Use of tags in custom filters.

John W. Kitz-3
Hi,

I have a need to be able to easily indentify certain groups within the
individuals in my data.

Based on earlier posts by others on this email list I opted to use tags to
accomplish that, since I reasoned that this allows me to use a Custom filter
of the form 'People with the <tag> where Tag:="some value"' to identify
individuals within some group, while only having to tag a small number of
individuals (currently about half a dozen) as opposed to every individual in
my data.

I imagined that indentifying the remainder of the individuals could be
accomplished by applying either a filter of the form 'People with the <tag>
where Tag:="no value"', but this, quite unexpectedly, results in no
individuals being displayed at all.

I there something wrong with my reasoning, is there something I'm doing
wrong or is there a known issue with the logic that processes tagged
individuals?

Regards, Jk.

Re: Use of tags in custom filters.

Ron Johnson

I don't know about bsddb, but in many database engines, the value "" (string
of length 0) is different from <string does not exist>.

On 05/08/2017 05:48 AM, John W. Kitz wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I have a need to be able to easily indentify certain groups within the
> individuals in my data.
>
> Based on earlier posts by others on this email list I opted to use tags to
> accomplish that, since I reasoned that this allows me to use a Custom filter
> of the form 'People with the <tag> where Tag:="some value"' to identify
> individuals within some group, while only having to tag a small number of
> individuals (currently about half a dozen) as opposed to every individual in
> my data.
>
> I imagined that indentifying the remainder of the individuals could be
> accomplished by applying either a filter of the form 'People with the <tag>
> where Tag:="no value"', but this, quite unexpectedly, results in no
> individuals being displayed at all.
>
> I there something wrong with my reasoning, is there something I'm doing
> wrong or is there a known issue with the logic that processes tagged
> individuals?
>
> Regards, Jk.

Re: Use of tags in custom filters.

Hi John,

To select people that are NOT tagged you create the filter to select the people WITH the tag. And in the Define Filter screen check the box at the bottom "Return Values that do not match the filter rules".

If you have more than one tag and you want the people that are not tagged with any tag, the filter would  have a line for each of the tags, then in the Define Filter screen, select the drop-down option "At least one option must apply" and check the box "Return Values that do not match the filter rules".

So the basic idea is create a positive filter FOR something, then the check box selects the negative results.

I seem to start my computer shortly after you post your questions. I hope I am helping, Dave

On Mon, May 8, 2017 at 6:48 AM, John W. Kitz <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

paul womack
Ron Johnson wrote:

> I don't know about bsddb, but in many database engines, the value "" (string
> of length 0) is different from <string does not exist>.

And (worse) in some database engines they are the same.

SQL engines are not consistent with each other in this regard.

I have had the misfortune to run into this issue
professionally.

  BugBear

Re: Use of tags in custom filters.

Tom Hughes
On 08/05/17 13:42, paul womack wrote:
> Ron Johnson wrote:
>
>> I don't know about bsddb, but in many database engines, the value "" (string
>> of length 0) is different from <string does not exist>.
>
> And (worse) in some database engines they are the same.

I think it's pretty much only Oracle that is insane enough to treat
empty strings and nulls as the same...

Tom

--
Tom Hughes ([hidden email])
http://compton.nu/

Tom Hughes wrote:
> On 08/05/17 13:42, paul womack wrote:
>> Ron Johnson wrote:
>>
>>> I don't know about bsddb, but in many database engines, the value "" (string
>>> of length 0) is different from <string does not exist>.
>>
>> And (worse) in some database engines they are the same.
>
> I think it's pretty much only Oracle that is insane enough to treat empty strings and nulls as the same...

Another thing I encountered - Sybase represents an empty string by a string with a
single space (!!!!). They are (therefore) indistinguishable.

  BugBear

Ron Johnson wrote:

I don't know about bsddb, but in many database engines, the value "" (string
of length 0) is different from <string does not exist>.

And (worse) in some database engines they are the same.

I think it's pretty much only Oracle that is insane enough to treat empty strings and nulls as the same...

And not have scalar data types.

Another thing I encountered - Sybase represents an empty string by a string with a
single space (!!!!). They are (therefore) indistinguishable.

Wow, that's... bad.

On 08/05/17 13:31, Ron Johnson wrote:
> I don't know about bsddb, but in many database engines, the value "" (string
> of length 0) is different from <string does not exist>.

Tags are objects in Gramps.  A person contains a list of tag handles.

The rule will find the handle of a tag with an empty string as its
name.  Then it will match people with this tag handle.

It is not normally possible to create a tag with an empty name, although
I expect that by modifying Gramps XML you could do so.

Re: Use of tags in custom filters.

John W. Kitz-3
Dave,

On 2017-05-08 14:34, Dave Scheipers wrote:

> Hi John,
>
> To select people that are NOT tagged you create the filter to select
> the people WITH the tag. And in the Define Filter screen check the box
> at the bottom "Return Values that do not match the filter rules".
>
> If you have more than one tag and you want the people that are not
> tagged with any tag, the filter would  have a line for each of the
> tags, then in the Define Filter screen, select the drop-down option
> "At least one option must apply" and check the box "Return Values that
> do not match the filter rules".
>
> So the basic idea is create a positive filter FOR something, then the
> check box selects the negative results.

> I seem to start my computer shortly after you post your questions. I
> hope I am helping, Dave

Yep, I see what you mean now. Silly that I overlooked it.

Thanks and regards, Jk.