Quantcast

Volunteer Opportunities?

Combs, Matthew Christopher
My name is Matthew Combs and I am a graduate student in Computer Science at the University of Illinois at Springfield (in the USA).  As part of my Software Engineering class, I have an assignment to volunteer to help with an open-source project.

I browsed through Sourceforge.net and found your software.  I am an avid genealogist with a special interest in surnames.  The GRAMPS software seemed like it would suit me well.  The requirements of the assignment indicate that I am to not do any coding of software.  This would allow me to do installation scripts, testing, documentation, etc.

Do you think your group could use a volunteer to assist you?  I can provide additional details about my technical and genealogy background if you like.  I am the author of Surname Suggestion List and Surname Findit.

If you could get back to me soon, that would be greatly appreciated.  I have a deadline of Wednesday to let my professor know which project I am going to volunteer for.

If this is not the correct list to post this request to, please accept my apologies in advance.

Thanks,

Matt Combs

Re: Volunteer Opportunities?

DS Blank
On Sun, Aug 29, 2010 at 8:49 PM, Combs, Matthew Christopher
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> My name is Matthew Combs and I am a graduate student in Computer Science at
> the University of Illinois at Springfield (in the USA).  As part of my
> Software Engineering class, I have an assignment to volunteer to help with
> an open-source project.
>
> I browsed through Sourceforge.net and found your software.  I am an avid
> genealogist with a special interest in surnames.  The GRAMPS software seemed
> like it would suit me well.  The requirements of the assignment indicate
> that I am to not do any coding of software.  This would allow me to do
> installation scripts, testing, documentation, etc.
>
> Do you think your group could use a volunteer to assist you?  I can provide
> additional details about my technical and genealogy background if you like.
> I am the author of Surname Suggestion List and Surname Findit.
>
> If you could get back to me soon, that would be greatly appreciated.  I have
> a deadline of Wednesday to let my professor know which project I am going to
> volunteer for.
>
> If this is not the correct list to post this request to, please accept my
> apologies in advance.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Matt Combs

Hi, Matt!

I'm just one of the developers, but let me welcome you to Gramps! I'm
sure that we'd love to have additional eyes looking over, and
additional brains thinking about making the project better.

Now is a good time for such a project as you propose... we are about
halfway through making changes for the next major version, version 3.3
which we plan on releasing in March of 2011. That is, we've done some
new development, so we have new stuff to write up, test, and install.
We have had some ideas for a much simplified installer for some
time... perhaps using setup, easy_install, etc. But not sure if that
goes beyond your "no coding" constraints. We also are testing some new
user interfaces, which we think will be an excellent enhancement for
the next version.

In short, we'd be glad to work with you in whatever fashion we can!

-Doug

Re: Volunteer Opportunities?

Benny Malengier
Let us know what would interest you most.

Some options:

1. bug triage on http://www.gramps-project.org/bugs/my_view_page.php

We can make you developer on the list so you can close items, move them, test if old issues are still a problem, what are good feature requests and what should receive more fleshing out. If you look at the bug tracker, we have issues from 2006 (set hide status to resolved),
http://www.gramps-project.org/bugs/view_all_bug_page.php?page_number=22

2. GEPS development. One of the features for 3.3 we would like to add is better surname handling for Spanish/Portuguese/Russian. You seem to have interest in surnames.
The discussion is at http://gramps-project.org/wiki/index.php?title=Names_Discussion
see http://gramps.1791082.n4.nabble.com/Proposals-for-additional-name-fields-td1805382.html

What is needed is to make an enhancement proposal: http://gramps-project.org/wiki/index.php?title=Category:GEPS with the agreed solution, and suggestion on how the name editor/person editor must change to make this simple for the user.
A developer can then code that final document, instead of reading again all info.
I think the technical solution I present in the mailing thread covers the issues, but it remains to decide how to show this to the user.

3. you have ideas yourself?

Benny

2010/8/30 Benny Malengier <[hidden email]>
[...]

As this was in my mind anyway, I started a frame work for the proposal:

http://www.gramps-project.org/wiki/index.php?title=GEPS_021:_Additional_Name_Fields

Benny

<[hidden email]> wrote:
> My name is Matthew Combs and I am a graduate student in Computer Science at
> the University of Illinois at Springfield (in the USA).  As part of my
> Software Engineering class, I have an assignment to volunteer to help with
> an open-source project.
>
> I browsed through Sourceforge.net and found your software.  I am an avid
> genealogist with a special interest in surnames.  The GRAMPS software seemed
> like it would suit me well.  The requirements of the assignment indicate
> that I am to not do any coding of software.  This would allow me to do
> installation scripts, testing, documentation, etc.
>
> Do you think your group could use a volunteer to assist you?  I can provide
> additional details about my technical and genealogy background if you like.
> I am the author of Surname Suggestion List and Surname Findit.
>
> If you could get back to me soon, that would be greatly appreciated.  I have
> a deadline of Wednesday to let my professor know which project I am going to
> volunteer for.
>
> If this is not the correct list to post this request to, please accept my
> apologies in advance.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Matt Combs

Hi, Matt!

I'm just one of the developers, but let me welcome you to Gramps! I'm
sure that we'd love to have additional eyes looking over, and
additional brains thinking about making the project better.

Now is a good time for such a project as you propose... we are about
halfway through making changes for the next major version, version 3.3
which we plan on releasing in March of 2011. That is, we've done some
new development, so we have new stuff to write up, test, and install.
We have had some ideas for a much simplified installer for some
time... perhaps using setup, easy_install, etc. But not sure if that
goes beyond your "no coding" constraints. We also are testing some new
user interfaces, which we think will be an excellent enhancement for
the next version.

In short, we'd be glad to work with you in whatever fashion we can!

-Doug

Re: Volunteer Opportunities?

Soundex improvements[1] and use[2] is also related to surname.

[1] http://www.gramps-project.org/bugs/view.php?id=3662
[2] http://sourceforge.net/mailarchive/message.php?msg_name=464C542F.1020903%40yahoo.fr

Regards,
Jérôme

http://p.sf.net/sfu/intel-atom-d2d

-----La pièce jointe associée suit-----

http://p.sf.net/sfu/intel-atom-d2d
-----La pièce jointe associée suit-----

Re: Volunteer Opportunities?

Duncan Lithgow-5
Hi Matt,

As you can see there are lots of opportunities for you to work with
the Gramps project.

My thought was that you might want to work on the windows installer,
which is rather troublesome at the moment because of the dependecy
issues.

If you haven't spotted something yet that fits your course
requirements you might want to give us a bit more detail on what sort
of project you want to work with.

Duncan

--
'The unconsidered life is not worth living' - Socrates

Re: Volunteer Opportunities?

Combs, Matthew Christopher
Many thanks for the quick responses to my question for Volunteer Opportunities.  I will ask my professor for additional details about the assignment and get back to the list.

I'll try to do my best to assist you with GRAMPS.  Sounds like there is a variety of opportunities and I hope to choose one very soon.

Matt Combs