Quantcast

View of multiple family trees?

Negativeion
Hi all, I'm a new users of Gramps and need some clarification on what are the different approaches people have taken when creating family trees.

I have so far created a small version of my own family tree, 3 levels deep so far just to familiarize myself with the program and how it works. So far everything is going well.

However, my ultimate goal is not to only create my own family tree but many family trees. What is the best approach for this? Use separate databases for each family or Use one database for "All Families"?

Here's the back story on my research.  I come from a very small isolated village in Europe. I was told that it is highly unlikely that I will find any records going further than 60-70 years, basically records before WW2 might not exist.

Because the village was so isolated there were approximately 40-50 families(maybe less). People tended to get married within these families. There were rules of course, you could not marry 1st, 2nd, 3rd cousins. Still this led to a lot of interesting connections and relationships because in the end everyone was somehow related with each other.

My goal is to have a view of lets say 10 families with the most connections with each other, I'm not very familiar with the tool yet but I'm assuming I can only view this info if there is some overlapping views. Is this possible?
Knowing a bit of of the background what would be the best, easier approach to build out this "Village family tree"?

How would I deal with people belonging to 2 different trees in terms of viewing the connection? For example,  my mother is now listed under my father's family tree but she was born under a different family tree. I'd like to be able when I see my own tree, my mother's tree to also show as a connections.  Is this possible?

Appreciate any feesback!

Re: View of multiple family trees?

Dave Scheipers
Welcome,

It's easier to create and maintain one database. With one database, you avoid having to create the same overlapping individuals in various tress. When the time comes, filters can be created to isolate branches for reports etc. Additionally, one database may help you find those hidden links.

I created a report for one of my mother's cousins. Before sending it off I was perusing it to make sure it created what I wanted. Low and behold, my father's sister showed up in the report;. an unexpected surprise.

Additionally, you will be creating place, source, etc  databases relevant to your work.  Why duplicate your efforts.

Dave

NdK

Il 18/04/2017 04:11, Negativeion ha scritto:

> Knowing a bit of of the background what would be the best, easier approach
> to build out this "Village family tree"?
IMO a single tree is the best choice. For the records, you could have
some luck with church records (at least if they weren't destroyed during
war).

PS: better to develop a "backup habit" from the start: before ending a
session, use "export to XML". Better safe than sorry.

BYtE,
 Diego

Re: View of multiple family trees?

In the single tree that the others mention, use tags (each person can have
multiple tags) to separate out the different "sub-groups".