Web site upload

Theo Carr-Brion
What is is easiest reliable way to upload a large GRAMPS web site on linux to
a ftp server? I am using konqueror to recursively copy the files but it comes
up with errors sometimes and the only option is to skip or cancel and I
wonder if I am missing some files.

Thanks,

Theo Carr-Brion

Re: Web site upload

Brad Rogers
On Sun, 30 Oct 2005 19:54:08 +0000
Theo Carr-Brion <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hello Theo,

> What is is easiest reliable way to upload a large GRAMPS web site on
> linux to a ftp server? I am using konqueror to recursively copy the
> files but it comes up with errors sometimes and the only option is to
> skip or cancel and I wonder if I am missing some files.

I use gFTP.  Being a dedicated FTP package, it has better options than
konq.  IMO, of course.  With gFTP, once your transfers are complete,
it's possible to "compare windows" as the menu item is labelled.  This
will highlight any discrepancy in size, etc. at both local and remote
hosts.  As a result, you can resend any truncated files, etc.

--
  Regards  _
          / )        "The blindingly obvious is

Re: Web site upload

Don Allingham
I've found "sitecopy" to be invaluable. It is a simple command line
program that can keep an entire site up to date easily. It can use ftp
and webdav.

What is really nice is that it only updates files that change. You don't
have to copy entire sites. And since it uses checksums instead of
timestamps, it works very well with GRAMPS generated files - even if the
file is overwritten, if the content hasn't changed, the file won't be
copied.

Once you are set up, all you have to do is:

$ sitecopy --update <sitename>

Don

On Sun, 2005-10-30 at 21:52 +0000, Brad Rogers wrote:

> On Sun, 30 Oct 2005 19:54:08 +0000
> Theo Carr-Brion <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hello Theo,
>
> > What is is easiest reliable way to upload a large GRAMPS web site on
> > linux to a ftp server? I am using konqueror to recursively copy the
> > files but it comes up with errors sometimes and the only option is to
> > skip or cancel and I wonder if I am missing some files.
>
> I use gFTP.  Being a dedicated FTP package, it has better options than
> konq.  IMO, of course.  With gFTP, once your transfers are complete,
> it's possible to "compare windows" as the menu item is labelled.  This
> will highlight any discrepancy in size, etc. at both local and remote
> hosts.  As a result, you can resend any truncated files, etc.
>
> --
>   Regards  _
>           / )        "The blindingly obvious is
>          / _)rad     never immediately apparent"
--
Don Allingham
http://don.allingham.org

Re: Web site upload

Brad Rogers
On Sun, 30 Oct 2005 15:42:03 -0700
Don Allingham <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hello Don,

> I've found "sitecopy" to be invaluable. It is a simple command line

Looks interesting.  Thanks for the tip.

--
  Regards  _
          / )        "The blindingly obvious is
         / _)rad     never immediately apparent"

Re: Web site upload

Graeme Nichols
Don Allingham wrote:

> I've found "sitecopy" to be invaluable. It is a simple command line
> program that can keep an entire site up to date easily. It can use ftp
> and webdav.
>
> What is really nice is that it only updates files that change. You don't
> have to copy entire sites. And since it uses checksums instead of
> timestamps, it works very well with GRAMPS generated files - even if the
> file is overwritten, if the content hasn't changed, the file won't be
> copied.
>
> Once you are set up, all you have to do is:
>
> $ sitecopy --update <sitename>
>
> Don

Hello Don, Brad,

I have downloaded an RPM for FC3, it installed OK on my FC4 system, but
I cannot get it to work at all. My .sitecopyrc file is below. Can you
tell me where I have it wrong please?

site Nichols
          server ww4.tpg.com.au
          url www4.tpg.com.au
          username gnichols
          password xxxxxxxx
          local /home/graeme/
          remote /
          exclude *.bak
          exclude *~

The www4.tpg.com.au works just fine in gFTP or in CL ftp. I can log into
my web site using my browser using the URL
ftp://[hidden email]. Setting that as the server and URL
doesn't work either. It just sits there with no traffic happening. I am
testing it with the command sitecopy -l Nichols as I don't want anything
uploaded or changed just yet.

My apologies if this is not relevant here.

Kind regards,

Graeme.
Download my GnuPG public key from:-
http://www.users.tpg.com.au/gnichols/graemenichols.pub

It does not do to leave a live dragon out of your calculations.

Re: Web site upload

Brad Rogers
On Thu, 12 Oct 2006 15:16:53 +1000
Graeme Nichols <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hello Graeme,

> The www4.tpg.com.au works just fine in gFTP or in CL ftp. I can log
> into my web site using my browser using the URL
> ftp://[hidden email]. Setting that as the server and URL

I don't use sitecopy, but I /think/ you need "users.tpg.com.au" as the
url, rather than gnichols@.... unless I've misunderstood what you
mean.

> My apologies if this is not relevant here.

I can't answer that;  I'm not list admin.   :-)

--
 Regards  _

The stakes were high but the danger low
Charade - Skids

Re: Web site upload

Graeme Nichols
Brad Rogers wrote:

> On Thu, 12 Oct 2006 15:16:53 +1000
> Graeme Nichols <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hello Graeme,
>

>>The www4.tpg.com.au works just fine in gFTP or in CL ftp. I can log
>>into my web site using my browser using the URL
>>ftp://[hidden email]. Setting that as the server and URL
>

> I don't use sitecopy, but I /think/ you need "users.tpg.com.au" as the
> url, rather than gnichols@.... unless I've misunderstood what you
> mean.

Hi Brad, thank you. All working now.

Kind regards,

Graeme.
Download my GnuPG public key from:-
http://www.users.tpg.com.au/gnichols/graemenichols.pub

Re: Web site upload

Brad Rogers
On Sat, 14 Oct 2006 15:33:05 +1000
Graeme Nichols <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hello Graeme,

> Hi Brad, thank you. All working now.

You're welcome.  Glad it worked out.

--
 Regards  _

I'll tell you something, I think that you should know
Rich Kids - Rich Kids