Uses for tags?

paul womack
It appears to me that tags are an important feature of Gramps.

But (at the moment) I have only come up with two effective uses for them.

I put a "todo" tag on notes that concern issues that need further work;
going to the notes view and filtering on the tag, and using a "references"
gramplet allows me to view and (sometimes :-( ) followup on unfinished business.

I also use a tag of "bookmark" to work round some navigational issues;
having merged 2 people (who turn out to be the same induividual),
some multiple events need merging; you probably have 2 birth events.
I tag the birth events with "bookmark" in via the Person editor/Event editor,
then switch views to Event, filter on bookmark, merge the events,
and remove the tag.

But tags must have uses other than these.

What sort of things are people with more imagination than me using tags for?

  BugBear

Re: Uses for tags?

Alain AUPEIX
Le 11/05/2016 10:47, paul womack a écrit :
What sort of things are people with more imagination than me using tags for?
As I use a single base for all my genealogy research, I use a tag to associate more people to a branch, for example parents of a man or a woman which isn't a direct ascendant, what is difficult to do with usual filters.

A point which isn't directly related to your question, but more to the fact that I have a few branch in the same base: could it be possible to set more than one root to easily change it ?

A+
--

Alain Aupeix
http://jujuland.pagesperso-orange.fr/

U.buntu 12.04 | G.ramps 3.4.9-1 | H.arbour 3.2.0dev (2016-04-20 16:03) | Hw.Gui 2.19-6 (2533)

Re: Uses for tags?

Gerhard Killesreiter

Re: Uses for tags?

Harvey Nimmo
On Wed, 2016-05-11 at 11:12 +0200, Alain Aupeix wrote:

> Le 11/05/2016 10:47, paul womack a écrit :
> > What sort of things are people with more imagination than me using
> > tags for?
> As I use a single base for all my genealogy research, I use a tag to
> associate more people to a branch, for example parents of a man or a
> woman which isn't a direct ascendant, what is difficult to do with
> usual filters.
>
> A point which isn't directly related to your question, but more to
> the fact that I have a few branch in the same base: could it be
> possible to set more than one root to easily change it ?

I would support this request. I also use one base for all 'my' people.
There are several independent (isolated) branches in the base,
containing people who may at some time become attached to the main
tree. I would welcome a feature to be able to navigate easily from one
'branch' to the other. Could this be a feature request?

Harvey

Re: Uses for tags?

paul womack
Harvey Nimmo wrote:

> I would support this request. I also use one base for all 'my' people.
> There are several independent (isolated) branches in the base,
> containing people who may at some time become attached to the main
> tree. I would welcome a feature to be able to navigate easily from one
> 'branch' to the other. Could this be a feature request?

A few points;

* I'm assuming by "base" you mean "database".

* An isolated set of people is not a branch, it's a tree in its own
right; you simply have more than one tree in your database; some
trees are bigger than others.

* One simple solution to your request is to bookmark
one induividual from each tree, and then click on them
in the bookmark menu.

* Could any further discussion of multiple trees
in a database please take place in a separate thread
from this "uses for tags" thread?

  BugBear

Re: Uses for tags?

Harvey Nimmo
On Wed, 2016-05-11 at 10:46 +0100, paul womack wrote:

> Harvey Nimmo wrote:
>

> > I would support this request. I also use one base for all 'my'
> > people.
> > There are several independent (isolated) branches in the base,
> > containing people who may at some time become attached to the main
> > tree. I would welcome a feature to be able to navigate easily from
> > one
> > 'branch' to the other. Could this be a feature request?
>
> A few points;
>
> * I'm assuming by "base" you mean "database".
>
> * An isolated set of people is not a branch, it's a tree in its own
> right; you simply have more than one tree in your database; some
> trees are bigger than others.
>
> * One simple solution to your request is to bookmark
> one induividual from each tree, and then click on them
> in the bookmark menu.
>
> * Could any further discussion of multiple trees
> in a database please take place in a separate thread
> from this "uses for tags" thread?
>
>   BugBear

You are right. I should have used the term 'tree' (which is what Gramps
calls the complete file) in which there are several isolated 'branches'
I can access any branch via bookmarks. The bookmark feature, however,
does not distinguish between people and their isolated branches.

Harvey

Re: Uses for tags?

lynches155

> Am 11.05.2016 um 10:47 schrieb paul womack:
>> What sort of things are people with more imagination than me using
>> tags for?
I tag people I want to research at a particular archive. It might be
years before I get there, but I'll have a handy list of what to look for.

Similarly, I have tags for people I want to check on websites that I
don't currently have a subscription for.

I use temporary tags when I am working on a newly-available source (for
example the 1939 register). I tag people I have already searched for in
the source, to avoid duplicating work. Eventually I delete the tag.

I tag people who are "weak links" in my tree, as a reminder to check
them from time to time.

I also use tags to avoid complicated filters.

Re: Uses for tags?

On 05/11/2016 04:28 AM, Gerhard Killesreiter wrote:
[snip]

> I use tags to:
>
> - - indicate individuals that became priests or elected representatives

There are event types for that.

> - - families were either children are missing or where I believe I have
> them all
> - - people who died without marrying
> - - families that apparently had no children

Good ideas!!

--
"I compare what the data tells me.  I don't do things by votes or authority."
Lawrence Krauss

Re: Uses for tags?

Gerhard Killesreiter

Re: Uses for tags?

On 05/11/2016 08:13 AM, Gerhard Killesreiter wrote:

> Am 11.05.2016 um 14:04 schrieb Ron Johnson:
>> On 05/11/2016 04:28 AM, Gerhard Killesreiter wrote: [snip]
>>
>>> I use tags to:
>>>
>>> - - indicate individuals that became priests or elected
>>> representatives
>> There are event types for that.
> True, but in most cases (at least for priests) I only have a rough
> idea for a date of ordination which somehow clashes with the idea of
> an event.

Gramps dates have ranges (BETWEEN  dd-aaa-yyyy AND dd-aaa-yyyy) and ABOUT.

Ron Johnson wrote:

> On 05/11/2016 08:13 AM, Gerhard Killesreiter wrote:
>> Am 11.05.2016 um 14:04 schrieb Ron Johnson:
>>> On 05/11/2016 04:28 AM, Gerhard Killesreiter wrote: [snip]

>>> There are event types for that.
>> True, but in most cases (at least for priests) I only have a rough
>> idea for a date of ordination which somehow clashes with the idea of
>> an event.
>
> Gramps dates have ranges (BETWEEN  dd-aaa-yyyy AND dd-aaa-yyyy) and ABOUT.

I have some truly approximate birth dates in my early period data, but
it doesn't stop me using a birth event!

  BugBear

Re: Uses for tags?

Gerhard Killesreiter

Re: Uses for tags?

sturdy
Interesting question.

 >>> But tags must have uses other than these. What sort of things are
people with more imagination than me using tags for?

I mainly use temporary tags extensively to assist in organizing the data
in my tree. Tags are especially handy when used in combination with
filters. For instance, I am currently working on citations without an
attached note or media (empty). All are tagged via filter but once
tagged I can refilter the tagged group by other criteria.

One wish is that partial groups of tagged objects could be removed in a
single operation instead of singly using the object editor.

sturdy2

Re: Uses for tags?

Dave Gilmore
Hi Paul,

On 5/11/2016 1:47 AM, paul womack wrote:
> What sort of things are people with more imagination than me using tags for?

My main focus right now is finding new, living family members and
getting us all connected. As such, I started a Facebook group where 90+
of us are members. I have all of them, and plenty of ancestors in my
tree as well. So, I have a tag called "Gilmore Facebook" when I want to
look at the Facebook members. Will do the same thing for my maternal
branch once I've got more of them in.

I for get who said it, but using tags to identify who needs to be
researched where is brilliant! I'm definitely using that one