Website design -Download Option etc.

John Whitehand
I have a number (14) HTML files & tables that are presently on my website.
http://www.vicnet.net.au/~whitehaj/welcome.htm .
I would like to link these to the Index page of the narrative report(
which would seem quite cumbersome) particularly when added to some 200
graphic files.

  Because the size of the combined site( some 100 mbytes) would stretch
the relationship with my friendly HOST..I am looking at alternatives..
(without going "over the top" economically or technically)

[ At present I am toying with the idea of burning the entire content of
a website to CD for distribution to selected family as they express
interest as an alternative to a comprehensive "on-line" site]
  I would appreciate any ideas...
BTW how was it intended  the  "Download" option be used ?.

regards,
  John
--
John Whitehand
Melbourne

                     ~ a Linux (Fedora Core 4) Desktop ~

Re: Website design -Download Option etc.

Alex Roitman
John,

On Tue, 2006-01-17 at 17:11 +1100, John Whitehand wrote:

> I have a number (14) HTML files & tables that are presently on my website.
> http://www.vicnet.net.au/~whitehaj/welcome.htm .
> I would like to link these to the Index page of the narrative report(
> which would seem quite cumbersome) particularly when added to some 200
> graphic files.
>
>   Because the size of the combined site( some 100 mbytes) would stretch
> the relationship with my friendly HOST..I am looking at alternatives..
> (without going "over the top" economically or technically)
>
> [ At present I am toying with the idea of burning the entire content of
> a website to CD for distribution to selected family as they express
> interest as an alternative to a comprehensive "on-line" site]
>   I would appreciate any ideas...
Is this the question of bandwidth to transfer the data to the server,
or the question of disk space needed to host the site? If former,
the CD will work just fine. Also, using a tarball to pack and compress
the site would help, but then you would need to be able to unpack
it on the server. If the latter, then I don't see what can be done here.

You are always welcome to use library.gramps-project.org, but 100MB
seems like a bit too much :-) Maybe you can use lower-resolution
copies of images?

> BTW how was it intended  the  "Download" option be used ?.

It's completely up to the user. The foreseen use is to place e.g.
GEDCOM or gramps XML file for others to grab. But it really can be
anything.

Alex