Varying report options

Johan Vromans
Hi,

Often I want to automatically generate a series of reports. I can do
this with the command line interface. However, this always uses the
file report_options.xml and even a small change to the contents of
this file (accidentally entered while using Gramps in GUI mode) may
render the automated reports useless.

Instead of explictly passing all settings on the command line
it would be nice if it were possible to specify an alternative for
report_options.xml using a command line option or environment
variable. This provides full control over all report options.
Are there any plans in this direction?

-- Johan

Re: Varying report options

Stéphane Charette-2
> Often I want to automatically generate a series of reports. I can do
> this with the command line interface. However, this always uses the
> file report_options.xml and even a small change to the contents of
> this file (accidentally entered while using Gramps in GUI mode) may
> render the automated reports useless.
>
> Instead of explictly passing all settings on the command line
> it would be nice if it were possible to specify an alternative for
> report_options.xml using a command line option or environment
> variable. This provides full control over all report options.

As a workaround, once you have the report_options.xml file you know
works, make a copy of it.  Before running your command-line reports,
copy back the known good xml file.

> Are there any plans in this direction?

Not at the moment.  But I've heard this mentioned before on irc, where
someone described to me wanting different sets of options depending on
which family tree they were working on.  One obvious way to do this
would be to have different copies of report_options.xml.

I recommend creating a feature request on http://www.gramps-project.org/bugs/

Stéphane

Re: Varying report options

Johan Vromans
"Stéphane Charette" <[hidden email]> writes:

> Not at the moment.  But I've heard this mentioned before on irc, where
> someone described to me wanting different sets of options depending on
> which family tree they were working on.  One obvious way to do this
> would be to have different copies of report_options.xml.
>
> I recommend creating a feature request on http://www.gramps-project.org/bugs/

http://www.gramps-project.org/bugs/view.php?id=2455

-- Johan

Re: Varying report options

Brian Matherly
Johan,

> Often I want to automatically generate a series of reports.
> I can do
> this with the command line interface. However, this always
> uses the
> file report_options.xml and even a small change to the
> contents of
> this file (accidentally entered while using Gramps in GUI
> mode) may
> render the automated reports useless.
>
> Instead of explictly passing all settings on the command
> line
> it would be nice if it were possible to specify an
> alternative for
> report_options.xml using a command line option or
> environment
> variable. This provides full control over all report
> options.
> Are there any plans in this direction?

I've been thinking about this lately. In my mind, it doesn't make sense to preserve past options on the command line. I can't think of other programs that do that. All the programs I can think of have reasonable default values and you only have to specify the options for which you want to change the default value.

In my opinion, we should just ignore past values all together and just have the user specify the options he wants to change from the defaults.

~Brian

Re: Varying report options

Johan Vromans
Brian Matherly <[hidden email]> writes:

> In my opinion, we should just ignore past values all together and
> just have the user specify the options he wants to change from the
> defaults.

That would also be an option.
In any case, it is mandatory that the 'default' values for the
settings are known.

-- Johan