Using openstreep map on narrative website report

Using openstreep map on narrative website report

sophie1975
Hello,

I am pretty a newbie in gramps and I have a question concerning
openstreetmap and updating report plugins.
I use the narrative website report. A few weeks ago, I noticed that
longitude did not work anymore (the map frame was just empty and this
was reproducible for all places with coordinates and in all browsers,
regardless of https or http). I did some research and finally found out
that the files place.py and person.py files of this report contain a
hard coded link to an openlayer service (ol.js and css) (eg.
"openlayers.org/en/v3.17.1/build/ol.js") with an older release version
that seems not be available anymore. So I tried to replace those with
links to the newest version recommended by the openlayer homepage and it
worked. The maps are loaded again.

My question is: I suppose patching the py-files on my own are not the
clean way to fix my problem. Is there some way to update the webreport
to get an up to date reference to those services? Do I have to update
reports separately from GRAMPS? I use the common update feature and I am
using GrampsAIO64-5.0.0-1.
Or did I miss some information about what to do when updating to 5.0.0.1?

It seems that no one had the same problem because I did not find any
forum discussing this question.

Thanks in advance for giving me advice on the best practice here.
Kind regards
Nathalie

Re: Using openstreep map on narrative website report

prculley
Thank you for this report.

I've forwarded your message to the person most likely to be able to fix it easily.  I suspect that the fix will require a new release of Gramps, since the code in question is a part of Gramps, rather than an addon that can be updated a bit more quickly.  So, no, there is no method to get this quickly updated.

In the future, please submit this sort of thing to the Gramps bug tracker https://gramps-project.org/bugs/bug_report_page.php
This allows us to track these issues and makes it more likely that we will spot them (not everyone monitors all the email lists).

P.S.  Do you have the updated links you used?  That might save the developer a bit of work...

Paul C.

On Thu, Nov 15, 2018 at 8:01 AM sophie1975 <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

J. Allen Crider-2
I can see that I'm going to have to start reviewing my web site more
often.  I usually update it at least two to three times per month, but
due to the size of it, I rarely check more than a few pages if I make
time to do that.  I don't know how long it took me to realize that
Google maps were no longer working without an API key.

It didn't take me long to find the problem with shared events in 5.0.0
as when I do check pages, I usually check at least one page for a person
with shared census events, although that turned out to be a general
reporting problem that also affected several other reports, so I will be
waiting for the next release for that fix.

But in the last week or so, I've learned through this list that the
relationship to the center person was being reported on some pages and
that OpenStreetMap no longer works.  I had been in the habit of not
changing the active person to anyone other than the person I was
currently working on because I didn't realize that it affected the
narrative web report in any way.  Now I try to remember to change the
active person to myself or another living person so that the
relationship to the center person won't be reported.  Now I have to
decide whether to attempt to patch the OpenStreetMap problem or stop
generating maps until the next release.  I'll probably go with the
latter until I have more time to work on it.

Allen Crider

On 11/15/18 8:00 AM, sophie1975 wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I am pretty a newbie in gramps and I have a question concerning
> openstreetmap and updating report plugins.
> I use the narrative website report. A few weeks ago, I noticed that
> longitude did not work anymore (the map frame was just empty and this
> was reproducible for all places with coordinates and in all browsers,
> regardless of https or http). I did some research and finally found out
> that the files place.py and person.py files of this report contain a
> hard coded link to an openlayer service (ol.js and css) (eg.
> "openlayers.org/en/v3.17.1/build/ol.js") with an older release version
> that seems not be available anymore. So I tried to replace those with
> links to the newest version recommended by the openlayer homepage and it
> worked. The maps are loaded again.
>
> My question is: I suppose patching the py-files on my own are not the
> clean way to fix my problem. Is there some way to update the webreport
> to get an up to date reference to those services? Do I have to update
> reports separately from GRAMPS? I use the common update feature and I am
> using GrampsAIO64-5.0.0-1.
> Or did I miss some information about what to do when updating to 5.0.0.1?
>
> It seems that no one had the same problem because I did not find any
> forum discussing this question.
>
> Thanks in advance for giving me advice on the best practice here.
> Kind regards
> Nathalie

Re: Using openstreep map on narrative website report

Melissa Brooks
Hi All
I've just run into this issue, I couldn't spot this in the bugs list (may have breezed past it) should I log it on behalf?  otherwise in the mean time, what was the last version of openlayers  I can use in my dwr_start,js file for now?(or full links please)

Cheers
Melissa

On Fri, Nov 16, 2018 at 4:32 AM Paul Culley <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Awesome thanks Sam!

On Sat, Dec 29, 2018 at 7:14 PM Sam Manzi <[hidden email]> wrote:

The current Gramps 5.0.1 release has the fix[2] for this.

[2] 10884: Narrative web: Openstreetmap doesn't work anymor