What are your Frequently Asked Questions?

What are your Frequently Asked Questions?

DS Blank
GRAMPS users,

As we get ready for the release of GRAMPS 3.1, we're finishing up a feature request: create a Gramplet that lists a set of Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ) and their answers. This information will also appear here:

http://gramps-project.org/wiki/index.php?title=Gramps_3.1_Wiki_Manual_-_FAQ

So, what are the questions that you have had, frequently or not, about how to do something in GRAMPS? What questions did you have at one time (or still do) about GRAMPS functionality?

Here are some that seem to be common, and that I often need to read the help:

1. What is the difference between a residence and an address?
2. How do you order children and spouses?
3. How do I upgrade GRAMPS?
4. How do I create a website with my genealogical data?

What issues (small or large) have slowed you down in GRAMPS? Please answer in the form of a question :)

Thanks!

-Doug

Re: What are your Frequently Asked Questions?

Peter Landgren

> GRAMPS users,

> As we get ready for the release of GRAMPS 3.1, we're finishing up a feature

> request: create a Gramplet that lists a set of Frequently Asked Questions

> (FAQ) and their answers. This information will also appear here:

> http://gramps-project.org/wiki/index.php?title=Gramps_3.1_Wiki_Manual_-_FAQ

> So, what are the questions that you have had, frequently or not, about how

> to do something in GRAMPS? What questions did you have at one time (or

> still do) about GRAMPS functionality?

> Here are some that seem to be common, and that I often need to read the

> help:

> 1. What is the difference between a residence and an address?

> 2. How do you order children and spouses?

> 3. How do I upgrade GRAMPS?

> 4. How do I create a website with my genealogical data?

> What issues (small or large) have slowed you down in GRAMPS? Please answer

> in the form of a question :)

> Thanks!

> -Doug

5. How do I take backups safely.

/Peter

Re: What are your Frequently Asked Questions?

Jim Winfrey
Doug,

1. Definition on how the Event Description field should be used.  Is
it just for repeating the name of the event or is it for adding
additional info to the event?

2. How are place names supposed to be used?  Do we put Local Site
(cemetery, etc) in the Description at the top of the field with place
definition below, or should just the local site be in the Description?

More later....

Jim

On Sat, Jan 31, 2009 at 11:05 AM, Doug Blank <[hidden email]> wrote:

> GRAMPS users,
>
> As we get ready for the release of GRAMPS 3.1, we're finishing up a feature request: create a Gramplet that lists a set of Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ) and their answers. This information will also appear here:
>
> http://gramps-project.org/wiki/index.php?title=Gramps_3.1_Wiki_Manual_-_FAQ
>
> So, what are the questions that you have had, frequently or not, about how to do something in GRAMPS? What questions did you have at one time (or still do) about GRAMPS functionality?
>
> Here are some that seem to be common, and that I often need to read the help:
>
> 1. What is the difference between a residence and an address?
> 2. How do you order children and spouses?
> 3. How do I upgrade GRAMPS?
> 4. How do I create a website with my genealogical data?
>
> What issues (small or large) have slowed you down in GRAMPS? Please answer in the form of a question :)
>
> Thanks!
>
> -Doug

Re: What are your Frequently Asked Questions?

Laura Mellen-2
I am someone that does not have the time to use GRAMPS often at all. (not by choice, life gets in the way) I find that new updates to GRAMPS come out multiple times before I can even try the previous version. This may not be a question for the Wiki...but it's my question ;0

Is it necessary to update GRAMPS every time an update/version is released?

Thank you!
Laura (who is still on the first version of 3)

On Sat, Jan 31, 2009 at 10:05 AM, Doug Blank <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Stéphane Charette-2

> 5. How do I take backups safely.

Ooh, this is an important one!  :)  To anyone who doesn't know the
answer, please take a quick peek at this page:

http://www.gramps-project.org/wiki/index.php?title=How_to_make_a_backup

Stéphane

Re: What are your Frequently Asked Questions?

Peter Biesinger
Doug,
me, I frequently ask myself why occupation (in German; Beruf) is listed under
event. Shouldn't it be an attribute? Do I miss the logic behind it (or didn't
I read the wiki thoroughly enough :-))?

Peter

> Am Samstag 31 Januar 2009 17:05:54 schrieb Doug Blank:
> GRAMPS users,
>
> As we get ready for the release of GRAMPS 3.1, we're finishing up a feature
> request: create a Gramplet that lists a set of Frequently Asked Questions
> (FAQ) and their answers. This information will also appear here:
>
> http://gramps-project.org/wiki/index.php?title=Gramps_3.1_Wiki_Manual_-_FAQ
>
> So, what are the questions that you have had, frequently or not, about how
> to do something in GRAMPS? What questions did you have at one time (or
> still do) about GRAMPS functionality?
>
> Here are some that seem to be common, and that I often need to read the
> help:
>
> 1. What is the difference between a residence and an address?
> 2. How do you order children and spouses?
> 3. How do I upgrade GRAMPS?
> 4. How do I create a website with my genealogical data?
>
> What issues (small or large) have slowed you down in GRAMPS? Please answer
> in the form of a question :)
>
> Thanks!
>
> -Doug

Re: What are your Frequently Asked Questions?

Brad Rogers
On Sat, 31 Jan 2009 19:02:37 +0100
Peter Biesinger <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hello Peter,

> me, I frequently ask myself why occupation (in German; Beruf) is
> listed under event. Shouldn't it be an attribute? Do I miss the logic

An occupation is something one does and therefore is an event, even
though the event can last for 40 or more years.  An attribute is
something, height for example, one has.

At least, that's how I see it.

--
 Regards  _

I'll tell you something, I think that you should know
Rich Kids - Rich Kids

Re: What are your Frequently Asked Questions?

Peter Biesinger

Brad,
thanks for your clarification. Occupation and the German Beruf are obviously
not exactly the same. I will go to the attributes and add a
profession/vocation item. This is what I actually need for my ancestors.

Peter

> On Sat, 31 Jan 2009 19:02:37 +0100
> Peter Biesinger <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hello Peter,
>
> > me, I frequently ask myself why occupation (in German; Beruf) is
> > listed under event. Shouldn't it be an attribute? Do I miss the logic
>
> An occupation is something one does and therefore is an event, even
> though the event can last for 40 or more years.  An attribute is
> something, height for example, one has.
>
> At least, that's how I see it.

Re: What are your Frequently Asked Questions?

Duncan Lithgow-5
2009/1/31 Peter Biesinger <[hidden email]>:

> Brad,
> thanks for your clarification. Occupation and the German Beruf are obviously
> not exactly the same.

Occupation is what someone does, "Beruf" would be 'trade' or 'skill',
but we don't usually use those concepts except in special
circumstances. My occupation (dass was ich mache) could be student,
even though I'm trained as an architect (beruf).

HTH, Duncan

Re: What are your Frequently Asked Questions?

Martin Goose-2
On Sat, 31 Jan 2009 11:05:54 -0500, Doug Blank wrote:

> So, what are the questions that you have had, frequently or not, about
> how to do something in GRAMPS? What questions did you have at one time
> (or still do) about GRAMPS functionality?

How to extract a set of related individuals from one database (deleting
them from database one) and then importing them into database two (the
easy bit)?

I assume that I can set a filter and do the export but can I delete
everyone found and exported by that filter afterwards?

This may not be a FAQ but it is something I think about from time to time!

--
Martin Goose --- "Engineering is the art of modelling materials we do not
wholly understand, into shapes we cannot precisely analyse, so as to

Re: What are your Frequently Asked Questions?

Johan Vromans
Doug Blank <[hidden email]> writes:

> What questions did you have at one time (or still
> do) about GRAMPS functionality?

Well, since you ask for it...

Johan Vromans <[hidden email]> writes:

> Espen Berg <[hidden email]> writes:
> > Johan Vromans <[hidden email]> writes:
> > > When starting GRAMPS I always get these messages:
> > >
> > >    Opened successfully!
> > >    Database is locked, cannot open it!
> > >      Info: Locked by [hidden email]
>
> > If the database is locked ... You can just break the lock (as you
> > probably did)
>
> It is not. I do not need to break any locks. Anything functions
> normal. It's just that I *always* get this message, even when GRAMPS
> has been shutdown properly.

Not really a FAQ, but it sill puzzles me.

-- Johan

Re: What are your Frequently Asked Questions?

Theo Tulley
My proposed question is:
How should information about marriage/partnership be entered.
Most of my families came in a gedcom from Family Tree Maker. Some
marriages need correction - where do I do it?

About occupation: not necessarily the same throughout life! My paternal
G-grandfather moved through servant>coachman>fly-driver>fly-proprietor.
I've seen other changes too between successive censuses.
Yours sincerely,

Theo Tulley.
[hidden email]
SFHG Member No: 11619

Current name interests: Blyth (pre-1870),
Copper (pre-1791), Nottingham (pre-1736),
Pope (pre-1791), Spooner (pre-1840; Essex);
Tulley (pre 1540), Wiltshire (pre-1834, Essex).
<snip>

Re: What are your Frequently Asked Questions?

Tony Gordon
On Sat, 2009-01-31 at 11:05 -0500, Doug Blank wrote:

> GRAMPS users,
>
> As we get ready for the release of GRAMPS 3.1, we're finishing up a
> feature request: create a Gramplet that lists a set of Frequently
> Asked Questions (FAQ) and their answers. This information will also
> appear here:
>
> http://gramps-project.org/wiki/index.php?title=Gramps_3.1_Wiki_Manual_-_FAQ
>
> So, what are the questions that you have had, frequently or not, about
> how to do something in GRAMPS? What questions did you have at one time
> (or still do) about GRAMPS functionality?
>
> Here are some that seem to be common, and that I often need to read
> the help:
>
> 1. What is the difference between a residence and an address?
> 2. How do you order children and spouses?
> 3. How do I upgrade GRAMPS?
> 4. How do I create a website with my genealogical data?
>
> What issues (small or large) have slowed you down in GRAMPS? Please
> answer in the form of a question :)
>
> Thanks!
>
> -Doug

How to create a good Filter for a particular purpose is a question I
find myself often asking. There are obviously a lot of things one can do
with filters but one one specific question that could be asked is 'How
can I create a filter to separate out my side and my wife's/partner's
side of the family?'. Based on comments made on the list occasionally I
suspect that because people are not sure how to do this they often keep
separate databases.

Tony

Re: What are your Frequently Asked Questions?

Doug-11
Martin Goose wrote:

> On Sat, 31 Jan 2009 11:05:54 -0500, Doug Blank wrote:
>

>> So, what are the questions that you have had, frequently or not, about
>> how to do something in GRAMPS? What questions did you have at one time
>> (or still do) about GRAMPS functionality?
>>

> How to extract a set of related individuals from one database (deleting
> them from database one) and then importing them into database two (the
> easy bit)?
>
> I assume that I can set a filter and do the export but can I delete
> everyone found and exported by that filter afterwards?
>
> This may not be a FAQ but it is something I think about from time to time!

There's quite a lot of things you might want to do once you have a
filtered list.
Examples: like you say, deleting them
                 using the statistics gramplet, to find out how many
individuals are on the list
                 etc., etc

Re: What are your Frequently Asked Questions?

Duncan Lithgow-5
Has anyone made a FAQ in the wiki? Otherwise I can do it.

Duncan

Re: What are your Frequently Asked Questions?

DS Blank
Duncan,

Yes, there is this that I have been working on:

http://gramps-project.org/wiki/index.php?title=Gramps_3.1_Wiki_Manual_-_FAQ

It needs much more, especially given all the great feedback in this thread! Please (anyone) help revise that page.

It would be great to get some straightforward answers, that get to the heart of an issue.

-Doug

2009/1/31 Doug Blank <[hidden email]>:
> 1. What is the difference between a residence and an address?
added here, answer may not be clear:
http://gramps-project.org/wiki/index.php?title=Gramps_3.1_Wiki_Manual_-_FAQ#What_is_the_difference_between_a_residence_and_an_address.3F
> 2. How do you order children and spouses?
added here, but only for children:
http://gramps-project.org/wiki/index.php?title=Gramps_3.1_Wiki_Manual_-_FAQ#How_do_you_order_children_and_spouses.3F
> 3. How do I upgrade GRAMPS?
added here, but only for Linux and Windows:
http://gramps-project.org/wiki/index.php?title=Gramps_3.1_Wiki_Manual_-_FAQ#How_do_I_upgrade_GRAMPS.3F
> 4. How do I create a website with my genealogical data?
already exists here:
http://gramps-project.org/wiki/index.php?title=Gramps_3.1_Wiki_Manual_-_FAQ#How_can_I_publish_web_sites_generated_by_GRAMPS.3F

Anyone is welcome to continue through this thread adding missing FAQ entries.

Duncan

2009/1/31 Peter Landgren <[hidden email]>:
> 5. How do I take backups safely.
exists here: http://gramps-project.org/wiki/index.php?title=Gramps_3.1_Wiki_Manual_-_FAQ#How_do_I_keep_backups.3F

Others are welcome to help go through this thread adding anything
that's missing from the FAQ

Duncan