Web pages without notes

renehasekamp
Hello,

I want to publish web pages of my family history, but using the export
facilities of Gramps gives me only pages including all the notes and
references only (as far as I can see).
My notes, however, contain lots of remarks that are not meant to be
read by the whole world. The sources sometimes contain private
communications by third parties, also not meant for the whole world.
So, Is there a way to generate web pages from Gramps without the notes
and the sources?
Removing all the notes and sources by hand seems a hell of a job and
would have to be repeated with every update.

Rene.

Re: Web pages without notes

Brad Rogers
On Thu, 24 Sep 2009 11:01:22 +0200
Rene Hasekamp <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hello Rene,

> Removing all the notes and sources by hand seems a hell of a job and
> would have to be repeated with every update.

There's no need;  Mark them as "Private";  Look for the padlock on the
note/source/whatever.

--
 Regards  _

This is the fifty first state of the USA
Heartland - The The

Re: Web pages without notes

Duncan Lithgow-5
2009/9/24 Rene Hasekamp <[hidden email]>:
> My notes, however, contain lots of remarks that are not meant to be
> read by the whole world. The sources sometimes contain private
> communications by third parties, also not meant for the whole world.

I suggest you keep the source public and put the more private
information in a private note, see below.

> So, Is there a way to generate web pages from Gramps without the notes
> and the sources?
> Removing all the notes and sources by hand seems a hell of a job and
> would have to be repeated with every update.

Rene

The notes and sources are regarded as an important part of the
information, so there is no option to leave them out of the Narrative
Web Report. However anything which is marked 'Private' (look for the
little padlock) will not be included in the website. That's the
intended way to keep some things away from the public.

HTH, Duncan

--
Linux user #372812 | http://lithgow-schmidt.dk

Re: Web pages without notes

Cedric Scott
On Thursday 24 September 2009 10:01:22 Rene Hasekamp wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I want to publish web pages of my family history, but using the export
> facilities of Gramps gives me only pages including all the notes and
> references only (as far as I can see).
> My notes, however, contain lots of remarks that are not meant to be
> read by the whole world. The sources sometimes contain private
> communications by third parties, also not meant for the whole world.
> So, Is there a way to generate web pages from Gramps without the notes
> and the sources?
> Removing all the notes and sources by hand seems a hell of a job and
> would have to be repeated with every update.
>
> Rene.

Rene,

You can mark any note, event, source etc as private by clicking on the padlock
icon. When you generate the web pages there is an option not to include
private records. It's a hassle going through them all but it does work.

Cedric

Re: Web pages without notes

Duncan Lithgow-5
Rene, how's that for a convincing reply! Three of us said exactly the
same thing before seeing the other's messages!

Duncan

--
Linux user #372812 | http://lithgow-schmidt.dk

Re: Web pages without notes

Brad Rogers
On Thu, 24 Sep 2009 15:01:49 +0200
Duncan Lithgow <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hello Duncan,

> Rene, how's that for a convincing reply! Three of us said exactly the
> same thing before seeing the other's messages!

Indeed.  How often is there a consensus in here?   :-)

--
 Regards  _

The public gets what the public wants
Going Underground - The Jam

Re: Web pages without notes

Robert Chéramy
Hello Rene,

> Removing all the notes and sources by hand seems a hell of a job and
> would have to be repeated with every update.

In the xml export (also gedcom), you can apply a filter on notes (I had
the same problem and modified the export some months ago,  this
functionality is present in the latest gramps release).

As the filter "not(any notes)" does not work (I never could find out
why), I advise you to create a filter matching notes containig "!$§%"
and apply it to your export.

There is no possibility to apply a filter on references (yet). Some day
I shal find some time ;-)

Cheers,

tibob

Re: Web pages without notes

renehasekamp
Thanks everybody. I will see how making some events private will work
out for me.
Great assistance here!

Rene.

Re: Web pages without notes

Martin Goose-2
On Thu, 24 Sep 2009 10:52:08 +0100, Cedric Scott wrote:

> You can mark any note, event, source etc as private by clicking on the
> padlock icon. When you generate the web pages there is an option not to
> include private records. It's a hassle going through them all but it
> does work.

It is a 'big' hassle especially as the locked attribute cannot be shown
in a column in the notes view. It is even worse for address data as there
is no address view.

I used to hack the python code to not display notes or addresses but got
fed up with having to change each version as it was updated. I still
think that a switch to inhibit using the notes and address fields would
be a useful addition to the code.

--
Martin Goose --- "Engineering is the art of modelling materials we do not
wholly understand, into shapes we cannot precisely analyse, so as to

Re: Web pages without notes

Duncan Lithgow-5
2009/9/30 Martin Goose <[hidden email]>:
> It is a 'big' hassle especially as the locked attribute cannot be shown
> in a column in the notes view.
That sounds like a good case for a request for enhancement. Would you
like to file that on the bug tracker?

> It is even worse for address data as there
> is no address view.
That sounds like a very good point, any idea what could be done about
that? I think the aim is to do away with the address view eventually
by improving the places objects.

Duncan

On Wed, 30 Sep 2009 20:29:14 +0200, Duncan Lithgow wrote:

> 2009/9/30 Martin Goose <[hidden email]>:
>> It is a 'big' hassle especially as the locked attribute cannot be shown
>> in a column in the notes view.
> That sounds like a good case for a request for enhancement. Would you
> like to file that on the bug tracker?

Done!