Using Gramps for One Name Studies

davehamilton1948

I am considering using Gramps as the database for a One Name Study as I already have a starting point with persons in my current genealogy file.

However I have a question on process where some of my ONS sources such as US White Pages or shipping manifests indicate a relationships to others with the same surname at the same address (or ship). Unfortunately I don’t know what the true relationship is – are they siblings, cousins, parent and child or what?

So how do I record such a relationship in Gramps bearing in mind there could be many persons in that relationship? I am toying with the idea of creating a relationship having members (children) but no nominated parents. Has anyone a better idea?

Thanks in advance

Re: Using Gramps for One Name Studies

Peter Merchant
On 18/03/2019 04:58, [hidden email] wrote:

I am considering using Gramps as the database for a One Name Study as I already have a starting point with persons in my current genealogy file.

However I have a question on process where some of my ONS sources such as US White Pages or shipping manifests indicate a relationships to others with the same surname at the same address (or ship). Unfortunately I don’t know what the true relationship is – are they siblings, cousins, parent and child or what?

So how do I record such a relationship in Gramps bearing in mind there could be many persons in that relationship? I am toying with the idea of creating a relationship having members (children) but no nominated parents. Has anyone a better idea?

Thanks in advan

They are not relations until you find proof that they are. At the moment they are individuals with the same name who share the same place for a period. This is the research part of genealogy where you follow up on these people until you find more commonality.  It's the fun of the chase.

Good luck,

Peter M.

Re: Using Gramps for One Name Studies

StoltHD
How about just create an Event from the source, i.e. "immigration - Pas.list SS Norway", and then set custom relations for each person to that Event, that way you can easily change the relation to another custom relation type as you find new evidence... when you have evidence for them actually being family, you can make a family relation in the normal way...

In addition you can make any number of notes for each person in connected to the event on the event itself... in the notes you can also make internal hyperlinks to other people in you database if you want to...
and by having those notes tied to an Event, you will find all of them in the same place... you can of course also tie the notes to the people...
jaran

Den man. 18. mar. 2019 kl. 08:57 skrev Peter Merchant <[hidden email]>:
On 18/03/2019 04:58, [hidden email] wrote:

I am considering using Gramps as the database for a One Name Study as I already have a starting point with persons in my current genealogy file.

However I have a question on process where some of my ONS sources such as US White Pages or shipping manifests indicate a relationships to others with the same surname at the same address (or ship). Unfortunately I don’t know what the true relationship is – are they siblings, cousins, parent and child or what?

So how do I record such a relationship in Gramps bearing in mind there could be many persons in that relationship? I am toying with the idea of creating a relationship having members (children) but no nominated parents. Has anyone a better idea?

Thanks in advan

They are not relations until you find proof that they are. At the moment they are individuals with the same name who share the same place for a period. This is the research part of genealogy where you follow up on these people until you find more commonality.  It's the fun of the chase.

Good luck,

Peter M.

Re: Using Gramps for One Name Studies

Peter Merchant

> ... in the notes you can also make internal hyperlinks to other people in you database if you want to...

How do you do this?

Peter M.

Re: Using Gramps for One Name Studies

Dave Scheipers
Hi Peter

In the note, select the person (or text) then select the Link icon
(sweeping down arrow). Select the type of link, in this case Person,
then immediately to the right will be the select Icon bringing up the
list of individuals. Select the person and you're done.

You will notice that there are many types of links you can make
including external to the Internet.

HTH, Dave

On Mon, Mar 18, 2019 at 9:01 AM Peter Merchant
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> > ... in the notes you can also make internal hyperlinks to other people in you database if you want to...
> >
> How do you do this?
>
> Peter M.

Re: Using Gramps for One Name Studies

GRAMPS - User mailing list
Please note that these links are not 'editable' nor printable to RTF/PDF/paper.

The Notes text editor isn't like one on an HTML webpage --- where you can look at the source and see the markup that drives hidden stuff. (The links use internal handles/"primary key"s that aren't user-friendly anyway.)

Use linking with caution and always explicitly include some uniquely searchable information about the person that will print in a report.

On Mon, Mar 18, 2019 at 8:26, Dave Scheipers

<[hidden email]> wrote:

> > ... in the notes you can also make internal hyperlinks to other people in you database if you want to...
> >
> How do you do this?
>
> Peter M.

Re: Using Gramps for One Name Studies

Dave Scheipers
The links do work in the Narrated Website which is my go to option
when sharing the database with relatives. The links also work in the
Dynamic web.

I use it sparingly though. Linking people in an obituary is a lot of
work and these people are often immediately available to the main
person.  Maybe if it accepted drag-n-drop it would be easier and I
would use it more often.

Dave

On Mon, Mar 18, 2019 at 9:50 AM [hidden email]
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Please note that these links are not 'editable' nor printable to RTF/PDF/paper.
>
> The Notes text editor isn't like one on an HTML webpage --- where you can look at the source and see the markup that drives hidden stuff. (The links use internal handles/"primary key"s that aren't user-friendly anyway.)
>
> Use linking with caution and always explicitly include some uniquely searchable information about the person that will print in a report.
>

> On Mon, Mar 18, 2019 at 8:26, Dave Scheipers
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hi Peter
> In the note, select the person (or text) then select the Link icon
> (sweeping down arrow). Select the type of link, in this case Person,
> then immediately to the right will be the select Icon bringing up the
> list of individuals. Select the person and you're done.
>
> You will notice that there are many types of links you can make
> including external to the Internet.
>
> HTH, Dave
>
> On Mon, Mar 18, 2019 at 9:01 AM Peter Merchant
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >

> > > ... in the notes you can also make internal hyperlinks to other people in you database if you want to...
> > >
> > How do you do this?
> >
> > Peter M.

Re: Using Gramps for One Name Studies

GRAMPS - User mailing list
Dave,

Thanks for that information! Support of "Gramp item" link types in Narrated Website & Dynamic web will be an imoortant addition to the Link Editor section of the Wiki docs.

In reviewing that wiki documentation, I see my earlier caveat about finding links has a workaround. There is a Note Link Report for just that issue.

Brian

On Mon, Mar 18, 2019 at 10:52, Dave Scheipers
The links do work in the Narrated Website which is my go to option when sharing the database with relatives. The links also work in the Dynamic web.

I use it sparingly though. Linking people in an obituary is a lot of work and these people are often immediately available to the main person.  Maybe if it accepted drag-n-drop it would be easier and Ibwould use it more often.

<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Please note that these links are not 'editable' nor printable to RTF/PDF/paper.
>
> The Notes text editor isn't like one on an HTML webpage --- where you can look at the source and see the markup that drives hidden stuff. (The links use internal handles/"primary key"s that aren't user-friendly anyway.)
>
> Use linking with caution and always explicitly include some uniquely searchable information about the person that will print in a report.
>
> On Mon, Mar 18, 2019 at 8:26, Dave Scheipers
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hi Peter

> In the note, select the person (or text) then select the Link icon (sweeping down arrow). Select the type of link, in this case Person, then immediately to the right will be the select Icon bringing up the list of individuals. Select the person and you're done.
>
> You will notice that there are many types of links you can make including external to the Internet.
>
> HTH, Dave
>
> On Mon, Mar 18, 2019 at 9:01 AM Peter Merchant
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >

> > > ... in the notes you can also make internal hyperlinks to other people in you database if you want to...
> > >
> > How do you do this?
> >
> > Peter M.

Re: Using Gramps for One Name Studies

Dave Scheipers
If you are editing the wiki (and thank you for doing so), here is a
little more information.

The links in notes will jump to the person's record within the
Narrated and Dynamic web sites. Besides the external internet links,
the only other use of links I have used are to places and these links
will also jump to those pages.

FYI: I created an Introduction page narrative for the NarWeb and I
credit my maternal grandmother for getting me started with genealogy
and I linked to her. When I have created sites for a cousin on my
father's side, my maternal grandmother obviously is not included
however the link in the note remains. In this case the link is ignored
and where the link should exist the name is just underlined.

I hope this helps, Dave

On Mon, Mar 18, 2019 at 12:29 PM Emyoulation--- via Gramps-users
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Dave,
>
> Thanks for that information! Support of "Gramp item" link types in Narrated Website & Dynamic web will be an imoortant addition to the Link Editor section of the Wiki docs.
> https://www.gramps-project.org/wiki/index.php/Gramps_5.0_Wiki_Manual_-_Entering_and_editing_data:_detailed_-_part_2#Link_Editor
>

> In reviewing that wiki documentation, I see my earlier caveat about finding links has a workaround. There is a Note Link Report for just that issue.
> https://www.gramps-project.org/wiki/index.php/Gramps_5.0_Wiki_Manual_-_Reports_-_part_6#Note_Link_Report
>

> Brian
>

> On Mon, Mar 18, 2019 at 10:52, Dave Scheipers
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
> The links do work in the Narrated Website which is my go to option when sharing the database with relatives. The links also work in the Dynamic web.
>
> I use it sparingly though. Linking people in an obituary is a lot of work and these people are often immediately available to the main person.  Maybe if it accepted drag-n-drop it would be easier and Ibwould use it more often.
>
> Dave
>
> On Mon, Mar 18, 2019 at 9:50 AM [hidden email]
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > Please note that these links are not 'editable' nor printable to RTF/PDF/paper.
> >
> > The Notes text editor isn't like one on an HTML webpage --- where you can look at the source and see the markup that drives hidden stuff. (The links use internal handles/"primary key"s that aren't user-friendly anyway.)
> >
> > Use linking with caution and always explicitly include some uniquely searchable information about the person that will print in a report.
> >
> > On Mon, Mar 18, 2019 at 8:26, Dave Scheipers
> > <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > Hi Peter
> >
> > In the note, select the person (or text) then select the Link icon (sweeping down arrow). Select the type of link, in this case Person, then immediately to the right will be the select Icon bringing up the list of individuals. Select the person and you're done.
> >
> > You will notice that there are many types of links you can make including external to the Internet.
> >
> > HTH, Dave

> > > How do you do this?
> > >
> > > Peter M.

Re: Using Gramps for One Name Studies

davehamilton1948
Many thanks for the various suggestions. I think I will have a bit of a play
with different variations to determine which best suits.
Cheers
Dave