Quantcast

Web Connection

rwells1938
I am trying to get the web connection to work. I am using Gramps 3.3.1-1 on a Mac running OSX Lion.

When I right click on the web connection tab in the person view nothing happens.

I suspect that I need to install some type of gramplet? But I have not found the one I need and am not sure how to install it when I find it.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks
Roger

Re: Web Connection

DS Blank
On Thu, Jan 26, 2012 at 9:21 AM, rwells1938 <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I am trying to get the web connection to work. I am using Gramps 3.3.1-1 on a
> Mac running OSX Lion.
>
> When I right click on the web connection tab in the person view nothing
> happens.
>
> I suspect that I need to install some type of gramplet? But I have not found
> the one I need and am not sure how to install it when I find it.
>
> Any help would be appreciated.

Yes, you are correct: you need a "Web Connect Pack":

1) Go to menu -> Edit -> Preferences -> general tab
2) Select on "New and Updated addons"
3) You might have to uncheck "Do not ask about previously notified
addons" if you have previously ignored it
4) Click on "Check now"
5) Look for "FR Web Connect Pack" (for French sites) "DE Web Connect
Pack" (For German), "UK Web Connect Pack" (for United Kingdom), or "US
Web Connect Pack" (for United States). You probably don't want to
install more than one, as there may be duplicate entries.
6) Download the addon, and restart gramps

Then you should see entries in the popup menu.

Hope that helps,

-Doug

> Thanks
> Roger

Re: Web Connection

rwells1938
This post was updated on .
Thanks

I went to the preference and selected the US Web Connect Pack and installed it. The note came back that it had been installed and that I needed to restart gramps.

I then quit gramps and restarted but still have the same problem. When I click on the web connect there is no popup menu.

I then went back and it appeared that I should also need to install a libwebconnect which I then installed. I can see both libwebconnect and the US Web Connect in the plugin manager.

Now I have a drop down menu but when I select to search nothing happens. I have tried most of them with the same result.

Is there some setup that I need to do to make it work? Or maybe I should have installed the libwebconnect first then the US Web Connect Pack?

I am using a iMac OSX Lion.

Roger

Re: Web Connection

DS Blank
On Thu, Jan 26, 2012 at 10:29 AM, rwells1938 <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Thanks
>
> I went to the preference and selected the US Web Connect Pack and installed
> it. The note came back that it had been installed and that I needed to
> restart gramps.
>
> I then quit gramps and restarted but still have the same problem. When I
> click on the web connect there is no popup menu.
>
> I then went back and it appeared that I should also need to install a
> libwebconnect which I then installed. I can see both libwebconnect and the
> US Web Connect in the plugin manager.

Ah yes, I forgot about the libwebconnect dependency.

> Now I have a drop down menu but when I select to search nothing happens. I
> have tried most of them with the same result.
>
> Is there some setup that I need to do to make it work?
>
> I am using a iMac OSX Lion.

Hmmm---your OS is probably indeed the correct thing to look at.

I see that Gramps tries three things to open a webpage (in GrampsDisplay.py):

1) Looks to see if a Python package called "webbrowser" is installed

2) Looks for 'firefox', 'konqueror', 'epiphany', 'galeon', or
'mozilla' in the path

3) Tries the os.startfile command, which probably allows one to say:
    "open http://gramps-project.org" (or similar) and that will open
up the webpage in a browser.

A Gramps user or developer that works on Mac will have to comment on
this issue further.

-Doug

> Roger

Re: Web Connection

rwells1938
This post was updated on .
In my quest to get this working I took a look at the system log.

This message shows when I try to do a web search. This may be why it is not working.

1/27/12 6:53:49.190 PM [0x0-0x19bb9ba].org.gramps-project.gramps: sh: osascript: command not found

I think this is used to run OSA scripts. Maybe it has moved or changed in Lion?

Anyone got any hints as to what I should do?

Thanks
Roger