Using Gramps on Raspberry Pi

Brian Grawburg
Today I installed version 4.1 on a Raspberry Pi 3. I also had to install gir1.2-webkit-3.0 (it told me it was needed) to get up and running.
Used a backup I had from version 3.4.0-1 and it works fine.

This spring the museum I work for will be presenting a 1 day introduction to genealogy and we'll use several Raspberry Pis with GRAMPS installed.

Brian Grawburg
Wilson, NC

--
[This was sent from a PC running Debian 7, 64-bit Linux. No Microsoft products were used.]

Re: Using Gramps on Raspberry Pi

DS Blank
On Fri, Sep 23, 2016 at 10:57 AM, Grawburg <[hidden email]> wrote:
Today I installed version 4.1 on a Raspberry Pi 3. I also had to install gir1.2-webkit-3.0 (it told me it was needed) to get up and running.
Used a backup I had from version 3.4.0-1 and it works fine.

This spring the museum I work for will be presenting a 1 day introduction to genealogy and we'll use several Raspberry Pis with GRAMPS installed.

Brian, thanks for the note and additional details on installation. If you have any more info on your presentation, and it is open to the public, please let us know.

The Raspberry Pi is a nice little computer, and quite functional. Our local computer store sells laptop cases with monitor and trackpad that is just missing the Raspberry. Plug it in, and you have a fully functional laptop.

Have you tried the "Photo Tagging Gramplet" addon on the Pi? If you can use the cv2 (Computer Vision 2) Python library, then it has optional abilities to identify face regions in photos. The gramplet is very nice, even without auto-identifying of face regions regions.

-Doug

PS - Gramps is no longer considered to be an acronym, so you don't have to cap it :)

Brian Grawburg
Wilson, NC

--
[This was sent from a PC running Debian 7, 64-bit Linux. No Microsoft products were used.]

Re: Using Gramps on Raspberry Pi

On 09/23/2016 12:59 PM, Doug Blank wrote:
[snip]
The Raspberry Pi is a nice little computer, and quite functional. Our local computer store sells laptop cases with monitor and trackpad that is just missing the Raspberry. Plug it in, and you have a fully functional laptop.

Interesting.  All I see on Google, though, are DIY projects.  Do you remember a brand name?

On Fri, Sep 23, 2016 at 2:48 PM, Ron Johnson <[hidden email]> wrote:
On 09/23/2016 12:59 PM, Doug Blank wrote:
[snip]
The Raspberry Pi is a nice little computer, and quite functional. Our local computer store sells laptop cases with monitor and trackpad that is just missing the Raspberry. Plug it in, and you have a fully functional laptop.

Interesting.  All I see on Google, though, are DIY projects.  Do you remember a brand name?

I think this is it:

A little pricey, but nice option.

-Doug

Re: Using Gramps on Raspberry Pi

Brian Grawburg
I think I'd rather buy a used Thinkpad and put my favorite distro of Linux on it for that price. Even increasing the RAM to 8 GB will keep it under $30. :-)

The fact that a Pi 3 will run Gramps makes it perfect for our planned class in the spring.  I already have them here at the museum running a couple of applications -- one is being used for a desktop computer for someone who comes in once a week and only does Web searching. I will set one up sometime early next year attached to large monitor with Gramps showing my family tree.

At this time, the Pi is the only way I could see the difference between version 3.4 and 4.1. The newer version does not install on Debian Wheezy.

Subject: Re: [Gramps-users] Using Gramps on Raspberry Pi