Web Connections error Gramps 5.1.0

Richard Troxel
Since installing 5.1.0 I get the following error when I try using "right-click" in the people view to get web connections like Find A Grave and FamilySearch.org, etc. Instead of being taken to those sights every option takes me to https://worldconnect.rootsweb.ancestry.com/, a good site but not what I was looking for.

Maybe this could be addressed in 5.1.1?

Re: Web Connections error Gramps 5.1.0

Dave Scheipers
Hi Richard

I filed this bug  https://gramps-project.org/bugs/view.php?id=11280

I was not expecting early results. Thought that not too many users
even aware of this great little tool.

Dave

On Tue, Aug 27, 2019 at 12:07 AM Richard Troxel
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Since installing 5.1.0 I get the following error when I try using "right-click" in the people view to get web connections like Find A Grave and FamilySearch.org, etc. Instead of being taken to those sights every option takes me to https://worldconnect.rootsweb.ancestry.com/, a good site but not what I was looking for.
>
> Maybe this could be addressed in 5.1.1?

Re: Web Connections error Gramps 5.1.0

Dave Scheipers
And Nick Hall just tagged the bug as a target for 5.1.1.

On Tue, Aug 27, 2019 at 7:15 AM Dave Scheipers <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi Richard
>
> I filed this bug  https://gramps-project.org/bugs/view.php?id=11280
>
> I was not expecting early results. Thought that not too many users
> even aware of this great little tool.
>
> Dave
>
> On Tue, Aug 27, 2019 at 12:07 AM Richard Troxel
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > Since installing 5.1.0 I get the following error when I try using "right-click" in the people view to get web connections like Find A Grave and FamilySearch.org, etc. Instead of being taken to those sights every option takes me to https://worldconnect.rootsweb.ancestry.com/, a good site but not what I was looking for.
> >
> > Maybe this could be addressed in 5.1.1?

Re: Web Connections error Gramps 5.1.0

Richard Troxel
Thanks, Dave! Yes, it is a great little tool, I use it almost every day.

On Tue, Aug 27, 2019 at 6:39 AM Dave Scheipers <[hidden email]> wrote:
And Nick Hall just tagged the bug as a target for 5.1.1.

On Tue, Aug 27, 2019 at 7:15 AM Dave Scheipers <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi Richard
>
> I filed this bug  https://gramps-project.org/bugs/view.php?id=11280
>
> I was not expecting early results. Thought that not too many users
> even aware of this great little tool.
>
> Dave
>
> On Tue, Aug 27, 2019 at 12:07 AM Richard Troxel
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > Since installing 5.1.0 I get the following error when I try using "right-click" in the people view to get web connections like Find A Grave and FamilySearch.org, etc. Instead of being taken to those sights every option takes me to https://worldconnect.rootsweb.ancestry.com/, a good site but not what I was looking for.
> >
> > Maybe this could be addressed in 5.1.1?

Re: Web Connections error Gramps 5.1.0

Dave Scheipers
Not sure if you are tracking the bug I filed (
https://gramps-project.org/bugs/view.php?id=11280 ) but Nick H has
come up with the fix. You can edit your file and get the functionality
back before the next Gramps release.

Dave

On Tue, Aug 27, 2019 at 9:49 AM Richard Troxel <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Thanks, Dave! Yes, it is a great little tool, I use it almost every day.
>
> On Tue, Aug 27, 2019 at 6:39 AM Dave Scheipers <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> And Nick Hall just tagged the bug as a target for 5.1.1.
>>
>> On Tue, Aug 27, 2019 at 7:15 AM Dave Scheipers <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> >
>> > Hi Richard
>> >
>> > I filed this bug  https://gramps-project.org/bugs/view.php?id=11280
>> >
>> > I was not expecting early results. Thought that not too many users
>> > even aware of this great little tool.
>> >
>> > Dave

Re: Web Connections error Gramps 5.1.0

Richard Troxel
Thanks! This was over my head. I will have to wait for the paperback version.

On Wed, Aug 28, 2019 at 11:44 AM Dave Scheipers <[hidden email]> wrote:
Not sure if you are tracking the bug I filed (
https://gramps-project.org/bugs/view.php?id=11280 ) but Nick H has
come up with the fix. You can edit your file and get the functionality
back before the next Gramps release.

Dave

On Tue, Aug 27, 2019 at 9:49 AM Richard Troxel <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Thanks, Dave! Yes, it is a great little tool, I use it almost every day.
>
> On Tue, Aug 27, 2019 at 6:39 AM Dave Scheipers <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> And Nick Hall just tagged the bug as a target for 5.1.1.
>>
>> On Tue, Aug 27, 2019 at 7:15 AM Dave Scheipers <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> >
>> > Hi Richard
>> >
>> > I filed this bug  https://gramps-project.org/bugs/view.php?id=11280
>> >
>> > I was not expecting early results. Thought that not too many users
>> > even aware of this great little tool.
>> >
>> > Dave

Re: Web Connections error Gramps 5.1.0

Simon C. Tremblay
First off, sorry to resurrect this thread, just catching up from my vacation.

@Dave Scheipers, are you the one maintaining the web connect plugin?  It is quite useful and I use it quite often.

About the localised webconnect package, how would I proceed to submit changes to the French langage one, and also submit a French Canadian package that would contain a mix of Canada/France links? Can I jusr open a bug report and attach my updated/new files to it? I know of pull requests and stuff from the repo, but it looks intimidating for a non-dev like me.  I'm afraid to mess things up in there.

Any guidance would be appreciated.

Regards,

Simon

On Wed, 28 Aug 2019 at 20:05, Richard Troxel <[hidden email]> wrote:
Thanks! This was over my head. I will have to wait for the paperback version.

On Wed, Aug 28, 2019 at 11:44 AM Dave Scheipers <[hidden email]> wrote:
Not sure if you are tracking the bug I filed (
https://gramps-project.org/bugs/view.php?id=11280 ) but Nick H has
come up with the fix. You can edit your file and get the functionality
back before the next Gramps release.

Dave

On Tue, Aug 27, 2019 at 9:49 AM Richard Troxel <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Thanks, Dave! Yes, it is a great little tool, I use it almost every day.
>
> On Tue, Aug 27, 2019 at 6:39 AM Dave Scheipers <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> And Nick Hall just tagged the bug as a target for 5.1.1.
>>
>> On Tue, Aug 27, 2019 at 7:15 AM Dave Scheipers <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> >
>> > Hi Richard
>> >
>> > I filed this bug  https://gramps-project.org/bugs/view.php?id=11280
>> >
>> > I was not expecting early results. Thought that not too many users
>> > even aware of this great little tool.
>> >
>> > Dave

Re: Web Connections error Gramps 5.1.0

Dave Scheipers
Sorry, I did not create or maintain the web connect apps. Way above my
abilities. I just checked, for all the packages, no author is
credited.

I too find it a very useful tool.

I created (actually copied the US pack) my own MYWebConnectPack and
replaced all the links with the ones I find useful taking from each of
the four packages and creating a few of my own. I hide the main four
packs so just my list appears. When I first discovered the tool, there
were multiple versions of the same links because the same link was
contained in each pack. Once I figured out what was happening, I found
out I could hide three leaving just one. After a new US pack was
installed overwriting my list, I hit upon creating my own pack.

Probably the easiest way is to create a bug report and submit your new
recommended links. The same with a French/Canadian pack although
personally, I think Gramps would be better served having only one Pack
with all the links. But then there are those users who could never see
themselves editing a code file to prune out the links they would never
use which is an argument to have multiple pre-edited packs

I will see which of my links should be added to packs and add them to
your report.

In case you have not checked after being on vacation, the new 5.1.1
has been released and the tool works.

Dave

.