Upgrading (or installing) in Linux using the deb file

Upgrading (or installing) in Linux using the deb file

rcarlson

Recently there was some chat about upgrading Gramps in Linux using the downloadable deb files.

There are many wise people in this forum who know much more than I do but I thought I would share a few command lines that I use - in case it helps anyone.

Upgrading (read the backup warnings and see below)

1. Because I sometimes forget what I'm running, I use this:

    dpkg-query -s python3-gramps

that queries the package and gives you info about it.

2. If you are committed to an upgrade then:

    sudo dpkg -r python3-gramps

will remove the current gramps package (assuming its a python3 version)

3. If you are in the directory where you downloaded the latest deb file then:

    sudo dpkg -i python3-gramps_4.2.4_all.deb

will install the file "python3-gramps_4.2.2_all.deb" that you downloaded

4. To stop Ubuntu updating gramps for me I then run

    sudo apt-mark hold gramps

Upgrade is then complete.

Backups - please follow the standard backup advice
The other command line I run, from my home directory, is like this:

   tar -cvzf gramps_backup_30_Oct_2016.tar.gz ./.gramps

This creates a gz file (linux zip) of the whole gramps directory tree. I keep this alongside the "proper" XML backups.

Richard

Re: Upgrading (or installing) in Linux using the deb file

manzi.sam
CONTENTS DELETED
The author has deleted this message.