Using sources and repositories

Prodoc
Hi,

By reading the pages in the wiki about sources and repositories [1][2] I understand the concept of the two. The problem is that I can't quite figure out how to apply the concept. I hope you can explain it a bit to me.

In the concept of sources and repositories I've got a source, the physical archive containing birth, death and marriage certificates. Next to this I've got a repository, a website which publishes these certificates online.

Suppose I've found a marriage certificate on the website, containing lots of info like the two people who got married, their birth places and both the parents of the two. This means that the one page displaying the certificate can act as 'proof' for multiple relations (the marriage itself, where each of the two was born and how I know who the parent where). How do I apply this to each of those relations?

In the 'Event Reference Editor' of e.g. the marriage I can select the source (the physical archive) on the 'Sources' tab. In the appearing 'Source Reference Editor' I select the online repository on the 'Repositories' tab. I select the appropriate 'Media Type' and provide the URL to the certificate as the 'Call Number'.
This is all nice and well but if I do the same for a completely different certificate for a completely different relation (using the same source and repository) that new URL will appear in the 'Repositories' tab of the previous relation(s) as well. If you have loads of links added to the same repository you would still have a hard time finding the 'proof' for a specific relation back again.

Is this a limitation of GRAMPS or am I using the source/repository concept in a wrong way? If the latter is the case, how should it be used?

For the moment I am 'abusing' the sources to kind of get what I want. I create a source for each certificate and specify the URL as a the 'Volume/Page'. This method, however, forces me to supply the same URL for each new relation using the same certificate.

Yours,

Age Bosma

[1] http://www.gramps-project.org/wiki/index.php?title=Sources_in_GRAMPS
[2] http://www.gramps-project.org/wiki/index.php?title=Repositories_in_GRAMPS

Re: Using sources and repositories

Prodoc
Prodoc81 wrote
For the moment I am 'abusing' the sources to kind of get what I want. I create a source for each certificate and specify the URL as a the 'Volume/Page'. This method, however, forces me to supply the same URL for each new relation using the same certificate.
Off the list one explained to me the use of the clipboard function to be able to use the same source reference for e.g. multiple events (drag source to clipboard from one event to a seconds event from the clipboard). This at least reduces the need to supply the same URL at each event using the same source of the workaround mentioned above.

So I could continue creating a new source for each link to a specific certificate. It does, however, make me wonder what the intent of repositories in GRAMPS is. When would you use it, how is it used now and how does it still serve a purpose when using the same source and repository for e.g. multiple events (considering the case mentioned in my previous e-mail)?

Yours,

Age

Re: Using sources and repositories

Gerald Britton-2
Gramps supports the gedcom REPO tag through repositories, but more generally:

Repositories are used to specify where a source is located.  Picture a
library building.  Inside the library is a book.  Inside the book is a
page containing vital information on your family.

The book is your source.  The page number is the source reference.
The library is the repository.  The call number is the number you give
the librarian to get the book for you.

Now, how does this work in cyberspace?  Well, here's how I do it:

I have repositories like:

http://archive.org
http://www.collectionscanada.gc.ca
http://books.google.ca

I have sources in those repositories that may be specific books,
microfilms, censi, etc.

If I discover that my aunt was polled during the 1911 census of
Canada, I create a census event for her.  My source is the 1911
census, which is found at Collections Canada (2nd url above).  The
"call number" is the url for the start page for the census:

http://www.collectionscanada.gc.ca/databases/census-1911/index-e.html

The source reference contains the information I need to locate my aunt
in the census:

District, sub-district, microfilm, page, household, line number.

Additionally, I would save an image of the page to the gallery for the
source and refer to it from the event gallery for my the census for my
aunt.  Also, I try to capture the bricks-and-mortar repository, if I
know where it is.  That would be a secondary repository for the
source.  After all, most sources we work with started out (and may
still exist) as paper-and-ink documents, though they may have been
microfilmed since they were created.

On Wed, Oct 21, 2009 at 3:02 PM, Prodoc81 <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Prodoc81 wrote:
>> For the moment I am 'abusing' the sources to kind of get what I want. I
>> create a source for each certificate and specify the URL as a the
>> 'Volume/Page'. This method, however, forces me to supply the same URL for
>> each new relation using the same certificate.
>>

> Off the list one explained to me the use of the clipboard function to be
> able to use the same source reference for e.g. multiple events (drag source
> to clipboard from one event to a seconds event from the clipboard). This at
> least reduces the need to supply the same URL at each event using the same
> source of the workaround mentioned above.
>
> So I could continue creating a new source for each link to a specific
> certificate. It does, however, make me wonder what the intent of
> repositories in GRAMPS is. When would you use it, how is it used now and how
> does it still serve a purpose when using the same source and repository for
> e.g. multiple events (considering the case mentioned in my previous e-mail)?
>
> Yours,
>
> Age

Gerald Britton

Re: Using sources and repositories

Prodoc
Again thank you for your reply.

Gerald Britton-2 wrote
Repositories are used to specify where a source is located.  Picture a
library building.  Inside the library is a book.  Inside the book is a
page containing vital information on your family.

The book is your source.  The page number is the source reference.
The library is the repository.  The call number is the number you give
the librarian to get the book for you.
At first I was getting a bit frustrated because you seemed to repeat me and yourself with the off the list massages again. After re-reading the lot I now realize what was wrong in my perception. I was more thinking of a source in the lines of a physical location instead of the actual object. Now I get why you would want to have multiple repository references listed at the same source.
Sorry for having to put in the extra effort of explaining it to me ;-)

To come back to the source dragging trick mentioned in my previous post which you mentioned off the list. It turns out not to be as usefull as expected. In case you didn't notice it yet: doing so will still create a _copy_ of the source reference. Not, as I expected it to be, an actual reference. Which, unfortunately, means that the copy at the second event will not change if you alter the initial one at the first event. Make a mistake in the first one and you'd have to manually change the copies as well. It still saves you from having to fill in the non-shared source fields again though.

Yours,

Age

Re: Using sources and repositories

Benny Malengier
2009/10/22 Prodoc81 <[hidden email]>:

> Again thank you for your reply.
>

> Gerald Britton-2 wrote:
>>
>> Repositories are used to specify where a source is located.  Picture a
>> library building.  Inside the library is a book.  Inside the book is a
>> page containing vital information on your family.
>>
>> The book is your source.  The page number is the source reference.
>> The library is the repository.  The call number is the number you give
>> the librarian to get the book for you.
>>

> At first I was getting a bit frustrated because you seemed to repeat me and
> yourself with the off the list massages again. After re-reading the lot I
> now realize what was wrong in my perception. I was more thinking of a source
> in the lines of a physical location instead of the actual object. Now I get
> why you would want to have multiple repository references listed at the same
> source.
> Sorry for having to put in the extra effort of explaining it to me ;-)
>
> To come back to the source dragging trick mentioned in my previous post
> which you mentioned off the list. It turns out not to be as usefull as
> expected. In case you didn't notice it yet: doing so will still create a
> _copy_ of the source reference. Not, as I expected it to be, an actual
> reference. Which, unfortunately, means that the copy at the second event
> will not change if you alter the initial one at the first event. Make a
> mistake in the first one and you'd have to manually change the copies as
> well. It still saves you from having to fill in the non-shared source fields
> again though.

The source holds the information found in the source.
The source reference is only for the information specific to the
referenced person/family/.. you might want to add (eg page in the
source you have found information about this person).

So source references are unique to the source and the object they reference.
You can however drag a source reference to the clipboard, and drag it
to another person to add a source. Then the entire source reference
will be _COPIED_ so as to make sure you don't need to retype things
you want to repeat.

If you transcribe a part of the source into GRAMPS, then use a note
object, and attach it to the source. The best is to start the first
line of the note with the relevant information about the part of the
source, eg 'Page 45' or 'log data 1509-06-06, entry 2'
You can share the note on a source reference.

So, in all, GRAMPS is very flexible. Some people like this, some want
a more strict program where the program forces you to work in some
way. The tagline of GRAMPS however is 'allowing you to store all
information you find', which is the reason for the flexibility.

It takes some getting used to though, and you have to decide for
yourself a good working method. Eg, some people will for a death
certificate use a different source everytime, even though the
certificates are clearly part of one larger source eg 'Death
certificates St John Parish 1600-1608'.
There is nothing wrong with this approach, which is typically used for
a family with many members from a single parish/city, giving a nicer
overview when you search per source then when you have one source
object with many entries/notes. However, the practice typically comes
of difficulty of finding a specific entry inside a large source, so
the practice is mainly used to make up for having no system on how to
add data to the source object.

Benny

> Yours,
>
> Age

Re: Using sources and repositories

Sjoerd van Staveren
Hello All,

Sometime ago I made a graphical representation of the several possibilities to use repositories, sources, source references and notes. It is in Dutch but this short list will help to understand it.

Gezin = Family
Persoon = Individual or person
Bibliotheek = Repository
Adres = Address
Naam = Name
Gebeurtenis = Event
Locatie = Location
Bron = Source
Bestand = File
Referentie informatie    = Source reference
Opmerking = Remark or note

Sjoerd van Staveren
www.van-staveren.net

relatiediagram.png (587K) Download Attachment

2009/10/24 Sjoerd van Staveren <[hidden email]>:

> Hello All,
>
> Sometime ago I made a graphical representation of the several possibilities
> to use repositories, sources, source references and notes. It is in Dutch
> but this short list will help to understand it.
>
> Gezin = Family
> Persoon = Individual or person
> Bibliotheek = Repository
> Adres = Address
> Naam = Name
> Gebeurtenis = Event
> Locatie = Location
> Bron = Source
> Bestand = File
> Referentie informatie    = Source reference
> Opmerking = Remark or note

Interessant.

Can you share how you made the figure, perhaps the source and the
program? Perhaps somebody can translate the output to English like
that.

Benny

I used a program called Dia (http://live.gnome.org/Dia). The symbols are from the UML library in this program. I exported the picture to the png format.

2009/10/24 Sjoerd van Staveren <[hidden email]>:
> Hello All,
>
> Sometime ago I made a graphical representation of the several possibilities
> to use repositories, sources, source references and notes. It is in Dutch
> but this short list will help to understand it.
>
> Gezin = Family
> Persoon = Individual or person
> Bibliotheek = Repository
> Adres = Address
> Naam = Name
> Gebeurtenis = Event
> Locatie = Location
> Bron = Source
> Bestand = File
> Referentie informatie    = Source reference
> Opmerking = Remark or note

Interessant.

Can you share how you made the figure, perhaps the source and the
program? Perhaps somebody can translate the output to English like
that.

Benny

> Sjoerd van Staveren
> www.van-staveren.net

Duncan Lithgow-5
2009/10/24 Sjoerd van Staveren <[hidden email]>:
> Hello All,
>
> Sometime ago I made a graphical representation of the several possibilities
> to use repositories, sources, source references and notes. It is in Dutch
> but this short list will help to understand it.

If you still have the DIA file, could you send it to me, I've been
thinking of doing something like this a few times now,.

Duncan

Linux user #372812 | http://lithgow-schmidt.dk

Re: Using sources and repositories

Sjoerd van Staveren
Hi Duncan,

This is the original DIA file.

Sjoerd

2009/10/24 Sjoerd van Staveren <[hidden email]>:
> Hello All,
>
> Sometime ago I made a graphical representation of the several possibilities
> to use repositories, sources, source references and notes. It is in Dutch
> but this short list will help to understand it.

If you still have the DIA file, could you send it to me, I've been
thinking of doing something like this a few times now,.

Duncan

relatiediagram.dia (7K) Download Attachment

Re: Using sources and repositories

Nick Hall-6
Sjoerd,

This is a really good idea.  I have attached an English translation.

There are a few things that could be improved such as adding Location in
addition to Place.  The objects that point to source should point to
source reference and there are other reference objects that could be added.

If I have time I may extend it if you don't mind.

Sjoerd van Staveren wrote:

> Hi Duncan,
>
> This is the original DIA file.
>
> Sjoerd

relationshipdiagram.dia (7K) Download Attachment