Visual indicator of last modification...

Visual indicator of last modification...

Espen Berg-2

Would it be nice to have the date of last modification of a record
displayed?  I see TMG, Legacy, Reunion etc display this property.  Then
it would be easy to see when I last modified this person, event, source
etc.  Is this property stored in the database today, or does it demand a
change of the database to be able to store it?

What do you others think of this?

Cheers

Espen

Re: Visual indicator of last modification...

Andreas K.-2

> From: [hidden email]

> Subject: Gramps-devel Digest, Vol 16, Issue 6
> To: [hidden email]
> Date: Tue, 4 Sep 2007 02:33:17 -0700
>
> Message: 6
> Date: Tue, 04 Sep 2007 11:21:15 +0200
> From: Espen Berg <[hidden email]>
> Subject: [Gramps-devel] Visual indicator of last modification...
> To: [hidden email]
>

> Would it be nice to have the date of last modification of a record
> displayed? I see TMG, Legacy, Reunion etc display this property. Then
> it would be easy to see when I last modified this person, event, source
> etc.

It is one of the features I miss in GRAMPS today, so I would welcome it.

Andreas

Skapa ditt personliga sökdjur och gör dina sökningar lite roligare med SearchPet! SearchPet

Re: Visual indicator of last modification...

Don Allingham-3
This feature exists today. In any of the views, open the Column Editor
(Edit -> Column Editor) and enable the "Last Changed" item. The time of
last change will now be displayed as a column in the view.

Don

On Tue, 2007-09-04 at 11:21 +0200, Espen Berg wrote:

> Would it be nice to have the date of last modification of a record
> displayed?  I see TMG, Legacy, Reunion etc display this property.  Then
> it would be easy to see when I last modified this person, event, source
> etc.  Is this property stored in the database today, or does it demand a
> change of the database to be able to store it?
>
> What do you others think of this?
>

> Cheers
>
> Espen

Re: Visual indicator of last modification...

bm-5
Don,

as most people use the pedigree or the relationship view for daily work, it
would be great to see this somehow also on the edit dialogs, or in
those views.
Is there a way to add a status bar at the bottom of the editors easily? Some
other way people can think of to convey this info non-intrusively?

Benny

Quoting Don Allingham <[hidden email]>:

> This feature exists today. In any of the views, open the Column Editor
> (Edit -> Column Editor) and enable the "Last Changed" item. The time of
> last change will now be displayed as a column in the view.
>
> Don
>
> On Tue, 2007-09-04 at 11:21 +0200, Espen Berg wrote:
>> Would it be nice to have the date of last modification of a record
>> displayed?  I see TMG, Legacy, Reunion etc display this property.  Then
>> it would be easy to see when I last modified this person, event, source
>> etc.  Is this property stored in the database today, or does it demand a
>> change of the database to be able to store it?
>>
>> What do you others think of this?
>>

>> Cheers
>>
>> Espen

Re: Visual indicator of last modification...

Johan Grönqvist
Don Allingham skrev:
> This feature exists today. In any of the views, open the Column Editor
> (Edit -> Column Editor) and enable the "Last Changed" item. The time of
> last change will now be displayed as a column in the view.

(This description of symptoms is from memory, I have not tested this
again today.)

When exporting to gramps xml format, I can open the xml file and see
that the last modified date is in there. When importing from that file
into a new grdb database (typically when upgrading gramps), it seems to
me that the date of last modification is set to the date of import,
rather then the date that was recorded in the gramps xml file.

Is this a feature?

As I only use one database and use xml format to reimport from when
upgrading gramps or reinstalling Windows XP (happens frequently), I
would have expoected and appreciated if the old modification time was
copied when importing.

Is there a rationale for setting the time of last change to the time of
import?

Thanks

Johan

Re: Visual indicator of last modification...

Don Allingham
On Tue, 2007-09-04 at 17:24 +0200, Johan Grönqvist wrote:

> Is there a rationale for setting the time of last change to the time of
> import?

Actually, there is a very good reason. Poor programming on the
developer's part :-)

I'll see about fixing this.

Don