Using Places in v4.1.3

zed

Using Places in v4.1.3

zed
Using Gramps v4.1.3-1 on Linux Mint v18.2 Nate.

I found the videos cereated by Richard Southern very helpful and am at
present following the steps he outlines in the one entitled "Using Places
in v4.1.3" but my results are not the same as his and I cannot understand
why.

He creates a hierarchy of

Country: UK
County: County Durham
Town: Yarrow
Street: Dover Street

and end up with the Country being the main and all others stepping down
from that

UK
    -County Durham
        - Yarrow
            -Dover Street.

I end up with four main folders in alphabetical order

Broad Road
Kent
Swanscombe
UK

and cannot see what I am doing wrong.

I chose to use v4.1.3, specifically so that I could follow the video and
expected the same results.

I am sure there is a simple explanatin and would be delighted for a member
to tell me which step I've missed out, please

zed
--
zed
Divorce, n. The past tense of marriage

Re: Using Places in v4.1.3

Dave Scheipers
Hi Zed,

Not sure which of two issues may be causing your confusion.

There are two views available to work with your place records. Places which is a flat list with the default sort being the first field in the list.

The second view is the Place Tree which will show the Hierarchy of places. The hierarchy is established when the smaller location is "Enclosed By" the higher location. So in your example, Darrow Street is enclosed by Yarrow, Yarrow is enclosed by County Durham, which is enclosed by UK.

So if you select the Place Tree view, and the list of places do not show nested below the larger place you will need to check their "enclosed by" records.

Maybe when you first added the places, you added UK as the country. But when you added the county, your courser may not have been on UK as the active record. If there is "No Active Record" selected, when you add a new place record, the enclosed by tab will be blank and you need to manually add a place under the enclosed by tab (if one is needed). If you are "on" a record, when you add a new record, the record you are "on" will automatically be included in the enclosed by tab.

I hope this helps, Dave

On Sun, Jun 18, 2017 at 11:50 PM, zed <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

zed

Re: Using Places in v4.1.3

zed
Hi Dave

Thank you for  your prompt reply.  My apologies for the delay in
responding.

Dave Scheipers <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi Zed,
>
> Not sure which of two issues may be causing your confusion.
>
> There are two views available to work with your place records. Places
> which is a flat list with the default sort being the first field in the
> list.
[snip]

Yes, it was a basic error, I had my cursor in the flat list :-(  I really
should have been more observant when watching the video.

So, I am progressing and have many place names entered.  However, I wish
to make an amendment.  Let me explain.  At present the head place is a
country, followed by a county, town, street, number. (England, Kent,
Swanscombe, Broad Road, 5)  I now want to show that England is part of the
UK.  I've tried creating UK which, of course is simple, but can find no
way to link it to England, so that, in the example given I woud have UK,
England, Kent, Swanscombe, Broad Road, 5 and magically every place entered
with England would be updated to reflect this.

Is this possible?

Regards from New Zealand on a very cool autumn morning.

Zed
--
zed
I never made a mistake in my life. I thought I did once, but I was wrong.

Re: Using Places in v4.1.3

Dave Scheipers
Hi Zed

The easiest way is to open the record for England, going to the Enclosed By tab and Adding a new place record for United Kingdom. Adding the date information will cause the place name generator to only add UK for the correct time period. Same is true if you want to Add an enclosed by record for Great Britain. If an event date is earlier than GB or UK, the place name propagation will stop at England. Then you can edit Wales and Scotland etc and add GB and UK to their records with their appropriate time periods.

Rereading your post let me break it down to the enclosed by tab functions.

Keeping England as a example, under the enclosed by tab, there are the standard manipulation buttons.
Add (add a new record not already in your database), Share (call up the place name list of existing places to select), Edit the record already added, Remove and change the list order up and down. These are the same that you find throughout Gramps.

So If you have already added UK, then select the share option, select the UK record and it is added. England is now enclosed by UK. Or, open the England record, select the Enclosed by Tab, and the go to your list of place records and Drag-n-Drop UK into the tab.

When viewing your place list in the Tree view, a place record will sort according to the First Enclosed By record. For this reason, I always list my Enclosed By records with the most recent as the first record.

On a side note, when I added New Zealand (and Australia) to my database, I was torn about adding their UK/GB heritage under the appropriate time periods. So far I have left them as just New Zealand and Australia with no enclosed by records to UK/GB. What are you planning to do?

Hope this helps, Dave (on a warm early summer night)

On Sun, Jun 25, 2017 at 4:01 PM, zed <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi Dave

Thank you for  your prompt reply.  My apologies for the delay in
responding.

Dave Scheipers <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi Zed,
>
> Not sure which of two issues may be causing your confusion.
>
> There are two views available to work with your place records. Places
> which is a flat list with the default sort being the first field in the
> list.
[snip]

Yes, it was a basic error, I had my cursor in the flat list :-(  I really
should have been more observant when watching the video.

So, I am progressing and have many place names entered.  However, I wish
to make an amendment.  Let me explain.  At present the head place is a
country, followed by a county, town, street, number. (England, Kent,
Swanscombe, Broad Road, 5)  I now want to show that England is part of the
UK.  I've tried creating UK which, of course is simple, but can find no
way to link it to England, so that, in the example given I woud have UK,
England, Kent, Swanscombe, Broad Road, 5 and magically every place entered
with England would be updated to reflect this.

Is this possible?

Regards from New Zealand on a very cool autumn morning.

Zed
--
zed
I never made a mistake in my life. I thought I did once, but I was wrong.

Re: Using Places in v4.1.3

John W. Kitz-3
Zed,

On 2017-06-25 22:01, zed wrote:

> So, I am progressing and have many place names entered.  However, I
> wish
> to make an amendment.  Let me explain.  At present the head place is a
> country, followed by a county, town, street, number. (England, Kent,
> Swanscombe, Broad Road, 5)  I now want to show that England is part of
> the
> UK.  I've tried creating UK which, of course is simple, but can find no
> way to link it to England, so that, in the example given I woud have
> UK,
> England, Kent, Swanscombe, Broad Road, 5 and magically every place
> entered
> with England would be updated to reflect this.
>
> Is this possible?

Double click the first place in your hierarchy you'd like to ammend,
i.e. the UK, then click enclosed by, then below it click the icon to the
right of the plus sign, then select the UK from the list and click OK
three times and you should be done.

> Regards from New Zealand on a very cool autumn morning.
>
> Zed

Regards, Jk.

zed

Re: Using Places in v4.1.3

zed
Hi Dave

Thank you once again.  Your blood is worth bottling!

Dave Scheipers <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Rereading your post let me break it down to the enclosed by tab
> functions.
>
> Keeping England as a example, under the enclosed by tab, there are the
> standard manipulation buttons. Add (add a new record not already in your
> database), Share (call up the place name list of existing places to
> select), Edit the record already added, Remove and change the list order
> up and down. These are the same that you find throughout Gramps.
[snip]

Worked perfectly!  I had visions of having to amend each record
individually.

I am quite a new user of Gramps.  Ever since I started putting my
genealogical records on computer I have used a Windows program, and since
it was released I have used Family Historian.  It is an excellent
application  but as it is the only Windows program I now use, I thought it
about time I weaned myself off it and be completely Windows free!

Now to learn how to used Sources and Citations!

It's now coming up to midday on a sunny but cool Monday.

Again, thank you for your help.  Both of your emails have been saved to my
Gramps Notes folder.

Zed

--
zed
Boy: A noise with dirt on it.

zed

Re: Using Places in v4.1.3

zed
Hi again

Dave Scheipers <[hidden email]> wrote:

[snip]

Somehow I missed seeing  the following paragraph.  Old age is not
"creeping on" it has broken into a gallop :-(

> On a side note, when I added New Zealand (and Australia) to my database,
> I was torn about adding their UK/GB heritage under the appropriate time
> periods. So far I have left them as just New Zealand and Australia with
> no enclosed by records to UK/GB. What are you planning to do?

I too have Australian and New Zealand connections but have never thought
of adding UK/GB to the records. Have no current plans to make the addition
but now you have reminded me that they were part of the UK, I will have to
make a decision, some time!

Zed
--
zed
COMPUTER LITERACY? You mean my computer can READ?!

zed

Re: Using Places in v4.1.3

zed
"John W. Kitz" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Zed,
>
> On 2017-06-25 22:01, zed wrote:
>
> > So, I am progressing and have many place names entered.  However, I
> > wish to make an amendment.  Let me explain.  At present the head place
> > is a country, followed by a county, town, street, number. (England,
> > Kent, Swanscombe, Broad Road, 5)  I now want to show that England is
> > part of the UK.  I've tried creating UK which, of course is simple,
> > but can find no way to link it to England, so that, in the example
> > given I woud have UK, England, Kent, Swanscombe, Broad Road, 5 and
> > magically every place entered with England would be updated to reflect
> > this.
> >
> > Is this possible?
>
> Double click the first place in your hierarchy you'd like to ammend,
> i.e. the UK, then click enclosed by, then below it click the icon to the
> right of the plus sign, then select the UK from the list and click OK
> three times and you should be done.

Thanks, John.  This, too, has been added to my Gramps Note file.

Zed
--
zed
Dogs think they are human.  Cats believe they are God

Re: Using Places in v4.1.3

John Paton

I *think* that technically none of 'the Dominions' were ever part of the UK which is the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland. Rather they, as was the UK, were part of the British Empire and are now part of the British Commonwealth (except for those who have completely thrown off the shackles :) of British Imperialism).

So if anyone wishes to show the heritage of British rule on their database then the simplest way might be to create two new 'places' - eg British Empire and British Commonwealth (or something) with appropriate dates and then enclose etc etc.

I am not trying to be pedantic here - merely trying to help.

John

--
Sent from my laptop.

Re: Using Places in v4.1.3

John W. Kitz-3
All,

On 2017-06-26 09:16, John Paton wrote:
> I *think* that technically none of 'the Dominions' were ever part of
> the UK which is the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern
> Ireland.

See
http://webarchive.nationalarchives.gov.uk/20080909013512/http://www.number10.gov.uk/Page823.

> Rather they, as was the UK, were part of the British Empire
> and are now part of the British Commonwealth (except for those who
> have completely thrown off the shackles :) of British Imperialism).
>
> So if anyone wishes to show the heritage of British rule on their
> database then the simplest way might be to create two new 'places' -
> eg British Empire and British Commonwealth (or something) with
> appropriate dates and then enclose etc etc.
>
> I am not trying to be pedantic here - merely trying to help.
>
> John
> --
> SENT FROM MY LAPTOP.

Regards, Jk.