Version and OS summary so far

Nick Hall
So far we have received 73 replies.  Hopefully we will still get some more.

When more than one version was given, I have included the oldest.

The breakdown by Gramps version is:

3.2: 1
3.3: 0
3.4: 12
4.0: 2
4.1: 3
4.2: 55

About 75% of users are using the latest major version.  Just over 20% of
users are not using the new place hierarchy.

The breakdown by operating system is:

Ubuntu: 18
Mint: 12
Debian: 7
Fedora: 6
Other Linux: 5
Windows: 18
Mac: 7

This shows that the sample is not representative.  From downloads I
would expect about 80% Windows, 10% Linux and 10% Mac.

Maybe we can use online polls to get more user feedback.

Re: Version and OS summary so far

Dave Gilmore

Forgot to add that I DO use the new place hierarchy

-Dave

Re: Version and OS summary so far

Paul Grabbe

Nick,

Downloads may not be a accurate measure of how people get the software. Downloads from Gramps site would not measure how many Linux users install from their distribution's repository. I'm not sure how one could measure that directly. On the other hand, when one updates add-ons that would not be from distribution but from Gramps site, correct? Does that update process create any logs that would show OS and version requesting update to add-ons?

Paul

On Oct 20, 2016 1:46 PM, "Nick Hall" <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Ross Gammon
On 20/10/16 19:45, Nick Hall wrote:
> This shows that the sample is not representative.  From downloads I
> would expect about 80% Windows, 10% Linux and 10% Mac.

I wouldn't consider readers of this list normal users, but "engaged"
users. They are more likely to download the latest Gramps from
Sourceforge. Sourceforge is pretty much the only place to get Gramps for
Windows. Most of the Windows users I know from Family History Societies
etc. use FTM or TMG. Many Linux distro users take what the distro gives
them.

This site shows the popularity of Gramps in Debian (unfortunately not
split by version):
https://qa.debian.org/popcon.php?package=gramps

Total Installs: 1069
Regular users: 220
Installed, not using regularly: 807
Recent Installs: 42

This is not to dispute the value of the survey on this list, which is
useful info, or to dispute Nick's conclusion. Just saying ...... :-)

On 20/10/16 19:39, Ross Gammon wrote:
This shows that the sample is not representative.  From downloads I
> would expect about 80% Windows, 10% Linux and 10% Mac.
I wouldn't consider readers of this list normal users, but "engaged"
users. They are more likely to download the latest Gramps from
Sourceforge. Sourceforge is pretty much the only place to get Gramps for
Windows. Most of the Windows users I know from Family History Societies
etc. use FTM or TMG. Many Linux distro users take what the distro gives
them.

This site shows the popularity of Gramps in Debian (unfortunately not
split by version):
https://qa.debian.org/popcon.php?package=gramps

Total Installs: 1069
Regular users: 220
Installed, not using regularly: 807
Recent Installs: 42

Interesting.

My estimates were based on SF downloads of the Windows and Mac versions before downloads from GitHub were available.  I assumed that the number of Linux users would be about the same as the number of Mac users.  This assumption may be completely wrong.

Re: Version and OS summary so far

brian fitzgerald
One way to get good data would be to make a specific gramplet which
communicated OS version and Gramps Version back to the 'Mothership'
where it would be displayed on the wiki page. Of course it would be
voluntary and anonymized.

Brian

On 10/20/2016 01:45 PM, Nick Hall wrote:

> So far we have received 73 replies.  Hopefully we will still get some more.
>
> When more than one version was given, I have included the oldest.
>
> The breakdown by Gramps version is:
>
> 3.2: 1
> 3.3: 0
> 3.4: 12
> 4.0: 2
> 4.1: 3
> 4.2: 55
>
> About 75% of users are using the latest major version.  Just over 20% of
> users are not using the new place hierarchy.
>
> The breakdown by operating system is:
>
> Ubuntu: 18
> Mint: 12
> Debian: 7
> Fedora: 6
> Other Linux: 5
> Windows: 18
> Mac: 7
>
> This shows that the sample is not representative.  From downloads I
> would expect about 80% Windows, 10% Linux and 10% Mac.
>
> Maybe we can use online polls to get more user feedback.
>

> Nick.

Re: Version and OS summary so far

Dave Gilmore

Nick,

As someone else brought up I think, the downloads are going to be Windows top heavy because this is the only way Windows users can get Gramps. Most of us on Linux are going to use a repo of some kind I imagine. Would it be worth the effort for you to setup a Gramps repo like other projects do? Then you would have total visibility on all of the metrics you want. And, if infrastructure (bandwidth, servers, content distribution etc) is the issue can you have a Gramps repo that redirects to someplace like github or sourceforge or where ever so that you could at least capture the initial request?

Just some thoughts,

Dave

On 2016-10-20 10:45 AM, Nick Hall wrote:

This shows that the sample is not representative.  From downloads I
would expect about 80% Windows, 10% Linux and 10% Mac.

Maybe we can use online polls to get more user feedback.

Re: Version and OS summary so far

Rich Lakey
Your link to Debian popcon intrigued me. I looked it up wondering how Debian gets this info. I see I have a packages on my Linux Mint system that sends anonymous info to Debian and Ubuntu on packages we use on our system. These packages are not automatically installed. One is Popuarity-contest and the other Pp-popularity-contest.  It looks like something we Debian/Ubuntu/Mint users should install.  Not only for Gramps, but this seems to me to be important to get our favorite apps counted and included in future releases? Anyhow I have installed them on my system so my vote counts.
Rich

On 21/10/16 16:07, Dave Gilmore wrote:
> As someone else brought up I think, the downloads are going to be
> Windows top heavy because this is the only way Windows users can get
> Gramps. Most of us on Linux are going to use a repo of some kind I
> imagine. Would it be worth the effort for you to setup a Gramps repo
> like other projects do? Then you would have total visibility on all of
> the metrics you want. And, if infrastructure (bandwidth, servers,
> content distribution etc) is the issue can you have a Gramps repo that
> redirects to someplace like github or sourceforge or where ever so
> that you could at least capture the initial request?

I really just wanted to get an indication of the number and type of
active subscribers to this list.

The list has 774 members, but not all of them receive posts.  So far, 84
people have responded to my question.

Most replies have been from Linux users, but I would guess that the
majority of our users use Windows.  I may be wrong though.

Re: Version and OS summary so far

Ross Gammon
Thanks for installing that. We do use the data to look for old programs
that are not used, so they can be removed if they cause problems.
Luckily that is not the case for Gramps!

Ubuntu popcon data goes here:
http://popcon.ubuntu.com/
But the webpages are not so useful.

I couldn't find where the Mint data goes (with a quick search).

If you are interested, there is a python-popcon library, which can be
used to get at the raw data. But I have not tried it.

On 21/10/16 17:43, Rich wrote:

> Your link to Debian popcon intrigued me. I looked it up wondering how
> Debian gets this info. I see I have a packages on my Linux Mint system
> that sends anonymous info to Debian and Ubuntu on packages we use on
> our system. These packages are not automatically installed. One is
> Popuarity-contest and the other Pp-popularity-contest.  It looks like
> something we Debian/Ubuntu/Mint users should install.  Not only for
> Gramps, but this seems to me to be important to get our favorite apps
> counted and included in future releases? Anyhow I have installed them
> on my system so my vote counts.
> Rich

Re: Version and OS summary so far

Josip
20.10.2016. u 22:07, Nick Hall je napisao/la:

> My estimates were based on SF downloads of the Windows and Mac versions
> before downloads from GitHub were available.

Here are current GitHub download statistic if interested (gathered with
their json api):

Downloads of Gramps from GitHub

v5.0.0-alpha1_____________________________________
     34  GrampsAIO-5.0.0-alpha1-0966f6_win64.exe
   1451  GrampsAIO-5.0.0-alpha1_win32.exe
   3424  GrampsAIO-5.0.0-alpha1_win64.exe
    580  python3-gramps_5.0.0-alpha1_all.deb

v4.2.4____________________________________________
   1789  Gramps-Intel-4.2.4-3.dmg
    156  Gramps-PPC-4.2.4-1.dmg
   1907  GrampsAIO-4.2.4-1_win32.exe
   5808  GrampsAIO-4.2.4-1_win64.exe
    949  python3-gramps_4.2.4_all.deb

v4.2.3____________________________________________
    508  Gramps-Intel-4.2.3-4.dmg
   1266  Gramps-Intel-4.2.3-5.dmg
    681  Gramps-PPC-4.2.3-2.dmg
   5179  GrampsAIO-4.2.3-1_win32.exe
  14062  GrampsAIO-4.2.3-1_win64.exe
   2318  python3-gramps_4.2.3_all.deb

v4.2.2____________________________________________
   4711  Gramps-Intel-4.2.2-2.dmg
   1760  Gramps-Intel-4.2.2-4.dmg
    795  Gramps-Intel-4.2.2-5.dmg
    426  Gramps-PPC-4.2.2-1.dmg
    882  GrampsAIO-4.2.2-1_win32.exe
   2200  GrampsAIO-4.2.2-1_win64.exe
   2009  python3-gramps_4.2.2_all.deb

v4.2.1____________________________________________
    194  Gramps-Intel-4.2.1-1.dmg
    134  Gramps-PPC-4.2.1-1.dmg
   4257  GrampsAIO-4.2.1-1_win32.exe
   9855  GrampsAIO-4.2.1-2_win64.exe
     87  python3-gramps_4.2.1_all.deb

v4.2.0____________________________________________
    116  Gramps-Intel-4.2.0-3.dmg
     40  Gramps-PPC-4.2.0-1.dmg
    152  GrampsAIO-4.2.0-1_win64.exe
     56  python3-gramps_4.2.0_all.deb

v4.1.3____________________________________________
     70  Gramps-Intel-4.1.3-2.dmg
     24  Gramps-PPC-4.1.3-1.dmg
    118  GrampsAIO-4.1.3-1_win32_py27.exe
     43  GrampsAIO-4.1.3-1_win64_py27.exe
     35  python-gramps_4.1.3_all.deb
     27  python3-gramps_4.1.3_all.deb

v4.0.4____________________________________________
      9  Gramps-Intel-4.0.4-2.dmg
      0  Gramps-PPC-4.0.4-1.dmg
      1  gramps-4.0.4-1.fc20.noarch.rpm
      1  gramps-4.0.4-1.gen19.noarch.rpm
      0  gramps-common-4.0.4-1.fc20.noarch.rpm
      0  gramps-common-4.0.4-1.gen19.noarch.rpm
      0  gramps-webapp-4.0.4-1.fc20.noarch.rpm
      0  gramps-webapp-4.0.4-1.gen19.noarch.rpm
      7  python-gramps_4.0.4_all.deb

v3.4.9____________________________________________
     58  Gramps-Intel-3.4.9-1.dmg
    118  GrampsAIO32-3.4.9-1.exe
     68  GrampsAIO64-3.4.9-1.exe
     63  gramps_3.4.9-1_all.deb

Total download count:  68428

--
Josip

---

Re: Version and OS summary so far

Helge.Privat
GrampsAIO64-4.2.3-1 on Win10

Re: Version and OS summary so far

Like an Ubuntu PPA?

On 10/21/2016 10:07 AM, Dave Gilmore wrote:

> Nick,
>
> As someone else brought up I think, the downloads are going to be Windows
> top heavy because this is the only way Windows users can get Gramps. Most
> of us on Linux are going to use a repo of some kind I imagine. Would it be
> worth the effort for you to setup a Gramps repo like other projects do?
> Then you would have total visibility on all of the metrics you want. And,
> if infrastructure (bandwidth, servers, content distribution etc) is the
> issue can you have a Gramps repo that redirects to someplace like github
> or sourceforge or where ever so that you could at least capture the
> initial request?
>
> Just some thoughts,
>
> Dave

Re: Version and OS summary so far

Hugh Paterson III
I use Gramps on OS X 10.11.6. I have it installed on two machines.

Is there any way to get install metrics from Homebrew? Homebrew is a apt-get like tool on OS X. For those of us who like to use the command line sometimes using homebrew is easier. Therefore, the OS X audience might actually be larger than the GRAMPS site indicates via downloads.

- Hugh Paterson