Usage question: Cloud Storage/Multiple Device access

Usage question: Cloud Storage/Multiple Device access

John Bissett
Hi:

Is is possible to store all GRAMPS data and configuration in cloud
storage such as Dropbox, OneDrive or Google disk?

The intent would be to run GRAMPS on multiple devices, ideally
simultaneously with access to a common set of Family Trees and media files.

Currently I am running GRAMPS AIO64 4.2.5 on Windows 10 64-bit and I am
guessing most of the data is being stored  in:

C:\Users\Owner\AppData\Roaming\gramps

This includes the thumbnails for the media files.

The only exception are the Media files themselves whose location can be
configured and I have placed at:

C:\Users\Owner\Pictures\GRAMPS Media

These could be put in the same sub-directory as the other data.
GRAMPS seems to have a database lock at the family tree level.  This is
fine as usually users would be working on different family trees.

Re: Usage question: Cloud Storage/Multiple Device access

John Bissett

Sorry I sent this prematurely.  I left out the last sentence.

On 2018-05-25 11:51 AM, John Bissett wrote:
Hi:

Is is possible to store all GRAMPS data and configuration in cloud storage such as Dropbox, OneDrive or Google disk?

The intent would be to run GRAMPS on multiple devices, ideally simultaneously with access to a common set of Family Trees and media files.

Currently I am running GRAMPS AIO64 4.2.5 on Windows 10 64-bit and I am guessing most of the data is being stored  in:

C:\Users\Owner\AppData\Roaming\gramps

This includes the thumbnails for the media files.

The only exception are the Media files themselves whose location can be configured and I have placed at:

C:\Users\Owner\Pictures\GRAMPS Media

These could be put in the same sub-directory as the other data.
GRAMPS seems to have a database lock at the family tree level.  This is fine as usually users would be working on different family trees.
I wonder if there are any other files or if there is any other problem with accessing the same data from different installations?

On 2018-05-25 11:51 AM, John Bissett wrote:
Hi:

Is is possible to store all GRAMPS data and configuration in cloud storage such as Dropbox, OneDrive or Google disk?

Yes, but.

The intent would be to run GRAMPS on multiple devices, ideally simultaneously

Definitely not.

with access to a common set of Family Trees and media files.

Currently I am running GRAMPS AIO64 4.2.5 on Windows 10 64-bit and I am guessing most of the data is being stored  in:

C:\Users\Owner\AppData\Roaming\gramps

This includes the thumbnails for the media files.

The only exception are the Media files themselves whose location can be configured and I have placed at:

C:\Users\Owner\Pictures\GRAMPS Media

These could be put in the same sub-directory as the other data.
GRAMPS seems to have a database lock at the family tree level.  This is fine as usually users would be working on different family trees.
I wonder if there are any other files or if there is any other problem with accessing the same data from different installations?

Gramps is not designed to be multi-user, and is very sensitive to the version of the underlying bsddb database engine.

Thus, this is not recommended, unless everyone is using the exact same version of Gramps on the exact same platform.  People who try it instantly get their databases corrupted.

This will be somewhat mitigated in v5 when using the SQLite database engine, since it's not sensitive to version.  Still, it'll only be single-user.

As of now, in v4.2, the only supported mechanism is to:
1. use a relative media path (which you should do anyway),
2. store a database backup (without media) in The Cloud, and
3. restore that to the local server you want to use.

Re: Usage question: Cloud Storage/Multiple Device access

John Paton
As one who has attempted to make my family tree available to myself on
both my desktop PC and my laptop via cloud storage, let me add my caveat
to this discussion.

I have exactly the same setup on both machines. The database is stored
in the cloud (Dropbox). I am the only user so never have the database
open on both machines at the same time.

AND nonetheless I managed to corrupt the database on both machines and
in the cloud by a simple misunderstanding of how cloud storage (or at
least Dropbox) works.

Dropbox creates a copy of your cloud stored data on each machine. When
you work on the data on one machine this does NOT NECESSARILY
immediately update the data in the cloud. You need to have and maintain
an internet connection until the update is complete.

As an example of how this causes problems: you are working on the laptop
at some location where you have no internet access. You find nice new
information and input this to gramps. This updates the LOCAL copy on the
laptop but because you have no internet connection the copy in the cloud
stays unchanged. You then shut down the laptop, go home, and open up the
file on the PC and the data does not include the changes made earlier.

So you are a bit puzzled and shut everything down. Dropbox then updates
the cloud storage with the NEW version of the data on the PC - NEW
because it now has a different timestamp - so now the version on the
laptop has an older timestamp than the version in the cloud and when you
switch on the laptop, now connected to the internet, Dropbox attempts to
reconcile the two versions according to their timestamps and in my
(bitter painful) experience you end up with 3 corrupted files and a
fervent hope that your last backup was made to an external device.

So even using Dropbox to maintain a continuous backup requires care to
be taken if accessing the data from more than one machine, even if it is
only yourself doing so.

(My description of how Dropbox works may not be technically correct but
the description above is certainly accurate as to the effect and results)

John Paton

Re: Usage question: Cloud Storage/Multiple Device access

Have you considered running off a thumbdrive with back-ups going to Dropbox? The Portable Apps version was pretty dated the last time I looked and needs to be re-visited.

I know that sneakernet is a pain compared to a Net-based storage. But if you keep it on your keychain, you should be able to keep track of if and you will have the current revision even with no net connection. (Of course, USB devices walk off and get corrupted... so maintain a rigorous backup regime.)

 Subject: Re: [Gramps-users] Usage question: Cloud Storage/Multiple Device access
 To: [hidden email]

Re: Usage question: Cloud Storage/Multiple Device access

John Paton
Oh I still use Dropbox in the same way. I am just *very* careful to
allow time for the 3 copies of the database to synchronise if I have
done any input off-site on the laptop, before I open the database on the
PC. This is fairly quick and requires merely that I switch the laptop on
as soon as I am home, or have a good internet connection, before
switching on the PC and opening gramps.

Thumb drive and external hard drive I use for backups. So even if I
repeat my previous error I will still have good data. (As, thankfully, I
had on the occasion on which I did corrupt everything)

If any of you out there don't already have a secure, physically separate
backup of your files - start gramps and make a backup now! You will
never regret having a backup - you will, at some time in the future,
regret not having one.

John

Re: Usage question: Cloud Storage/Multiple Device access

Peter Merchant
On 27/05/18 13:42, Emyoulation--- via Gramps-users wrote:
Have you considered running off a thumbdrive with back-ups going to Dropbox? The Portable Apps version was pretty dated the last time I looked and needs to be re-visited.

I know that sneakernet is a pain compared to a Net-based storage. But if you keep it on your keychain, you should be able to keep track of if and you will have the current revision even with no net connection. (Of course, USB devices walk off and get corrupted... so maintain a rigorous backup regime.)
On Sun, 5/27/18, John Paton [hidden email] wrote:

In dropbox I have a 'shared' folder. I have my Upstairs work computer and a Downstairs home/family computer and a laptop. All my Gramps work is done on my upstairs computer, but I put my backups into the shared folder. From here I can import them into Gramps on the other two computers where other people can look at them. Because of the manual steps involved in keeping the three computers equal I feel pretty safe.  Two of the computers are Kubuntu and the other is a 32bit xubuntu. All have the same version of Gramps.  I use the laptop away from home, but keep separate notes of anything I find that I want to add to the 'master' version.

Peter M.

Re: Usage question: Cloud Storage/Multiple Device access

Simon C. Tremblay
I do the Dropbox synching between 3 machines, my main desktop at home and two laptops. I've been doing itr for three years. I synch the media files and the databases. I'm running the same version of Gramps on all three Windows machines. Had to tweak the file paths to make it work. My solution does not synch the personnal settings like custom filters, views and plugins, because these are scattered in the program folder and the user folder hierarchy and I did not find the time to include it in my solution.  After all, I've got genealogical research to do.

So it can be done, just like running with scissors and juggling chainsaws, be careful:
- I take frequent backups;
- Before launching an instance of Gramps, I check the status of Dropbox and look for the most recent files to make sure my last changes are included in there;
- Then I pause the synch on Dropbox (It can create duplicate files if it synchs stuff while you're editing them);
- Once I'm done, I resume synching and wait until the Dropbox icon changes back to fully synched;
- If I'm not sure I restarted synching on machine A before accessing it from machine B, I don't. I open machine A and make sure synching was completed.

Again, like everyone says, do this at your own risks, it is not meant to be run like this, but it can work, if you're careful.

Simon

Re: Usage question: Cloud Storage/Multiple Device access

Suncatcher
Looks like DB backend I use is much more stable than all this mess that you describe, guys.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------ Check out the vibrant tech community on one of the world's most engaging tech sites, Slashdot.org! http://sdm.link/slashdot _______________________________________________ Gramps-users mailing list [hidden email] https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/gramps-users https://gramps-project.org

Re: Usage question: Cloud Storage/Multiple Device access

John Bissett
Thanks the following for your responses to my question.
Peter Merchant
John Paton
Emyoulation
Ron Johnson

All your comments were relevant and helpful.  However I may be should have been more explicit about the problem I am trying to solve.  My wife and I have a number of Family trees that we are working on:  my wife's,  my adoptive father;s, my known birth mother's,  my closest genetic match to my unknown birth father,  my next closest genetic match to my unknown birth father etc.  Both my wife and I are working on tracking down my birth father using genetic and conventional genealogical methods.  Right now we have two devices to work with, our Windows 10 desktop (with GRAMPS installed) and my wife's Android phone ( without GRAMPS of course).  So when she discovers something on the phone it often does not get entered into GRAMPS.  So I was wondering if I could get a Windows 10 tablet or laptop that could access the same GRAMPS data.  We would be both working with an internet connection usually at home.

I perhaps was reading too much into the family tree locking that occurs if I shutdown my desktop with out properly exiting GRAMPS.  I thought this meant that different users could safely use different family trees ( providing Dropbox synced properly and propagated the lock).

It seems I may have to think carefully about this.

On 05/27/2018 07:02 PM, John Bissett wrote:
[...]

Yes, different users can simultaneous access different trees.

Caveat emptor, though, and back up frequently.  (It's possible to write a batch script to back up a tree and add the current date and time to the name of the backup file.  That way, backups are easy, and you can quickly go back to an specific point in time.  No need to back up media, though...)

It seems I may have to think carefully about this.

Re: Usage question: Cloud Storage/Multiple Device access

Well... Here's an thought in keeping with my screen-name. Your could run Gramps on a hosted Linux or Windows virtual machine service. Some are dirt cheap (https://www.softsyshosting.com/low-cost-virtual-machines/ advertises $5/month, including backups.)

Since your PC, her phone and the hypothetical laptop would run simple terminal/screen emulations, she could add data from the phone too. (I've done that occasionally on my work application using GoToMyPC. Two thumb typing gets olds very quickly.)

In the meantime, see if she is willing to get in the habit of 'sharing' webpage URLs with good references to your eMail address. That's a phone browser feature I miss when surfing on my Windows laptop.

I've been considering trying out Linux and Gramps through a virtual machine.  I didn't want to dedicate the machine and deskspace to learning to install a new (to me) Operating System. And Gramps' primary development is on Linux. The Windows & Mac versions of Gramps naturally trail behind a bit. So it's a tempting option.

Eventually Gramps might be tweaked to run in a Read-Only database mode. (That's the stepping stone for a single-user database applications towards true multi-user capability.) That's more complicated that you might think and tedious work too. But Read-Only mode would we would to be able to distribute a locked down version of our trees on DVD.

-Brian (aka Emyoulation)

 To: [hidden email]

       On 2018-05-27 10:59 AM, Peter Merchant wrote:

       On 27/05/18 13:42,

 wrote:

[...]

 -----Inline Attachment Follows-----

Re: Usage question: Cloud Storage/Multiple Device access

Hello John,

If you want to work together, you can choose to run Gramps on some
hosted service, like someone else suggested, but it may be easier to use
some other program than Gramps, and put a tree on Ancestry.

When you do that, and switch off all on-line sharing for that tree, you
can edit that with the official Ancestry app, on Android, and with a
browser, so you get the best of both worlds.

A tree on Ancestry is less powerful than Gramps data wise, but I bet
that most genealogists won't notice much difference. So, for practical
purposes, I think it's a much better choice if cooperation is key.

Cheers,

Re: Usage question: Cloud Storage/Multiple Device access

John Bissett
Brian:

Thanks for your interesting suggestion.  That would solve  the problem.
I will have to check the service you linked to.  I am wondering if they
keep the OS patched or if I would have to do that myself?  I retired
about 2 years ago.  The last time I worked as a UNIX sys admin was 15 to
20 years ago. A lot has changed since then.   Before I retired I was
administering network backup systems backing up Linux/UNIX  and Windows
servers.  The servers collecting the backups  were either Solaris ( Sun
UNIX) supported by the company's sys admins or storage appliances with
modified Linux systems.  The appliance vendor supplied patch updates for
the OS along with the patches for the appliance software. So Linux would
be almost like a new OS for me too.

On 2018-05-28 9:48 PM, [hidden email] wrote:

> [...]
>         All my Gramps work is done on my upstairs
>   computer, but I
>         put my backups into the shared folder. From here I can
>   import them
>         into Gramps on the other two computers where other
>   people can look
>         at them. Because of the manual steps involved in
>   keeping the three
>         computers equal I feel pretty safe.  Two of the
>   computers are
>         Kubuntu and the other is a 32bit xubuntu. All have the
>   same
>         version of Gramps.  I use the laptop away from home,
>   but keep
>         separate notes of anything I find that I want to add
>   to the
>         'master' version.
>

>         Peter M.

>   -----Inline Attachment Follows-----

Re: Usage question: Cloud Storage/Multiple Device access

Though there are slightly differing techniques, for the past 10 years,
patching Linux has been easier than rolling of a log. (Unless you
purposefully choose old-school Slackware or Linux From Scratch, but hosting
services won't do that...)

On 05/28/2018 10:48 PM, Emyoulation--- via Gramps-users wrote:
> Well... Here's an thought in keeping with my screen-name. Your could run Gramps on a hosted Linux or Windows virtual machine service. Some are dirt cheap (https://www.softsyshosting.com/low-cost-virtual-machines/ advertises $5/month, including backups.)

This would be tempting if Windows VPS was $5/mo.  (Only Linux is $5/mo;
Windows is $10/mo.)