Using Gramps with a "private" translation

Using Gramps with a "private" translation

Fabio Restante
Hi all,
I'm disturbing you because I need a little help with my "problem".

I actually don't like the italian translation used in the book, epsecially for the words related to the main facts of the persons in the tree. For example, it's used a verbal tense that we normally use for people lived more than 100 years ago, and in the book this tense is used also for kids...

Maybe I'm the only italian user with this problem, so I don't want to change the official translation actually used by Gramps. I'm used to work with the .po files, so I also downloaded the gTranslator program to modify my own it.po file according to my "feelings": is there any way to use Gramps with my "private" translation instead of the official it.po file?

I'm a Windows user, so please don't send me changing working only in Linus.

Thanks in advance.

Fabio Restante

--
E' bello che dove finiscono le mie dita
debba in qualche modo incominciare una chitarra

Fabrizio de Andre' - "Amico fragile"

Re: Using Gramps with a "private" translation

John Ralls-2

> On Nov 14, 2019, at 2:40 AM, Fabio Restante <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hi all,
> I'm disturbing you because I need a little help with my "problem".
>
> I actually don't like the italian translation used in the book, epsecially for the words related to the main facts of the persons in the tree. For example, it's used a verbal tense that we normally use for people lived more than 100 years ago, and in the book this tense is used also for kids...
>
> Maybe I'm the only italian user with this problem, so I don't want to change the official translation actually used by Gramps. I'm used to work with the .po files, so I also downloaded the gTranslator program to modify my own it.po file according to my "feelings": is there any way to use Gramps with my "private" translation instead of the official it.po file?
>
> I'm a Windows user, so please don't send me changing working only in Linus.

You'll need to compile your po file to mo using the msgfmt program that's part of gettext. https://www.boost.org/doc/libs/1_71_0/libs/locale/doc/html/gettext_for_windows.html has some suggestions for getting a windows copy of that tool; another one is to use the Windows Subsystem for Linux, https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/wsl/install-win10.

Once you have a msgfmt executable the conversion is simple:
  msgfmt -o gramps.mo it.po

Copy the new gramps.mo to c:\Program Files\GrampsAIO64\share\locale\it\LC_MESSAGES and restart gramps. You'll need administrator privs to do the copy.

Regards,
John Ralls

Re: Using Gramps with a "private" translation

Sveinn í Felli
Þann 14.11.2019 16:43, skrifaði John Ralls:

>> On Nov 14, 2019, at 2:40 AM, Fabio Restante <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Hi all,
>> I'm disturbing you because I need a little help with my "problem".
>>
>> I actually don't like the italian translation used in the book, epsecially for the words related to the main facts of the persons in the tree. For example, it's used a verbal tense that we normally use for people lived more than 100 years ago, and in the book this tense is used also for kids...
>>
>> Maybe I'm the only italian user with this problem, so I don't want to change the official translation actually used by Gramps. I'm used to work with the .po files, so I also downloaded the gTranslator program to modify my own it.po file according to my "feelings": is there any way to use Gramps with my "private" translation instead of the official it.po file?
>>
>> I'm a Windows user, so please don't send me changing working only in Linus.
>
> You'll need to compile your po file to mo using the msgfmt program that's part of gettext. https://www.boost.org/doc/libs/1_71_0/libs/locale/doc/html/gettext_for_windows.html has some suggestions for getting a windows copy of that tool; another one is to use the Windows Subsystem for Linux, https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/wsl/install-win10.
>
> Once you have a msgfmt executable the conversion is simple:
>    msgfmt -o gramps.mo it.po
>
> Copy the new gramps.mo to c:\Program Files\GrampsAIO64\share\locale\it\LC_MESSAGES and restart gramps. You'll need administrator privs to do the copy.
>
> Regards,
> John Ralls

The process above is what I do all the time while translating Gramps.
But beware of two things; you need to be translating the same version of
Grams as is installed on your computer; and if you upgrade Gramps, your
copy of gramps.mo will be overwritten.

Best regards,
Sveinn í Felli

Re: Using Gramps with a "private" translation

Fabio Restante
Hi John,
thanks a lot, I'll check it out as soon as possible.

Fabio