Viewing the XML file in gedit?

Peter (chamdo4ever)
Clearly I'm making some kind of simple mistake.

Before I import an XML file into Gramps (in my case, from my old
Master Genealogist database) I can easily open it in gedit on Ubuntu
and view the code.

However, when I work on my database in Gramps 4.0.4., and either
"Export" it from Gramps or do a "Backup," the code in gedit looks like
gibberish.

What am I doing wrong? Should I not be using gedit at all? How can I
view the XML code of my database?

Many thanks,

Peter

Re: Viewing the XML file in gedit?

Peter (chamdo4ever)
Never mind -- the easy answer was just read the Wiki and learn how to
uncompress the file:

https://www.gramps-project.org/wiki/index.php?title=Generate_XML#How_do_I_uncompress_the_file.3F

On Mon, Jun 16, 2014 at 8:51 PM, Peter <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Clearly I'm making some kind of simple mistake.
>
> Before I import an XML file into Gramps (in my case, from my old
> Master Genealogist database) I can easily open it in gedit on Ubuntu
> and view the code.
>
> However, when I work on my database in Gramps 4.0.4., and either
> "Export" it from Gramps or do a "Backup," the code in gedit looks like
> gibberish.
>
> What am I doing wrong? Should I not be using gedit at all? How can I
> view the XML code of my database?
>
> Many thanks,
>
> Peter

Re: Viewing the XML file in gedit?

Nick Hall
Or you could read the compressed file using:

 > zless backup.gramps

Nick.

On 17/06/14 02:11, Peter wrote:

> Never mind -- the easy answer was just read the Wiki and learn how to
> uncompress the file:
>
> https://www.gramps-project.org/wiki/index.php?title=Generate_XML#How_do_I_uncompress_the_file.3F
>
> On Mon, Jun 16, 2014 at 8:51 PM, Peter<[hidden email]>  wrote:
>> >Clearly I'm making some kind of simple mistake.
>> >
>> >Before I import an XML file into Gramps (in my case, from my old
>> >Master Genealogist database) I can easily open it in gedit on Ubuntu
>> >and view the code.
>> >
>> >However, when I work on my database in Gramps 4.0.4., and either
>> >"Export" it from Gramps or do a "Backup," the code in gedit looks like
>> >gibberish.
>> >
>> >What am I doing wrong? Should I not be using gedit at all? How can I
>> >view the XML code of my database?

Re: Viewing the XML file in gedit?

Or, if more processing required:

zcat ${FOO} > ${FOO}.xml&& vim ${FOO}.xml
    or
FOOBASE=`basename ${FOO}`
zcat ${FOO} \

--
My word, man!  Don't you know your quantum statistics?