Wanted: advice on exporting to Gedcom

Doug-11
My Gramps database was originally the same as a database I use on
GenesReunited to pick up matches and contacts with other people looking
at the same family histories. Now it's very much bigger with many more
people, copious notes, sources and media; and I want to update the
GenesReunited database.

I've exported the Gramps database as a gedcom file. On importing it to
GR, as expected I found quite a number of fields missing; however, there
seems to be a lot of scrambled data in the notes and sources fields
which is very confusing.

Since I only need the GR database to show a minimum of information to
enable matching with other people's trees, is it possible to strip the
Gramps database of Note and Source fields before exporting it as a
gedcom file?

Using 3.0.4 on Mandrive Linux 2008.1

Doug

Re: Wanted: advice on exporting to Gedcom

Douglas S. Blank
> My Gramps database was originally the same as a database I use on
> GenesReunited to pick up matches and contacts with other people looking
> at the same family histories. Now it's very much bigger with many more
> people, copious notes, sources and media; and I want to update the
> GenesReunited database.
>
> I've exported the Gramps database as a gedcom file. On importing it to
> GR, as expected I found quite a number of fields missing; however, there
> seems to be a lot of scrambled data in the notes and sources fields
> which is very confusing.
>
> Since I only need the GR database to show a minimum of information to
> enable matching with other people's trees, is it possible to strip the
> Gramps database of Note and Source fields before exporting it as a
> gedcom file?
>
> Using 3.0.4 on Mandrive Linux 2008.1
>
> Doug

Doug,

It sounds like the problem lies in the "updating" of of GR data. It may be
relying on a universal identifier that GRAMPS may not support because it
is outside the GEDCOM specification.

One possible solution is to not "update" the GR data, but to delete the
previous version and upload it as a new version. I have had to do this on
other such sites.

I realize that you view your GRAMPS data as just an updated version, but
there may be no way to update their GEDCOM. (I think we are exploring
possibly supporting some universal ID, and we could perhaps use this
situation as a test case to see what we would need to add.)

So, I suspect that it is GR that is losing fields and scrambling data
because of the lack of this missing global ID.

Hope this helps,

Douglas S. Blank wrote:

>> My Gramps database was originally the same as a database I use on
>> GenesReunited to pick up matches and contacts with other people looking
>> at the same family histories. Now it's very much bigger with many more
>> people, copious notes, sources and media; and I want to update the
>> GenesReunited database.
>>
>> I've exported the Gramps database as a gedcom file. On importing it to
>> GR, as expected I found quite a number of fields missing; however, there
>> seems to be a lot of scrambled data in the notes and sources fields
>> which is very confusing.
>>
>> Since I only need the GR database to show a minimum of information to
>> enable matching with other people's trees, is it possible to strip the
>> Gramps database of Note and Source fields before exporting it as a
>> gedcom file?
>>
>> Using 3.0.4 on Mandrive Linux 2008.1
>>
>> Doug
>>

> Doug,
>
> It sounds like the problem lies in the "updating" of of GR data. It may be
> relying on a universal identifier that GRAMPS may not support because it
> is outside the GEDCOM specification.
>
> One possible solution is to not "update" the GR data, but to delete the
> previous version and upload it as a new version. I have had to do this on
> other such sites.
>
> I realize that you view your GRAMPS data as just an updated version, but
> there may be no way to update their GEDCOM. (I think we are exploring
> possibly supporting some universal ID, and we could perhaps use this
> situation as a test case to see what we would need to add.)
>
> So, I suspect that it is GR that is losing fields and scrambling data
> because of the lack of this missing global ID.
>
> Hope this helps,
>
> -Doug

Thanks Doug,
I'll try deleting and uploading and let you know what happens.

Douglas S. Blank wrote:

>> My Gramps database was originally the same as a database I use on
>> GenesReunited to pick up matches and contacts with other people looking
>> at the same family histories. Now it's very much bigger with many more
>> people, copious notes, sources and media; and I want to update the
>> GenesReunited database.
>>
>> I've exported the Gramps database as a gedcom file. On importing it to
>> GR, as expected I found quite a number of fields missing; however, there
>> seems to be a lot of scrambled data in the notes and sources fields
>> which is very confusing.
>>
>> Since I only need the GR database to show a minimum of information to
>> enable matching with other people's trees, is it possible to strip the
>> Gramps database of Note and Source fields before exporting it as a
>> gedcom file?
>>
>> Using 3.0.4 on Mandrive Linux 2008.1
>>
>> Doug
>>

> Doug,
>
> It sounds like the problem lies in the "updating" of of GR data. It may be
> relying on a universal identifier that GRAMPS may not support because it
> is outside the GEDCOM specification.
>
> One possible solution is to not "update" the GR data, but to delete the
> previous version and upload it as a new version. I have had to do this on
> other such sites.
>
> I realize that you view your GRAMPS data as just an updated version, but
> there may be no way to update their GEDCOM. (I think we are exploring
> possibly supporting some universal ID, and we could perhaps use this
> situation as a test case to see what we would need to add.)
>
> So, I suspect that it is GR that is losing fields and scrambling data
> because of the lack of this missing global ID.
>
> Hope this helps,
>
> -Doug

I've now tried deleting and uploading as a new version. This has changed
things but is still not satisfactory - it seems to load a barrel of
stuff  - event descriptions, paths to media, and some notes - all into
the one note field. The source field is mostly empty; where there is an
entry this is not a source but a place name!

Doug wrote:

> Douglas S. Blank wrote:
>>> My Gramps database was originally the same as a database I use on
>>> GenesReunited to pick up matches and contacts with other people looking
>>> at the same family histories. Now it's very much bigger with many more
>>> people, copious notes, sources and media; and I want to update the
>>> GenesReunited database.
>>>
>>> I've exported the Gramps database as a gedcom file. On importing it to
>>> GR, as expected I found quite a number of fields missing; however,
>>> there
>>> seems to be a lot of scrambled data in the notes and sources fields
>>> which is very confusing.
>>>
>>> Since I only need the GR database to show a minimum of information to
>>> enable matching with other people's trees, is it possible to strip the
>>> Gramps database of Note and Source fields before exporting it as a
>>> gedcom file?
>>>
>>> Using 3.0.4 on Mandrive Linux 2008.1
>>>
>>> Doug
>>>

>> Doug,
>>
>> It sounds like the problem lies in the "updating" of of GR data. It
>> may be
>> relying on a universal identifier that GRAMPS may not support because it
>> is outside the GEDCOM specification.
>>
>> One possible solution is to not "update" the GR data, but to delete the
>> previous version and upload it as a new version. I have had to do
>> this on
>> other such sites.
>>
>> I realize that you view your GRAMPS data as just an updated version, but
>> there may be no way to update their GEDCOM. (I think we are exploring
>> possibly supporting some universal ID, and we could perhaps use this
>> situation as a test case to see what we would need to add.)
>>
>> So, I suspect that it is GR that is losing fields and scrambling data
>> because of the lack of this missing global ID.
>>
>> Hope this helps,
>>
>> -Doug
>>

> I've now tried deleting and uploading as a new version. This has
> changed things but is still not satisfactory - it seems to load a
> barrel of stuff  - event descriptions, paths to media, and some notes
> - all into the one note field. The source field is mostly empty; where
> there is an entry this is not a source but a place name!
>
> Doug

Follow-up: I've re-imported the gedcom file into Gramps and it seems fine.

So, to go back to my original query:

Is it possible to strip the Gramps database down to a skeleton of Names,
DOB and DOD events and Relationships before exporting as a gedcom file?

Doug

Re: Wanted: advice on exporting to Gedcom

Douglas S. Blank
> Doug wrote:
> Follow-up: I've re-imported the gedcom file into Gramps and it seems fine.
>
> So, to go back to my original query:
>
> Is it possible to strip the Gramps database down to a skeleton of Names,
> DOB and DOD events and Relationships before exporting as a gedcom file?

The easiest way I can think of:

1) Export in CSV Spreadsheet format. This only exports the main details.
2) Create a new family tree in the Manager
3) Import from the CSV file
4) Export in GEDCOM format

You can probably even write a script that does this using gramps
command-line flags, but I don't know those very well.

Hope that works for you! (I still wonder if the original issue is a GRAMPS
GEDCOM format bug, or if it is the website reading it...)

-Doug

Douglas S. Blank wrote:

>> <SNIP>
>> Is it possible to strip the Gramps database down to a skeleton of Names,
>> DOB and DOD events and Relationships before exporting as a gedcom file?
>>

> The easiest way I can think of:
>
> 1) Export in CSV Spreadsheet format. This only exports the main details.
> 2) Create a new family tree in the Manager
> 3) Import from the CSV file
> 4) Export in GEDCOM format
>
> You can probably even write a script that does this using gramps
> command-line flags, but I don't know those very well.
>
> Hope that works for you! (I still wonder if the original issue is a GRAMPS
> GEDCOM format bug, or if it is the website reading it...)
>
> -Doug
Thanks, Doug, I'll give it a go.

2008/12/20 Douglas S. Blank <[hidden email]>
> Doug wrote:
> Follow-up: I've re-imported the gedcom file into Gramps and it seems fine.
>
> So, to go back to my original query:
>
> Is it possible to strip the Gramps database down to a skeleton of Names,
> DOB and DOD events and Relationships before exporting as a gedcom file?

The easiest way I can think of:

1) Export in CSV Spreadsheet format. This only exports the main details.
2) Create a new family tree in the Manager
3) Import from the CSV file
4) Export in GEDCOM format

You can probably even write a script that does this using gramps
command-line flags, but I don't know those very well.

Another possible answer to the question is:

1/ export to .gramps format
2/ unzip the .gramps file, and open the resulting file in a basic editor (gedit, kate, ...)
3/ delete the sections notes and sources
4/ import into a test family tree
5/ run the check and repair tool an this test family tree

Benny Malengier wrote:

> 2008/12/20 Douglas S. Blank <[hidden email]
> <mailto:[hidden email]>>
>
>     > Doug wrote:
>     > Follow-up: I've re-imported the gedcom file into Gramps and it
>     seems fine.
>     >
>     > So, to go back to my original query:
>     >
>     > Is it possible to strip the Gramps database down to a skeleton
>     of Names,
>     > DOB and DOD events and Relationships before exporting as a
>     gedcom file?
>
>     The easiest way I can think of:
>
>     1) Export in CSV Spreadsheet format. This only exports the main
>     details.
>     2) Create a new family tree in the Manager
>     3) Import from the CSV file
>     4) Export in GEDCOM format
>
>     You can probably even write a script that does this using gramps
>     command-line flags, but I don't know those very well.
>

> Another possible answer to the question is:
>
> 1/ export to .gramps format
> 2/ unzip the .gramps file, and open the resulting file in a basic
> editor (gedit, kate, ...)
> 3/ delete the sections notes and sources
> 4/ import into a test family tree
> 5/ run the check and repair tool an this test family tree
>
> Benny

Thanks, Benny and Doug.
Before I saw Benny's post I had already tried Doug's suggestion. This
worked nicely and easily: the stripped gedcom database has uploaded to
GenesReunited OK.
Is there any way I can help to sort out why the normal database was
scrambled on uploading?

Doug

Re: Wanted: advice on exporting to Gedcom

Benny Malengier

2009/1/3 Doug <[hidden email]>
Benny Malengier wrote:

2008/12/20 Douglas S. Blank <[hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]>>

   > Doug wrote:
   > Follow-up: I've re-imported the gedcom file into Gramps and it
   seems fine.

   > So, to go back to my original query:
   >
   > Is it possible to strip the Gramps database down to a skeleton
   of Names,
   > DOB and DOD events and Relationships before exporting as a
   gedcom file?

   The easiest way I can think of:

   1) Export in CSV Spreadsheet format. This only exports the main
   details.
   2) Create a new family tree in the Manager
   3) Import from the CSV file
   4) Export in GEDCOM format

   You can probably even write a script that does this using gramps
   command-line flags, but I don't know those very well.

Another possible answer to the question is:

1/ export to .gramps format
2/ unzip the .gramps file, and open the resulting file in a basic editor (gedit, kate, ...)
3/ delete the sections notes and sources
4/ import into a test family tree
5/ run the check and repair tool an this test family tree

Benny

Thanks, Benny and Doug.
Before I saw Benny's post I had already tried Doug's suggestion. This worked nicely and easily: the stripped gedcom database has uploaded to GenesReunited OK.
Is there any way I can help to sort out why the normal database was scrambled on uploading?

If it was not scrambled on reimporting it in an empty family tree in GRAMPS, then the problem is in the website code, which obviously, we do not know how it looks like.

Benny

Doug