gramps-users <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Rich Lakey
I'm confused. I find it difficult to see how Gentoo degraded Bsddb with an upgrade. Did you install/ upgrade from Gentoo 20140826 to 20160514 ? Had you perhaps manually installed Gramps on your previous version?
I found the following blurb with little explanation:

'bsddb' module is out-of-date and no longer maintained inside dev-lang/python. 'bsddb' and 'dbhash' modules have been additionally removed in Python 3. A maintained alternative of 'bsddb3' module is provided by dev-python/bsddb3. Not sure what that means.
There are a bunch of topics (161) on the Gentoo forum referencing Bsddb. You might look and see if one references your problem and if there is a simple resolution.
Also one that references Gramps and BSDDB: https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-1092876-highlight-bsddb+gramps.html
Rich

On 16/07/2019 14:52, Ron Johnson wrote:
> Note also that v5.0 introduces SQLite as a database back end, which
> (if you convert your tree from BSDdb to SQLite) eliminates this class
> of problems.

and in v5.1 SQLite becomes the default database backend.