What are the real requirement for running Gramps

What are the real requirement for running Gramps

GRAMPS - User mailing list
The FAQ Gramplet is being revised to fix broken links. But much of the FAQ wiki page is horribly dated.

FAQs tend to only be used by novice users. And a FAQ's oversimplifications tend to annoy advanced users. (The format calls for superficial summaries.)

How about if we discuss them one at a time?

What are the minimum specs for running Gramps?

The wiki listed requirements are largely unchanged since Gramps 3.0 and are wildly outdated.

Disk requirements are frighteningly inaccurate because they are from the uncompressed XML days.

The display spec had been updated to an odd misquote of 1080p ( 1920 x 1080 Full High Definition). It seems quite arbitrarily... the 'at least' being related to no particular criteria for showing all the GUI without scrolling. Simply a 'more is better'

Note:1080p was a widescreen spec introduced 2007. So the 'requirement' was a probably bowing to marketing hyperbole about 'modern' products having to be 1080p

From

"We would recommend at least an 1980x1080 video display. The early memory requirements for Gramps were quite high. Beginning with Gramps 3.0, the software could run quite efficiently on a 256MB system, holding considerably more people. A system with 512MB should be able to hold around 200,000 people. However, disk space requirements for databases are considerably larger, with a typical database being several megabytes in size. For 120,000 people you must consider already 530MB for the database. Pictures are stored on disk separately, so a large harddisk is necessary."

Re: What are the real requirement for running Gramps

GRAMPS - User mailing list
On 5/22/2020 10:20 AM, Emyoulation--- via Gramps-users wrote:
 > ...much of the FAQ wiki page is horribly dated.
 > How about if we discuss them one at a time?
 >
 > What are the minimum specs for running Gramps?

Does Gramps have any significant requirements beyond those required to
run the operating system hosting it?  Only those might warrant
documentation. If any spec is being documented, it would be good to
document it for each platform.

As you said, the display resolution 1920x1080 is quite arbitrary, and in
fact, moving Gramps to my secondary monitor running at 1280x1024 works
just fine.  I haven't found any windows/dialogs which don't fit.

--
Himanshu

Re: What are the real requirement for running Gramps

GRAMPS - User mailing list

The largest window I've noted are in the Preferences: General, Colors & Genealogical Symbols all consume excessive horizontal space. (Vertical layout is expected to scroll)

I have a 1600x900 laptop screen and the Colors tab requires some vertical scrolling. It looks like the minimum is about 1,118x732.

The Plug-in Manager Enhanced won't resize smaller than 1,564 pixels wide on my screen, but I suspect that just a function of the available screen size.

The Windows section of the downloads still mentions WinXP. But with XP 'compliance' calls for designing for 800x600. Microsoft ended support for XP in 2014. Extended support for Windows 7 ended the the 14th of January this year. It might be time to move the XP portion to a legacy area.

-Brian

On Sun, May 24, 2020 at 20:19, H Gohel via Gramps-users

On 25/05/2020 17:54, Emyoulation--- via Gramps-users wrote:
I have a 1600x900 laptop screen and the Colors tab requires some vertical scrolling. It looks like the minimum is about 1,118x732.

Gramps is designed to be usable on a 800x600 resolution screen.  See the UI style guidelines:

https://gramps-project.org/wiki/index.php/UI_style

Re: What are the real requirement for running Gramps

Chris Wood
600px vertical resolution is also below the minimum required for Ubuntu and its derivatives. I installed Lubuntu the other day on a retired ieepc (with a 1024×600 display) in response to another thread and found that some system windows don't fit vertically. I think the minimum is now 768px.

On Mon, 25 May 2020 at 17:56, Emyoulation--- via Gramps-users <[hidden email]> wrote:

The largest window I've noted are in the Preferences: General, Colors & Genealogical Symbols all consume excessive horizontal space. (Vertical layout is expected to scroll)

I have a 1600x900 laptop screen and the Colors tab requires some vertical scrolling. It looks like the minimum is about 1,118x732.

The Plug-in Manager Enhanced won't resize smaller than 1,564 pixels wide on my screen, but I suspect that just a function of the available screen size.

The Windows section of the downloads still mentions WinXP. But with XP 'compliance' calls for designing for 800x600. Microsoft ended support for XP in 2014. Extended support for Windows 7 ended the the 14th of January this year. It might be time to move the XP portion to a legacy area.

-Brian

On Sun, May 24, 2020 at 20:19, H Gohel via Gramps-users
On 5/22/2020 10:20 AM, Emyoulation--- via Gramps-users wrote:
> ...much of the FAQ wiki page is horribly dated.
>
> What are the minimum specs for running Gramps?

Does Gramps have any significant requirements beyond those required to run the operating system hosting it?  Only those might warrant documentation. If any spec is being documented, it would be good to document it for each platform.

As you said, the display resolution 1920x1080 is quite arbitrary, and in fact, moving Gramps to my secondary monitor running at 1280x1024 works just fine.  I haven't found any windows/dialogs which don't fit.

Re: What are the real requirement for running Gramps

I there somebody on the list who still has access to a 800x600 and/or 1024x768 screen? It would've nice to have screen snaps of how those big Preferences tabs & the 'Plug-in Manager Enhanced' window adapt themselves to the tighter screen space!

Pressing the Escape key cancels out of any floating Windows.

According to the keybindings page, only Windows has an equivalent set for the OK button (Alt-O)

-Brian

On Mon, May 25, 2020 at 12:51, Nick Hall via Gramps-users a

Gramps is designed to be usable on a 800x600 resolution screen.  See the UI style guidelines:

https://gramps-project.org/wiki/index.php/UI_style

Re: What are the real requirement for running Gramps

Dave Scheipers
You can revert your own display (at least in windows). Right-click within the display then select display settings. There will be an option for Display resolution. Both 800x600 and 1024x768 were available.to select.

My Preferences was larger than the screen area (800x600). And the Enhanced Plugin was wider than the resolution. But I am running with two monitors and have altered the column widths in plugin to know if that has any effect on my interactions with the windows.

Dave

On Mon, May 25, 2020 at 2:41 PM Emyoulation--- via Gramps-users <[hidden email]> wrote:
I there somebody on the list who still has access to a 800x600 and/or 1024x768 screen? It would've nice to have screen snaps of how those big Preferences tabs & the 'Plug-in Manager Enhanced' window adapt themselves to the tighter screen space!

Pressing the Escape key cancels out of any floating Windows.

According to the keybindings page, only Windows has an equivalent set for the OK button (Alt-O)

-Brian

On Mon, May 25, 2020 at 12:51, Nick Hall via Gramps-users a

Gramps is designed to be usable on a 800x600 resolution screen.  See the UI style guidelines:

https://gramps-project.org/wiki/index.php/UI_style

Re: What are the real requirement for running Gramps

GRAMPS - User mailing list
They were dimmed out on my laptop. Had to jump through some hoops with the graphics driver. (And disconnect my 2nd monitor, of course.)

Thought I was screwed when sidebars, Preferences and a bunch of other Windows wouldn't appear.  But, evidently, Gramps doesn't check for a virtual resolution reduction. (The 2nd screen just expands the coordinate system.) Just had to go to the right subfolder in the %AppData%/Gramps directory & delete the view, sidebar & Bottombar .ini files plus the Interfaces chunk from the gramps.ini

The Plugin Manager Enhanced rescaled as hoped. But the Preferences is a pretty ugly situation.

-Brian

On Mon, May 25, 2020 at 14:07, Dave Scheipers
[...]

Thank Paul & Nick!

Looking forward to it! Sounds like the next enhancement release is shaping up to have a lot of refinements. Will there be a 5.1.3 for the bug fixes or will they be rolled into 5.2?

-Brian

On Mon, May 25, 2020 at 15:59, Paul Culley
[...]

We currently have about 15 committed bug fixes and another half dozen or so pending ones on Gramps 5.1.x branch.  It seems likely we will have a 5.1.3 release relatively soon.

Even though we try to have a major release each summer, I hope it will be a while yet for 5.2.x, as there is a lot of work pending for that.

Paul C.

On 5/25/2020 12:54 PM, Emyoulation--- via Gramps-users wrote:

 > The Plug-in Manager Enhanced won't resize smaller than 1,564 pixels
 > wide on my screen, but I suspect that just a function of the available
 > screen size.

So far 1280x1024 doesn't seem to present any problems, but I don't have
the Enhanced Plugin Manager installed.

On 5/25/2020 4:59 PM, Paul Culley wrote:
 > The Preferences has a fix as part of the
 > https://github.com/gramps-project/gramps/pull/996 Symbols enhancement.
 > Should be back to fit in 800x600.
 >
 > Paul C.

If 800x600 is the requirement, on Windows;
"Person" window cannot be resized smaller than 827x440.
"Family" window 829x427
"Place" window 1039x425

There are likely several Reports windows which might violate that
requirement. Even if WinXP requirements are ignored, GNOME 3's portrait
mode and half-screen snap may also be difficult to satisfy
(https://developer.gnome.org/hig/stable/display-compatibility.html.en)

--
Himanshu

Re: What are the real requirement for running Gramps

prculley
If 800x600 is the requirement, on Windows;
"Person" window cannot be resized smaller than 827x440.
"Family" window 829x427
"Place" window 1039x425
On my system these are all much smaller than that.  Are you running Gramps in another language?  It seems possible that longer labels could cause these to be larger.  If so, we may want to look at fixing the translations in some fashion.

On 5/27/2020 9:09 AM, Paul Culley wrote:
>     If 800x600 is the requirement, on Windows;
>     "Person" window cannot be resized smaller than 827x440.
>     "Family" window 829x427
>     "Place" window 1039x425
>
> On my system these are all much smaller than that.  Are you running
> Gramps in another language?  It seems possible that longer labels could
> cause these to be larger.  If so, we may want to look at fixing the
> translations in some fashion.

Hi Paul,

I'm running Gramps 5.1.2 on Windows 10, English (US). After making the
windows as small as possible, I queried window sizes using Visual
Studio's Spy++ tool.

Oddly, today when I measured the windows again, Place window was
resizable to 995x425 instead of the previous 1039x425, and a Family
window was larger than measured previously.  Turns out it the minimum
size seems to depend on the contents, so if this was important at all,
the measurements should be made with empty windows to check absolute
minimum size.

--
Himanshu